Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Safety in Adelaide

Safety in Adelaide

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:55 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Safety in Adelaide

A couple of good friends mentioned an interesting thing the other day, they were asking me why we had chosen Adelaide and they said that about a year ago they saw a programme that said that Adelaide had one of the highest crime rates in the world and had Hells Angels running protection rackets. I've never heard this and have been on tho the Australian Buereau of Statistics website and SA seems to be the 2nd safest state in the nation with Adelaide doing very well.

Can you put my wife's mind at rest and give us your opinion?

Cheers, Steve.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety in Adelaide

Originally posted by SteveBannister
A couple of good friends mentioned an interesting thing the other day, they were asking me why we had chosen Adelaide and they said that about a year ago they saw a programme that said that Adelaide had one of the highest crime rates in the world and had Hells Angels running protection rackets. I've never heard this and have been on tho the Australian Buereau of Statistics website and SA seems to be the 2nd safest state in the nation with Adelaide doing very well.

Can you put my wife's mind at rest and give us your opinion?

Cheers, Steve.
I vaguely remember hearing something on this subject last year, on another forum. I think some UK program/publication came out with some outrageous statement (that wasn't true) about crime in Adelaide. From memory, there was a bit of an outcry and a quick response from SA authorities putting the record straight.

It's was just a nonsense - how could you compare Adelaide with places like Port Moresby/Johannesburg/Bogota/Lagos?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I would say its all rubbish..but then no one wants to hear my biased views
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety in Adelaide

Originally posted by nickyc
I vaguely remember hearing something on this subject last year, on another forum. I think some UK program/publication came out with some outrageous statement (that wasn't true) about crime in Adelaide. From memory, there was a bit of an outcry and a quick response from SA authorities putting the record straight.

It's was just a nonsense - how could you compare Adelaide with places like Port Moresby/Johannesburg/Bogota/Lagos?
I remember now! It was in the documentary made in the UK about Joanne Lees:

"Move over Johannesburg, Moscow and Baltimore. Adelaide is the murder capital of the world. Well, it is according to a documentary called 'The Trials of Joanne Lees', which has been shown in the UK. South Australians are furious, and the tourism industry is crying foul."

http://personsmissing.org/news.html
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:36 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Move over Johannesburg, Moscow and Baltimore.
when you phrase it like that it does seem a bit ridiculous doesnt it?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:30 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I would say its all rubbish..but then no one wants to hear my biased views
We do!!!!

Cheers.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:59 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

I think that i replied to a similiar thread to this a while ago. But hear goes again!!

I have family in Adelaide who have lived there all their lives. My nan will be 91 this year and is still very much alive! As are my uncles. aunties, cousins etc etc etc.......

Sally ( Born in Adelaide and still here to tell the tale!!)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
We do!!!!

Cheers.

OK..you asked for it!

This crap about Adelaide being some sort of crime haven is absolute rubbish. I was watching the news last week and they were giving the violent crime tolls for the christmas period. Adelaide was way down the list behind Sydney and Perth. Sydney had several murders over christmas!!
I alo live in a very busy and popular part of Adelaide (Glenelg) and it really is no worse than any other trendy part of a city. Yes you get the youngsters being a pain in the arse and yes there is the odd burglary, but you tell me one suburb of ANY city that doesnt have the same thing?
I have no qualms about walking around at night, no fears of being attacked and yes, Adelaide is normal!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:48 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch out near bank vaults that have barrels.

I think the nature of the murders attract the media attention.