Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries in Australia

Salaries in Australia

Old Aug 16th 2002, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salaries in Australia

There has been a lot of talk on here recently about the pros and cons of emigrating to Australia and the pros and cons of jacking it in and returning to the UK later down the line.

One thing that comes up time and time again is the low salaries in Australia. It's very hard to get an accurate picture when we don't know what type of jobs and areas we are comparing against etc.

I know that salary is not everything, and the exchange rate distorts things somewhat, but I'd like to have a clearer picture of the facts. So, would anyone who's recently migrated like to tell us :

1. Where in the UK they migrated from.
2. Where in Australia they migrated to
3. What is their line of work
4. How long did it take to find work in Australia
5. What was their salary in the UK
6. What is their salary in Australia

If you're touchy about such things then maybe you could post anonymously or maybe some guru on this board could set up a script (like a poll) that just collects the data.

I'd just like to have a clear picture from real people because it's not really possible to get this from 'official' sources.

I'm beginning to think that I cannot reasonably expect to get more than 2/3 of my Brighton salary in Brisbane.

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2002, 10:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries in Australia

Nick,

Just a quick note to say that once you have some responses to your questions if you want to work out your approximate take home (ie after tax) pay in Australia the calculators accessible via this page will probably be helpful:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=208

Best regards.

Originally posted by etlniwd:
There has been a lot of talk on here recently about the pros and cons of emigrating to Australia and the pros and cons of jacking it in and returning to the UK later down the line.

One thing that comes up time and time again is the low salaries in Australia. It's very hard to get an accurate picture when we don't know what type of jobs and areas we are comparing against etc.

I know that salary is not everything, and the exchange rate distorts things somewhat, but I'd like to have a clearer picture of the facts. So, would anyone who's recently migrated like to tell us :

If you're touchy about such things then maybe you could post anonymously or maybe some guru on this board could set up a script (like a poll) that just collects the data.

I'd just like to have a clear picture from real people because it's not really possible to get this from 'official' sources.

I'm beginning to think that I cannot reasonably expect to get more than 2/3 of my Brighton salary in Brisbane.

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. I have already done some sums regarding comparative taxation. In fact I drew a graph to compare UK and Australian income tax, NI, medicare etc etc and the result was pretty horrendous.

Someone on AUD $100k a year without private health insurance would loose 37% of their income in taxes.

Someone on the equivalent amount in the UK who was not contracted out of SERPS would lose just over 27%.

On top of that there are also a host of tax free investments available in the UK but not in Australia as far as I know. The only personal tax advantage that Australia has over the UK as far as I can see is a lower rate of CGT if you keep the assets for more than one year.

But, as I said above, it's not all about salary and taxation. I remember sitting in our Brisbane South Bank hotel in January, looking across the river at the impressive transport infrastructure, and saying to my wife 'Where did all the money come from to build that'. Now I know.

And low taxation and high salaries does not buy nice weather, clean uncrowded beaches and fresh mangos :-)
Old Aug 16th 2002, 3:58 pm
Rohan Jackson

Interesting figures in regards to salary taxation. However I still think that the UK
government still gets their share, in indirect taxation, like a 75% greater tax on
goods and services, Tv licenses, petrol taxes being highest in the world, cars being
taxed on engine size, higher registration costs. Government taking their share of
your estate when you die (forget what that one's called?). The tax actually goes
somewhere in Australia, like to public healthcare system which is so far ahead of
the national health it is scary. My mother is English, I'm a british citizen, and
have lived in the UK as an engineer. I enjoyed my time there, but what I took home
after cost of living, I was materially worse off, and after getting ill and using a
NHS dentist discovered just how bad the healthcare system is... Sorry folks, just
the way I saw it. My salary was about the same as it is here, but here I have a
company car with unlimited use and a phone with unlimited use. I was told that I
would have to be earning twice this in the UK for them to even consider this! Having
said all that it is a lovely place, and the countryside is sooo beautiful. Maybe if
I was in IT it would be a different story? Good luck to all those waiting on
Visas...and to all those trying to emigrate who have never been to australia, it is
nothing like summer bay or erinsborough...nor is it like England with sunshine, you
are deluding yourselves if you think that...visit the place before you go through
all the trouble, you might prefer to stay in the UK, as others here who have made
the move, finally decided.

"etlniwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Alan,
    > Thanks for the information. I have already done some sums regarding comparative
    > taxation. In fact I drew a graph to compare UK and Australian income tax, NI,
    > medicare etc etc and the result was pretty horrendous.
    > Someone on AUD $100k a year without private health insurance would loose 37% of
    > their income in taxes.
    > Someone on the equivalent amount in the UK who was not contracted out of SERPS
    > would lose just over 27%.
    > On top of that there are also a host of tax free investments available in the UK
    > but not in Australia as far as I know. The only personal tax advantage that
    > Australia has over the UK as far as I can see is a lower rate of CGT if you keep
    > the assets for more than one year.
    > But, as I said above, it's not all about salary and taxation. I remember sitting in
    > our Brisbane South Bank hotel in January, looking across the river at the
    > impressive transport infrastructure, and saying to my wife 'Where did all the money
    > come from to build that'. Now I know.
    > And low taxation and high salaries does not buy nice weather, clean uncrowded
    > beaches and fresh mangos :-)
    > --
    > nick
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 16th 2002, 5:59 pm
Robert Edwards

Two things that often escape some people (not always but often) is the relatively
high cost of infrastructure in Australia per capita due to the large area and smaller
comparative population AND the lifestyle and lower cost of living. It is very
difficult to accept that you are going to lose money by moving to Australia where the
wages are lower and the PAYE tax is higher however the GST/VAT here in Australia is
10% and the cost of living is 70% (factual figure) of that in the UK. So anyone who
makes a decision to apply to come here will weigh up in their own minds what the
priorities are for themselves and their families.

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com

> And low taxation and high salaries does not buy nice weather, clean uncrowded
    > beaches and fresh mangos :-)

Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:48 am
Nathan Pye

Hi all,

This is something that I have been looking into as well. Given the state of the
housing market in Leicester, i.e. spiralling up almost uncontrolably, I suspect that
moving to Oz would be a one way street - I would never be able to regain my footing
on the property ladder, as my house has trebbled in value over the last 4 years, and
I wouldn't get a mortgage for the same place now.

On the plus side of course, given the exchange rate, I can sell my house, pay off the
mortgage, and with the massive equity available, purchase an Australian property
outright. With no mortgage to worry about, I would then not need such a highly paid
job to keep myself clothed, fed and transported.

On the other hand, there may be merit in keeping my UK property let here, continually
increasing in value, and keeping a steady trickle of hard currency flowing over to me
for those little eventualities.

All swings and roundabouts I'm sure, and given my past history of poor financial
investments, I can be assured that whatever I do will have been the wrong thing.....

Nathan

Old Aug 20th 2002, 2:04 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Rohan,

That one's Inheritance Tax.

Just as an aside, I remember see an Alas Smith & Jones sketch years ago about a Pharaoh getting a architect's quote for a Pyramid. To cut a long story short, the architect said it would be "xxx gold pieces, plus VAT". When the Pharaoh asked what VAT was, the Architect said "Vague Addition to the Total". Kinda sums it up for me...

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Rohan Jackson:
Government taking their share of
your estate when you die (forget what that one's called?).
Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:39 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by etlniwd:

Cheers
OK,
I used to live in Swansea, where housing is cheaper than London, but so were the wages.... you know what I mean, London has higher wages than most places in the UK, but the cost of living is expensive(swings and roundabouts)

Anyway, I come from Swansea (Wales), where houses were affordable, and wages were so -so.
I now live in Brisbane where the housing prices are booming, and is more expensive than back home in Swansea, and the wages are about the same as in Swansea (Engineer).
So I'm worst off here.
Same wages(maybe a tiny bit higher )- and higher cost of living.

I came here from Asia where I was working with my Job/company - had I known what I know today, I wouldn't have bothered to be quite honest. I saved quite a bit in Asia, put it this way - it was enough to buy a house outright in cash back home... 5yrs later here in Australia, I'm slowly eating into these savings... my wage here dosen't cover the cost of living and enough to save as well. I'm very slowly eating into my savings to cover the cost of living here

cheers
Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri:

I came here from Asia where I was working with my Job/company
Which part of Asia did you live? Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore?

Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Singapore would not make you save enough money. The living cost would be much higher than Brisbane (I guess).
Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:29 pm
Robert Edwards

The message doesn't seem to be getting across........wages are a relative to
cost-of-living thing, of course the wages here in Australia are not the same as those
in the UK, US or Hong Kong but the cost of living is not where near it
either......housing......food etc...The relative cost of housing and food (the
quality of which is questionable at times) is through the roof in some places in the
Northern hemisphere....If you want higher wages and then need to fork out to cover
the higher costs of living ..the choice is simple if that is your priority......a lot
of people who come to Australia come for differing reasons such as a change of
lifestyle and security for their families...

Rob Edwards

> There has been a lot of talk on here recently about the pros and cons of emigrating
    > to Australia and the pros and cons of jacking it in and returning to the UK later
    > down the line.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri:

OK,
I used to live in Swansea, where housing is cheaper than London, but so were the wages.... you know what I mean, London has higher wages than most places in the UK, but the cost of living is expensive(swings and roundabouts)

Anyway, I come from Swansea (Wales), where houses were affordable, and wages were so -so.
I now live in Brisbane where the housing prices are booming, and is more expensive than back home in Swansea, and the wages are about the same as in Swansea (Engineer).
So I'm worst off here.
Same wages(maybe a tiny bit higher )- and higher cost of living.

I came here from Asia where I was working with my Job/company - had I known what I know today, I wouldn't have bothered to be quite honest. I saved quite a bit in Asia, put it this way - it was enough to buy a house outright in cash back home... 5yrs later here in Australia, I'm slowly eating into these savings... my wage here dosen't cover the cost of living and enough to save as well. I'm very slowly eating into my savings to cover the cost of living here

cheers
I find it almost impossable to believe that the cost of living is higher in Brisbane than in Swansea. Where in Brisbane do you live that house prices are booming ? My family are all in Brisbane and are enjoying a lifestyle the couldn't have dream' of in the UK. Maybe you spent too long in Asia and are no longer aware of the realities of life in Swansea .
Susan
Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:44 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
The message doesn't seem to be getting across........wages are a relative to
cost-of-living thing, of course the wages here in Australia are not the same as those
in the UK, US or Hong Kong .

I agree went to local in Perth last night paid $6.90 a pint ,car Reg (car tax ) needs paying $460 a year,food bills per week for the 2 of us over $200 water rates $760 plus charged for water usage add another $600 per year second cars expect to pay above $2000 for a 20 year old banger and stamp duty is on the sale of all cars new and second hand.
We have town house realy just a large terrace $300,000 ,take home pay $550 a week.Last wage 9 years a ago I took home 380 pounds a week living in the midlands.
Avarage pay before tax Australia $35,000 compare that UK 24,000 pounds ($72,000),lot of people use line of credit mortgages allows you to draw on value of house and only pay back interest so what happens is you live on borrowed money and never get the bank off your back.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
lot of people use line of credit mortgages allows you to draw on value of house and only pay back interest so what happens is you live on borrowed money and never get the bank off your back.
That means you are a faithful, loyal, and diligent bank employee for the rest of your life just because you want roof over your head.

Rgrds,
Wil
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:13 am
Andrew

Hi nick,

Hayes recruitment agency have done a salary survey for a few different job types at

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/index-
.asp

It's not pretty reading though!

Goo luck, AndyH, Brisbane

etlniwd <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > There has been a lot of talk on here recently about the pros and cons of emigrating
    > to Australia and the pros and cons of jacking it in and returning to the UK later
    > down the line.
    > One thing that comes up time and time again is the low salaries in Australia. It's
    > very hard to get an accurate picture when we don't know what type of jobs and areas
    > we are comparing against etc.
    > I know that salary is not everything, and the exchange rate distorts things
    > somewhat, but I'd like to have a clearer picture of the facts. So, would anyone
    > who's recently migrated like to tell us :
    > 1. Where in the UK they migrated from.
    > 2. Where in Australia they migrated to
    > 3. What is their line of work
    > 4. How long did it take to find work in Australia
    > 5. What was their salary in the UK
    > 6. What is their salary in Australia
    > If you're touchy about such things then maybe you could post anonymously or maybe
    > some guru on this board could set up a script (like a poll) that just collects
    > the data.
    > I'd just like to have a clear picture from real people because it's not really
    > possible to get this from 'official' sources.
    > I'm beginning to think that I cannot reasonably expect to get more than
    > 2/3 of my Brighton salary in Brisbane.
    > Cheers

Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:16 am
Chris

"jery_wang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Ceri:
    > >
    > > I came here from Asia where I was working with my Job/company
    > Which part of Asia did you live? Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore?
    > Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Singapore would not make you save enough money. The living
    > cost would be much higher than Brisbane (I guess).

You can make a packet living in Tokyo (and the rest of Japan, for that matter),
after expenses.

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.