Reload this Page >

The Sad Site!!!!!!!

Wikiposts

The Sad Site!!!!!!!

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:12 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Smile Re: The Sad Site!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Simone
Ah, but if it's only the odd one or two, like you say you think.... why call it the sad site and start a thread about it!?

I agree there are a few, but I consider them trolls.
Then there are a few others, but they're not 100% not happy, they just need to share stuff.

Then there's the majority, who love living here, but there's still stuff to 'whinge' about, nowwhere is perfect.
Yep...you're right Simone maybe calling it a "sad site" was a bit harsh

I'm a saddo too cos I love it on here

I think what Sydney maybe meant though was the odd one or two who are constant whingers...[not the trolls cos no one listens to them anyway].

There are one or two constant whingers who in essence are nice people but they go on and on about how crap things are or how crap some people are or how there is nothing in Aus, making it sound like it's on a par to a third world country. They are credible and you believe what they're saying and then when you get here....you actually find it's not a bad place to live afterall, yeh OK it's not perfect....but it's not as bad as some constantly whinge on about.

This can cause resentment as you then realise that they were talking rubbish and in fact you put it into perspective...and then listen to them some more...and then realise they are constantly whinging about everything and anything...and then you realise it's to gain sympathy..... and you've been duped

Yep, some stuff here is lousy. Gravy tasted like I'd washed my dog in it the first time I made it. Then I looked around, found altertnatives and hey presto. Now tastes like washing up water ....like it used to in UK...lol

I agree people should feel free to say when they're not 100% happy. They should also receive support from their mates on Expats. What I think happens sometimes though is that some expect and rely on the sympathy vote... so they create a melodramatic mountain out of a molehill to gain it....and it ends up making others feel sorry for them or it puts some Expats off when really there is no drama after all

Of course this site needs balance so everyone should have their say and you should make up your own minds. Read between the lines on some posts. Read a posters threads to gain insight in to whether they always exagerating or balanced or negative/positive.

My dad once said "it say's Oxo's on busses but they don't sell em tha knows" [he was from Yorkshire]. In essence he was saying don't believe everything you read. Find out for yourself.

I think it's this that Sydney was trying to say....maybe

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 1st 2005 at 8:24 pm. Reason: Crap speller :)

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sad Site!!!!!!!

Maybe some are 'whinging' more, because they are in a crappier situation than others. Maybe they have a different occupation, live in a different area(which they can't choose to leave), have difficulty making friends, or if family is around, that's not going well...
Maybe they have this wierd unexplainable home/people sickness, that not everyone has.

Maybe they post about it on here, because it feels good to know you're not alone, and to 'let it all out', which you can't with they friends you have, the family, or the family at home who couldn't understand.

Maybe some people react differently to different situations, and we shouldn't judge them unless we actually know them, have met them....

Maybe......
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:59 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Simone
Maybe some are 'whinging' more, because they are in a crappier situation than others. Maybe they have a different occupation, live in a different area(which they can't choose to leave), have difficulty making friends, or if family is around, that's not going well...
Maybe they have this wierd unexplainable home/people sickness, that not everyone has.

Maybe they post about it on here, because it feels good to know you're not alone, and to 'let it all out', which you can't with they friends you have, the family, or the family at home who couldn't understand.

Maybe some people react differently to different situations, and we shouldn't judge them unless we actually know them, have met them....

Maybe......
Simone I take your point but what makes these people believe they are in "crappier" situations than anyone else?

To take your point, if they have a "different occupation" or an occupation they don't like or doesn't earn much...and this makes them upset...then they should change rather than whinge about it. Afterall, how do others do it? I'm sure no one comes along and offers people their qualifications on a plate ....or a dream job they'd always wished to be in. I'm afraid people work for these things...and most often it's bloody hard too, often at the detriment of themselves and their families in order to progress up the ladder to provide a better life and get out of a rut they may have been destined to be in otherwise.

And your point about living in crap areas. Again, they should move then. I know of people who have had expensive holidays in the past, have credit card debt up to their eyeballs or who go out drinking or for meals or weekends away, or buy stuff that's more expensive than the jo average can afford cos it's what they want. Well I'm all for freedom of choice and it's their choice to spend their money on the things they want.... but what's ironic is these same people claim to live in abstract poverty! Well I'm sorry but they should bloody get their priorities right. Most people who live in nice areas and have nice houses work bloody hard day in day out to live there, chosing not to spend their hard earned money on things they would ideally like to just so they can pay a crippling mortgage and just so they can feel some pride in having acheived this for themselves and their family. It doesn't come without a price of some sorts attached.

As for difficulty making friends. True friends are those that take years to establish and most people I know have tons of aquaintances but a handful of real best mates.Most people find it difficult to make friends, especially when moving to a different country, you've only got to read this site to see that. But those that are successful are those people who adopt friends on an equal basis with equal terms, accepting each others values and not relying heavilly on them as their crutch in life, sapping their energy by constantly wanting reassurance or sympathy. People who play this game tend to find they have little or no friends cos their friends start to see through them and get fed up eventually of the same "poor me" and "woe be me" that comes out every time that friendship is challenged.

As for homesickness; Yes I agree it's a terrible thing to suffer from and I know a lot of people on this site who have had this and are going through it. But these same people also make a decision as to what to do in order to move forward, whether that be to go back to UK or to ride with it till they get citizenship. Either way they don't sit back and moan all the time....and then do nothing about it but blame Aus.... or their partners .....or their job....or their circumstances. They do something constructive to change things rather than deem it their destiny to be miserable. I agree pouring out feelings of homesickness on Expats is cathartic and people should be able to do this when they feel like it but as I've said previously, what we're talking about here is people who constantly, constantly say they are homesick and constantly, constantly pick everything and everyone to bits....just cos they're unhappy here.

You're right. People do act differently and we shouldn't judge someone when we've not walked in their shoes. But then everyone has a right to an opinion and their opinions are based on their own judgement, own observations, own values and own perceptions. And I suppose what I thought Sydney the Dog was saying was that hearing certain people moan all the time was "sad" [his words to explain his observation]...

I really do wish everyone well as moving to Aus is a traumatic experience and anyone who does it is really brave in my view, even if they go back, at least they've tried. However moving here is not the end of their lives....it's the beginning.....and it doesn't finish there either. But whatever anyone decides they are in control of their destiny and once they've made their bed, they must lie in it.....and if it's uncomfortable...then maybe they should change the bed

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:00 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Simone I take your point but what makes these people believe they are in "crappier" situations than anyone else?

To take your point, if they have a "different occupation" or an occupation they don't like or doesn't earn much...and this makes them upset...then they should change rather than whinge about it. Afterall, how do others do it? I'm sure no one comes along and offers people their qualifications on a plate ....or a dream job they'd always wished to be in. I'm afraid people work for these things...and most often it's bloody hard too, often at the detriment of themselves and their families in order to progress up the ladder to provide a better life and get out of a rut they may have been destined to be in otherwise.

And your point about living in crap areas. Again, they should move then. I know of people who have had expensive holidays in the past, have credit card debt up to their eyeballs or who go out drinking or for meals or weekends away, or buy stuff that's more expensive than the jo average can afford cos it's what they want. Well I'm all for freedom of choice and it's their choice to spend their money on the things they want.... but what's ironic is these same people claim to live in abstract poverty! Well I'm sorry but they should bloody get their priorities right. Most people who live in nice areas and have nice houses work bloody hard day in day out to live there, chosing not to spend their hard earned money on things they would ideally like to just so they can pay a crippling mortgage and just so they can feel some pride in having acheived this for themselves and their family. It doesn't come without a price of some sorts attached.

As for difficulty making friends. True friends are those that take years to establish and most people I know have tons of aquaintances but a handful of real best mates.Most people find it difficult to make friends, especially when moving to a different country, you've only got to read this site to see that. But those that are successful are those people who adopt friends on an equal basis with equal terms, accepting each others values and not relying heavilly on them as their crutch in life, sapping their energy by constantly wanting reassurance or sympathy. People who play this game tend to find they have little or no friends cos their friends start to see through them and get fed up eventually of the same "poor me" and "woe be me" that comes out every time that friendship is challenged.

As for homesickness; Yes I agree it's a terrible thing to suffer from and I know a lot of people on this site who have had this and are going through it. But these same people also make a decision as to what to do in order to move forward, whether that be to go back to UK or to ride with it till they get citizenship. Either way they don't sit back and moan all the time....and then do nothing about it but blame Aus.... or their partners .....or their job....or their circumstances. They do something constructive to change things rather than deem it their destiny to be miserable. I agree pouring out feelings of homesickness on Expats is cathartic and people should be able to do this when they feel like it but as I've said previously, what we're talking about here is people who constantly, constantly say they are homesick and constantly, constantly pick everything and everyone to bits....just cos they're unhappy here.

You're right. People do act differently and we shouldn't judge someone when we've not walked in their shoes. But then everyone has a right to an opinion and their opinions are based on their own judgement, own observations, own values and own perceptions. And I suppose what I thought Sydney the Dog was saying was that hearing certain people moan all the time was "sad" [his words to explain his observation]...

I really do wish everyone well as moving to Aus is a traumatic experience and anyone who does it is really brave in my view, even if they go back, at least they've tried. However moving here is not the end of their lives....it's the beginning.....and it doesn't finish there either. But whatever anyone decides they are in control of their destiny and once they've made their bed, they must lie in it.....and if it's uncomfortable...then maybe they should change the bed
I think Sydney Dog could have used a different set of words to get his happy feelings across but hey ho. I personally didn't like his appraoch but I am sure he wasn't trying to please me or anyone else, so no matter what you say back he will not give a toss.

Difficult one to comment on this site and what is it used for. 99% of those who come on are real people with life highs and lows. These should be shared but I think the most valuable thing in life is that if you have a problem, discuss and get it off your chest as usually the solution is there. I have used this Forum to put out my thoughts and I am glad it was around.

Today I have had a completely Sh*te Day!!!! But I also got them in Australia. What I am doing is working towards achieving the things I want, doesn't always happen but trying.

I will share my moans and happiness with the Forum, I think those that don't like either, just don't comment.

Merlot

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

You really shouldn't judge people you don't know.............
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

These type of threads hack me off because they are instantly gonna cause a fight and its just pointless.

To those of you who hope to never use this site once you get to Aus, why don't you piss off now then? It is after all a site for British expats, ie those who are living away from the UK to share their expieriences of living in Aus. We all take lots of time and effort to do that warts and all. Wheather or not you see it as whinging or being sad, thats your opinion, but untill you're actually here then you'll never really know how things will work out for you.

Sydney, so glad your happy but its very sad that you feel the need to put down those who are not so fortunate. But hey! no worries, you just go for a swim, she'll be right mate

Pheonix, i agree in some ways to what you're saying but sometimes theres a grey area between the black and white that you won't see unless you actually know the people that you are speaking to. And i honestly cannot for the life of me work out the names of the people on here that you are aiming your comments at Like you i too am a saddo cos i love this site. My post isn't delivered so i have nothing to read in the morning so this site is like reading the mail, kinda

I'm off to clean the pool, pick up my post, walk my dogs, clean the house then go to work. No i'm not whinging but i can't spend all day in the pool can I??

Last edited by hevs; Mar 2nd 2005 at 10:21 am. Reason: crap spelling!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:21 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Merlot
I think Sydney Dog could have used a different set of words to get his happy feelings across but hey ho. I personally didn't like his appraoch but I am sure he wasn't trying to please me or anyone else, so no matter what you say back he will not give a toss.

Difficult one to comment on this site and what is it used for. 99% of those who come on are real people with life highs and lows. These should be shared but I think the most valuable thing in life is that if you have a problem, discuss and get it off your chest as usually the solution is there. I have used this Forum to put out my thoughts and I am glad it was around.

Today I have had a completely Sh*te Day!!!! But I also got them in Australia. What I am doing is working towards achieving the things I want, doesn't always happen but I will share my moans and happiness with the Forum, I think those that don't like either, just don't comment.

Merlot
Sorry to hear you're having a lousy day Merlot. It's not like you to be down so doubt it will be for very long before you bounce back with a spring in your step. Hope you soon feel better.

Re your response:Sydney could have used different words but not everyone can be bothered to explain themselves and he said he was having a great time

And you're right about getting things off your chest. If you read my posts I've also agreed that that's what this forum is for. But we're not talking about people having a good moan every now and again. What we're talking about here is the odd constant whinger, always moaning,always fed up with their life and in effect do nothing to improve it....but just moan

Anyways, I think you've got the picture.

Tata

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:24 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by kath n kim
You really shouldn't judge people you don't know.............
I see. And you've not done the same

I'm giving an opinion. Anyone can take it or leave it. But it's my opinion

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

I see. And you've not done the same

I'm giving an opinion. Anyone can take it or leave it. But it's my opinion
My post is not judgemental towards your views about your life.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:44 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by hevs
These type of threads hack me off because they are instantly gonna cause a fight and its just pointless.

To those of you who hope to never use this site once you get to Aus, why don't you piss off now then? It is after all a site for British expats, ie those who are living away from the UK to share their expieriences of living in Aus. We all take lots of time and effort to do that warts and all. Wheather or not you see it as whinging or being sad, thats your opinion, but untill you're actually here then you'll never really know how things will work out for you.

Sydney, so glad your happy but its very sad that you feel the need to put down those who are not so fortunate. But hey! no worries, you just go for a swim, she'll be right mate

Pheonix, i agree in some ways to what you're saying but sometimes theres a grey area between the black and white that you won't see unless you actually know the people that you are speaking to. And i honestly cannot for the life of me work out the names of the people on here that you are aiming your comments at Like you i too am a saddo cos i love this site. My post isn't delivered so i have nothing to read in the morning so this site is like reading the mail, kinda

I'm off to clean the pool, pick up my post, walk my dogs, clean the house then go to work. No i'm not whinging but i can't spend all day in the pool can I??
But that's the thing Hevs.....we all see things differently and are able to give our opinions accordingly

The reality is everyone will have their own opinion and viewpoint and will see things differently, hence disagreements at times. That's freedom of speech. And that's what Sydney was doing so with all due respect why should he piss off? As Merlot said, we can take these comments on board or dismiss them. No worries

Anyways, I've got to clean the house too...and I'm working from home..and lots to do..... to pay for the house I can't afford...ah the joys of having a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade income eh

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by kath n kim
My post is not judgemental towards your views about your life.
Good point and I apologise.

I misundertood as your comment included .....hence I felt you were also being judgemental, which you are entitled to be of course, just as I am

Anyway's nothing wrong with being judgemental....at least it shows we have opinions. If these opinions are wrong then....we can stand to be corrected

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the most worthless thread I have seen here in a while. Not sure why someone who is having such a good time would start it whilst swimming.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by bondipom
This is the most worthless thread I have seen here in a while. Not sure why someone who is having such a good time would start it whilst swimming.
Thanks for that bondi. Remind everyone to appreciate your comments as much. You might not like what's being said.....but I hardly think everyone's comments are "worthless"

Are they "worth less" than yours

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 2nd 2005 at 11:57 am. Reason: cos I want to...

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That's freedom of speech. And that's what Sydney was doing so with all due respect why should he piss off?
I didn't say he should piss off, i said "those of you who hope to never use this site again" should. It is in reference to all the people (they know who they are) who use terms like "sad" or "whingers" or "should get a life" or "waste of time" aimed at us who still use the forum once we get to Aus. If we all took this attitude who would anyone get any info about "life style and culture" and Aus It gets to me that people think that they will be outside having a fab life 24/7.

Don't get me wrong i have a fab life (though certain things about Aus irritate me some times) and i am busy, just because i choose to use this "sad site" does not mean i'm not enjoying life, far from it. This is how i choose to switch off cos the tellys crap and i don't want to spend my entire life swimming, on the beach, having a barbee, living outside etc etc.

I thank you for your due respect, now go do some more cleaning woman
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:45 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the thing Hevs.....we all see things differently and are able to give our opinions accordingly

The reality is everyone will have their own opinion and viewpoint and will see things differently, hence disagreements at times. That's freedom of speech. And that's what Sydney was doing so with all due respect why should he piss off? As Merlot said, we can take these comments on board or dismiss them. No worries

Anyways, I've got to clean the house too...and I'm working from home..and lots to do..... to pay for the house I can't afford...ah the joys of having a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade income eh
Your so full of contradictions. One point you say people whinge to much, another you say freedom of speech

So what if people use the forum to get crap off there chest, so what if thats all they do? Freedom of speech. If you don't like it and your fortunate enough not to be in the situations some people find themselves in then be thankful for that. Peoples views on what get them down are individual and will not always apply to the majority but through people offering support and suggestions there might be solutions.

Perhaps you do feel duped because you don't agree with what they say but it dosn't mean its not real to them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.