Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it safe or common to share accommodation in Australia

Is it safe or common to share accommodation in Australia

Old Mar 4th 2002, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

grieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the rough
Default Is it safe or common to share accommodation in Australia

Hi, I've been granted PR and still deciding to rent alone or share accommodation. The main problem that I noticed is that they also ask for a bond. Does this mean that you will sign a contract with he/she/them because if not, how you reclaim the money when you want to leave? Or even worse, what happen if they decide they don’t want you any more, do they by law have to give some kind of pre advice?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Mar 5th 2002, 9:35 am
Jaj

Default Re: Is it safe or common to share accommodation in Australia

>On 4 Mar 2002 17:03:01 -0600, grieco <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I've been granted PR and still deciding to rent alone or share accommodation.
    >The main problem that I noticed is that they also ask for a bond. Does this mean
    >that you will sign a contract with he/she/them because if not,

Of course you have a contract when you let property. It's the agreement which makes
clear the rights and responsibilites of both tenant and landlord.

A bond is demanded at the start of the lease. How much depends on what type of lease
(eg furnished or unfurnished, level of rent etc) and the State/Territory you are in.
In NSW, 4 weeks rent is typical for an unfurnished property (which is the norm).

In NSW, deposits are held with the Rental Bond Board, which is a state
government agency.

>how you reclaim the money when you want to leave?

If the property is in the same condition at the end of the lease, subject to fair
wear and tear, you get your deposit back. Otherwise the landlord can ask for part or
all of it to be withheld to pay for damage or rent arrears.

> Or even worse, what happen if they decide they don’t want you any more, do they by
    > law have to give some kind of pre advice?

Yes. All that's in the contract you sign, which is heavily regulated by the law.

Many people in Sydney do share, mostly for the reason that they want to live in a
bigger/nicer house or apartment than they could afford on their own. Because of
higher rentals and real estate costs, it's more common to do this in Sydney than
elsewhere in Australia.

Jeremy

Old Mar 5th 2002, 1:37 pm
Tim S

Yes.

And for an interesting look at this aspect of life in Australia, have a read or see
the movie "He Died with a Felafel in His Hands" by John Birmingham.

Old Mar 6th 2002, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Nara is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in a shared flat with my boyfriend and 2 others.

As with all shared houses I lived in whilst in London there are people in the house on the lease and there are those who aren't.
In this case my boyfriend and I took over the lease when the previous people we moved in with decided to leave.

The landlord knows that we have people living with us but don't appear to mind, strictly speaking we need to send a written request for their permission.

When we got people in to fill the vacant rooms we asked them to pay 2 weeks rent as a bond and 2 weeks rent in advance. We ask that the guys give 2 weeks notice before they leave, and that they pay for the ad to fill the room. The person who we choose to fill the room then gives the bond to the person who leaves.

When we finally move out the landlord will give us the bond for the whole flat which will then be distributed amongst the remaining tenants.

There seem to be pretty strict guidelines here about renting and notice periods. I don't have my agreement on me but I know that the landlord/agency needs to give you a generous amount of time to leave - of course that depends on the reason, if they want to sell it's about 3 months (I think), but if you're late paying your rent or you've trashed the place it's a different matter.

We got our place on http://www.flatmates.com.au which is great, and free.

Good luck. Nara