Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:27 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Originally Posted by Grayling
In your egotistical opinion
you are entitled to your own opinion of me, just as I have my own opinion of you.

Good manners, moderators rules and pity for those who are so obviously afflicted by some form of geographical tourettes syndrome prevent me from posting mine.

Plus, sadly, you come from the same county as I do, and therefore i have a degree of compassion.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 4th 2013 at 3:37 am.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
you are entitled to your own opinion of me, just as I have my own opinion of you.

Good manners, moderators rules and pity for those who are so obviously afflicted by some form of geographical tourettes syndrome prevent me from posting mine.

Plus, sadly, you come from the same county as I do, and therefore i have a degree of compassion.
You are even more pompous than I thought

Get over yourself
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the personal stuff needs to stop for the good of the forum. I cant speak for Grayling but I dont think anyone in this thread hates Australia, anyone that knows me knows I certainly dont but I do hate the way lots of things are done and I hate misinformation but most certainly dont hate the country.
To the OP, there is good and bad in every area anywhere, try to do some independent research and see what people actually living in a specific area are saying. Good luck with your search, it isnt easy.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:13 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the personal stuff needs to stop for the good of the forum. I.
Fully Agree. I don't take kindly to being told I talk out of my arse, i am pompous, or that I am egotistical. I deliberately avoided personal attacks as I think they have no place on BE.

I cant speak for Grayling but I dont think anyone in this thread hates Australia, anyone that knows me knows I certainly dont but I do hate the way lots of things are done and I hate misinformation but most certainly dont hate the country.
I think that a small number of posters display (perhaps subconsciously) a dislike of Australia. It certainly has been noticed and commented upon in PMs. Perhaps next time it happens someone could remind these posters that no one here dislikes Australia.

(Incidentally, if you read my posts I said "Anti Australia" and "dislikes Australia". I didn't say hates Australia.............. )

I also think posters could try to stick to the context of the thread - which was about safe areas in Australia, rather than turn it into a UK v Australia urinating contest.

This thread hijacking was the issue that I originally raised, before i was told i talk out of my arse etc.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 4th 2013 at 7:24 am. Reason: Added the pompous bit.....
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair it wasnt an 'anti' that made it UK v OZ.
Im not saying there arent people on the forum that dislike Australia, I am often laughably placed in that category by people who know absolutely zero about me. Its fine as I laugh it off but it does create lots of tension which achieves nothing unfortunately.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:22 am
Not allowed opinions.

To be fair it wasnt an 'anti' that made it UK v OZ.
Im not saying there arent people on the forum that hate Australia, I am often laughably placed in that category by people who know absolutely zero about me. Its fine as I laugh it off but it does create lots of tension which achieves nothing unfortunately.
Fully Agree, but i restate my original point. The OP asked a very important question, and is going through the trauma of migrating to a new country. They REALLY don't need smart arse comments about safety compared to the UK - they hadn't asked that question.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:30 am
Banned

The 'problem' with the question if you like is that it all comes down to the individual. We knew people who lived in Woodridge in Brisbane and were very happy but we wouldnt live there if given a free house. We lived in a really good area but there were robberies and 2 stabbings that we knew of, one right outside the house following a party gone wrong (that I was accused of making up) We felt much safer in the apparently good area than we would in a 'bad' area.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:38 am
Not allowed opinions.

The 'problem' with the question if you like is that it all comes down to the individual. We knew people who lived in Woodridge in Brisbane and were very happy but we wouldnt live there if given a free house. We lived in a really good area but there were robberies and 2 stabbings that we knew of, one right outside the house following a party gone wrong (that I was accused of making up) We felt much safer in the apparently good area than we would in a 'bad' area.
Indeed. The issue is one of subjective v objective. The NSW state government publish crime rates suburb by suburb. This is the only realistic way of making an informed judgement.

http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/Lawlink..._lga_crimemaps
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is simply your opinion,nothing more, nothing less....Not everyone will agree.
What else can I give on here other than my opinion? You want me to dig up some crime stats
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Its not just your "feeling". Countless web sites show that statistically Australia is safer than the UK.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top...ime-rates.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ry-murder-data

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

In the last article, reports from the EU and UN show that the UK had 2034 violent crimes per 100,0000 residents.

Australia had 92 per 100,000 residents.
Ah cool. Stats
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:02 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

By the way guys.....OP is from Ireland...just saying!!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:25 am
Just Joined

kgdbdotnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itxrd
The guy was targeted. You're not going to get much safer unless you lock yourself away from the whole world. Put it that way

Australia in general with all the laws and being a nanny state is miles safer than the UK. But if you're going to compare Punchbowl to Kensington then maybe now. Apples with apples etc
Australia is only slightly safer than the UK but both countries are well above average for assaults.

Assault victims (most recent) percent population per year

1. St Kitts and Nevis - 3%
2. United Kingdom - 2.8%
3. Australia - 2.4%, New Zealand - 2.4%

Weighted Average - 1.4%

9. United States - 1.2%

20. Japan - 0.1%

From here
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:42 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lettie
We are hoping to be in Sydney in 2013. I'm busy looking at suburbs suitable to our lifestyle, budget.
We have 2 girls; nearly 3 and 5 1/2 and are hoping to be near a beach, park, river or anywhere family orientated.
Have you any advice for me regarding reasonably priced, safe suburbs to concentrate on.
Hi Lettie

To try and return to the original question, I have relatives who live, and have done so for 20+ years, in Penshurst. I lived there briefly in 1989 and loved it, close to the train station at Hurstville, nice friendly area and lots of parks for the kids. From memory, it only too about 20 minutes to get to the beach, and is about 25 minutes to the city from Hurstville by train.

Hope that helps, and good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:10 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Beach time from there is thirty to Bondi or Cronulla unless you count Brighton as a beach. 25 mins to city is probably midnight.
Originally Posted by gregster10217
Hi Lettie

To try and return to the original question, I have relatives who live, and have done so for 20+ years, in Penshurst. I lived there briefly in 1989 and loved it, close to the train station at Hurstville, nice friendly area and lots of parks for the kids. From memory, it only too about 20 minutes to get to the beach, and is about 25 minutes to the city from Hurstville by train.

Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:11 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregster10217
Hi Lettie

Hurstville is a MASSIVE Asian, i.e Chinese/Korean etc, dominated suburb. Nothing wrong in that whatsoever but it might be nice to know for demographic purposes.