Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saftey on school trips in buses!!

Saftey on school trips in buses!!

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Saftey on school trips in buses!!

Next year my daughters school camp is off to Canberra for a week.

I got a note this am saying that the school want to hire a double decker bus to transport them all round together, with dvd player and toilet to enhance the journey etc etc. But its missing one crucial thing, seatbelts!!! :scared:

Option B is two coaches, which apparently arn't so convienient, neither will they have forsaid luxury. BUT they will have seat belts and for this privalige we get to pay an extra $70

My daughter stropped out of here when i told her it was plan B with me all the way cos you can't put a price on her life etc. She said that no other parents would be worried and that in Australia its different (yeah, no shit )

So i was wondering if anyone else had come accross this and also if any one knows of any bus companies that have seat belts as standard etc.

PS. sorry about spelling, in a hurry!

PPS. Not a stress head parent either, just a bit astounded really
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saftey on school trips in buses!!

Originally Posted by hevs

I got a note this am saying that the school want to hire a double decker bus to transport them all round together, with dvd player and toilet to enhance the journey etc etc. But its missing one crucial thing, seatbelts!!! :scared:

Option B is two coaches, which apparently arn't so convienient, neither will they have forsaid luxury. BUT they will have seat belts and for this privalige we get to pay an extra $70

My daughter stropped out of here when i told her it was plan B with me all the way cos you can't put a price on her life etc. She said that no other parents would be worried and that in Australia its different (yeah, no shit )

So i was wondering if anyone else had come accross this and also if any one knows of any bus companies that have seat belts as standard etc.

I thought they made it law that buses had to have seat belts a while back???

Especially after the Kempsey bus crash.....
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:26 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Not that i am aware.... dont know of many buses that do have seat belts. You wouldnt want them to spend money and make it safer now would you ?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Perhaps it was just the hype after the crash that I remember.....

However I do remember catching a Greyhound from Brisbane to Melbourne and they certainly had seatbelts....
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:33 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

wish it was law, then i wouldn't be stressing

PS i'm feeling left out cos i havn't got one of them blue people under my name like you two
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:35 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

wish it was law, then i wouldn't be stressing

PS i'm feeling left out cos i havn't got one of them blue people under my name like you two

Then go get one.. its for msn messanger
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:38 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Siren
Then go get one.. its for msn messanger
doh!
Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

i'm feeling left out cos i havn't got one of them blue people under my name like you two
Someone wanted a blue person ?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hels
I thought they made it law that buses had to have seat belts a while back???

Especially after the Kempsey bus crash.....
They were talking about it, but it hasn't happened.

I found this bit of info at : http://www.qls.com.au/default.aspx?pid=1223

"Seat belts have been mandatory for drivers and passengers in cars since 1972 and for all interstate passenger buses built since 1994, yet there is still no requirement for seat belts for children on school buses."

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They were talking about it, but it hasn't happened.

I found this bit of info at : http://www.qls.com.au/default.aspx?pid=1223

"Seat belts have been mandatory for drivers and passengers in cars since 1972 and for all interstate passenger buses built since 1994, yet there is still no requirement for seat belts for children on school buses."

Ahhh see now I wasnt going completely nuts!!! (although my hubby might disagree)

I knew they had implemented some kind of law about seatbelts after Kempsey....

Whew...thought I was going dizzy!!!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do double decker &/or all other buses in the UK all have seatbelts?
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

A big worry... I suggest everyone email their local mp, councillors etc. Let them know how we feel and try and get some statisitcs from the Uk regarding the safety records before and after seatbelts were introduced there. I sw a chool bus the other day and it stopped too quickly and all the kids bounced forward. Holding onto the bar infrn of them (as they are advised to do) seems very inadequate and dosent do any good once a bus statrs rolling. I think aus seems more preoccupied with the safety of their native plants etc then the children of aus. seat belt are a must ... so im off now to get emailing etc... who is gonna join me!!!!

BooBoo
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Not only do the buses not have seatbelts they always seem to under order on bus sizes & cram three or even four kids to a seat! It was a real eye opener after being on school buses in the UK, bit of a shock really but here it's the norm.

Loopy
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hevs I am having a better day today, its 11 am an nobodies sued me yet

Buses I'd put my bottom dollar on most parents WONT pay the extra, its disgusting but its the way here. 2 years ago you could pay for meningacocil vaccine but hardly anyone thought their kids were worth it and whinged the government should pay. We paid for our kids vaccines and most people said we were mad.

Last two school trips up here kids have had seat belts, but up to then no way! sometimes they even shoved 3/4 in a row of 2 seats as well.
Roads out to canberra can be icy for shite sake! point this out to the school.

Rich
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:55 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Last two school trips up here kids have had seat belts, but up to then no way! sometimes they even shoved 3/4 in a row of 2 seats as well.
Roads out to canberra can be icy for shite sake! point this out to the school.
Rich
Admittedly from a Qld source but:

QLD solicitors want kids to belt up on buses

I wonder if a bit more shopping for hire of a newer coach might not solve the problem.

Icy roads is a specious agruement - unless taking the highly unusual and normally closed routes through the Alps in winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.