Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Safest Beaches In Queenland

Safest Beaches In Queenland

Old May 11th 2005, 2:25 am
C

NEILL & SHARON MILLS is on a distinguished road
Default Safest Beaches In Queenland

In August we are heading to Queensland and touring from Bribane to Cairns , part holiday , part recce.What are the safest beaches to go on ? I have heard that around Cairns there are loads of jelly fish and sharks so you cannot go in the water , are all the beaches like this ?
Old May 11th 2005, 2:27 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Safest Beaches In Queenland

Originally Posted by NEILL & SHARON MILLS
In August we are heading to Queensland and touring from Bribane to Cairns , part holiday , part recce.What are the safest beaches to go on ? I have heard that around Cairns there are loads of jelly fish and sharks so you cannot go in the water , are all the beaches like this ?
Only in the tropics, north of about Rocky.

However, august is not in the stinger season, so the risks are reduced...but...are you really game for a dip in the middle of winter?
Old May 11th 2005, 2:46 am
C

NEILL & SHARON MILLS is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Only in the tropics, north of about Rocky.

However, august is not in the stinger season, so the risks are reduced...but...are you really game for a dip in the middle of winter?
Have had plenty of experiance with the good old British weather , so game on ! Do many people go on the beaches in winter in Queensland , apart from us hardened Brits ?
Old May 11th 2005, 2:54 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya we are in Yeppoon on the coast hours flight North of Brissy, we have been here 11 months and have been on the beach every weekend even through stinger season, if u go to the patrolled beaches they have a report up re jellies etc........its safer goin in the ocean that it is crossin the road......just respect it and you will be fine
Old May 11th 2005, 2:56 am
wombat42

Only in far Northen Queensland , the beaches in the rest of Quensland are safe. sharks are'nt a danger swimming at the beach considering only 2 or 3 people are killed by sharks in OZ a year, compared to 500 drowning at the beach.

Old May 11th 2005, 3:11 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Have had plenty of experiance with the good old British weather , so game on ! Do many people go on the beaches in winter in Queensland , apart from us hardened Brits ?
Probably just tourists and Victorians escaping the southern winter. Locals would be wrapped up in sweaters and ugg boots
Old May 11th 2005, 3:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Only to fish!!! You won't get me in the sea again now until about October!! Having said that, I'll be waterskiing on the rivers/dams... being cold just gives me a better incentive to stay up-right
Old May 11th 2005, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Probably just tourists and Victorians escaping the southern winter. Locals would be wrapped up in sweaters and ugg boots
Winter is peak tourist season in Far North Queensland. Most tourists go there during the winter months - it's more expensive then than during the summer. Also there are no stingers during the winter months (they are around October to March) so another good reason to go there during the winter.

In fact the warmest water I ever swam in, was off Magnetic Island in early September.

From the Whitsunday's south, however, it's a bit too cool (for me) to swim in the winter. If you were only used to British beaches and weather you would probably find it OK.

Last edited by NickyC; May 11th 2005 at 3:28 am.
Old May 11th 2005, 4:13 am
ABCDiamond

Comment from: http://www.visitcairns.com.au/FAQ's.htm

What is the water temperature like at the Great Barrier Reef?
In the winter months (June - August), the water temperature can be between 21 C and 23 C. In the summer months (December - March), it can be 30 C in some places, but is usually around 28 C. It's almost like taking a bath!

Old May 11th 2005, 4:22 am
Absinthe Minded

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Comment from: http://www.visitcairns.com.au/FAQ's.htm

What is the water temperature like at the Great Barrier Reef?
In the winter months (June - August), the water temperature can be between 21 C and 23 C. In the summer months (December - March), it can be 30 C in some places, but is usually around 28 C. It's almost like taking a bath!
Thats true, even in Mackay where I used to swim regardless of the stingers, it was not at all refreshing in the summer, but a bit of a novelty to swim in water so warm, nonetheless.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:57 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Do many people go on the beaches in winter in Queensland , apart from us hardened Brits ?

a lot of retired folk (grey nomads or grey brigade) head up from the southern states in their caravans by the 1'000's in winter. I went on a boat trip up there last winter and there were loads of them out in the sea swimming and fishing etc.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:58 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Only in far Northen Queensland , the beaches in the rest of Quensland are safe. sharks are'nt a danger swimming at the beach considering only 2 or 3 people are killed by sharks in OZ a year, compared to 500 drowning at the beach.

I heard an interesting stat. the other day which reported that more australians are killed each year through urinating on christmas trees than are killed by sharks.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Last August/ September a spring suit helped keep me comfortable for snorkelling and diving. The Whitsundays weren't much colder than up around Carins. I personally would go in September after the northern summer holiday.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:13 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by NJJ
I heard an interesting stat. the other day which reported that more australians are killed each year through urinating on christmas trees than are killed by sharks.
A nasty way to go, Kills an average of 5 Aussie per year, the urine short circuts the lights on the christmas tress causing the electricity to travel through the urine stream into the body via your ***** . If you manage to survive you end up with a very badly burnt *****.

Old May 11th 2005, 7:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
A nasty way to go, Kills an average of 5 Aussie per year, the urine short circuts the lights on the christmas tress causing the electricity to travel through the urine stream into the body via your ****** .
Do you ever watch mythbusters on SBS? They proved in their own special way that electrocution via urine was almost impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.