S.a.d.

Old Dec 9th 2002, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Question S.a.d.

Have any of the expats here suffered from S.A.D. in the UK, and if so, how have you found things in Australia?
I would be interested to know if any parts of Australia are better than others. My first choice would be in/around Brisbane as apparently, if you live within a certain latitude of the equator, it is virtually unheard of to have SAD and Brisbane is the first major city that falls within that. However, in order for me to emigrate sooner, I have also investigated STNI within Victoria.
I'm desperate to get to a better climate, but don't want to commit to 2 years in Victoria if it isn't going to alleviate the SAD!
Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.a.d.

Originally posted by gbarker
Have any of the expats here suffered from S.A.D. in the UK, and if so, how have you found things in Australia?
I would be interested to know if any parts of Australia are better than others. My first choice would be in/around Brisbane as apparently, if you live within a certain latitude of the equator, it is virtually unheard of to have SAD and Brisbane is the first major city that falls within that. However, in order for me to emigrate sooner, I have also investigated STNI within Victoria.
I'm desperate to get to a better climate, but don't want to commit to 2 years in Victoria if it isn't going to alleviate the SAD!
I reckon you could get inverse SAD. Like some dissatisfied posters here. "I'm so depressed, it's too hot, no-one told me it would be like this, I wish it were damp and miserable like in England"

you know who you are
Old Dec 9th 2002, 7:45 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he means you, Pommie Dastard.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 9th 2002, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

WARDY is an unknown quantity at this point

I suffer from SAD over here, I was interested to see what you had to say about being near the equator, I guess it makes sense. We will be living on the Gold Coast (if we ever get visas! - Oct 01 London app), so I can let you know in a year or so! I was really hoping to get our visas before the winter, now it looks like we'll be lucky to get them by winter 03/04!?
(This year I started taking Prozac in September, and it seems to have worked, thank goodness!)
Caryn

Old Dec 9th 2002, 10:28 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane as apparently, if you live within a certain latitude of the equator, it is virtually unheard of to have SAD and Brisbane is the first major city that falls within that. However, in order for me to emigrate sooner, I have also investigated STNI within Victoria.

Weather seems over important to you sad lot, its a minor thing.

Winter in Melbourne "You can expect, on the average, around four hours of sunshine per day, with only around two days a month being completely free of clouds."

Melbourne Weather

Summer (December through February)
Summer is hot, particularly in January and February. You can expect to find daily temperatures around 25ºC (77ºF) with around nine days per month over 30ºC (86ºF). Occasionally the temperature may rise to over 40ºC (104ºF). Night time temperatures can drop to around 14ºC (57ºF). Strong winds are unlikely. You can expect on the average around seven hours of sunshine per day, with around five days per month being completely clear of clouds. It is unlikely that you will experience more than eight rainy days per month.

Autumn (March through May)
Autumn is mild and delightful. You can expect to find daily temperatures around 20ºC (68ºF), with only a few days over 30ºC (86ºF). Rarely will the temperature rise above 40ºC (104ºF). Night time temperatures can drop to around 10ºC (50ºF). Strong winds are unlikely. You can expect on the average around five hours of sunshine per day, with around four days per month being completely clear of clouds. You can expect around 14 rainy days per month.

Winter (June through August)
Winter is cool. You can expect to find daily temperatures around 14ºC (57ºF), with some days getting up to around 25ºC (77ºF). Night time temperatures can drop to around 5ºC (41ºF). Strong winds may be experienced on around four days during this season. You can expect, on the average, around four hours of sunshine per day, with only around two days a month being completely free of clouds. There will be around 15 rainy days per month.

Spring (September through November)
Spring is mild. You can expect to find daily temperatures around 18ºC (64ºF), with some days getting over 30ºC (86ºF). Night time temperatures can drop to around 8ºC (46ºF). Strong winds may be experienced on five days during this season. You can expect on the average around three days per month being completely free of clouds. There will be around 13 rainy days per month.
Old Dec 9th 2002, 10:33 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
I reckon you could get inverse SAD. Like some dissatisfied posters here. "I'm so depressed, it's too hot, no-one told me it would be like this, I wish it were damp and miserable like in England"

you know who you are
Right again you Sir are never wrong?

Heat Stress is likely to affect people in all parts of Western Australia during our summer months. The effects of heat stress range from simple discomfort to life threatening illnesses such as heat stroke.

What causes heat stress?
Heat stress may occur as the result of a heat wave or a constant source of heat at the workplace.

Six main factors are involved - temperature, humidity, movement of air, radiant temperature of surroundings, a person's clothing and physical activity.

How does heat stress affect me?
High environment temperatures cause an increased blood flow to the skin, which allows release of heat. Blood is diverted to the muscles if physical work is being performed, resulting in a lower release of heat through the skin.

Heat stress also causes increased sweating, depleting the body's fluid and causing heat intolerance. This reduces work capacity and efficiency. Other signs of heat stress include tiredness, irritability, inattention and muscular cramps.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Right again you Sir are never wrong?

Heat Stress is likely to affect people in all parts of Western Australia during our summer months. The effects of heat stress range from simple discomfort to life threatening illnesses such as heat stroke.

What causes heat stress?
Heat stress may occur as the result of a heat wave or a constant source of heat at the workplace.

Six main factors are involved - temperature, humidity, movement of air, radiant temperature of surroundings, a person's clothing and physical activity.

How does heat stress affect me?
High environment temperatures cause an increased blood flow to the skin, which allows release of heat. Blood is diverted to the muscles if physical work is being performed, resulting in a lower release of heat through the skin.

Heat stress also causes increased sweating, depleting the body's fluid and causing heat intolerance. This reduces work capacity and efficiency. Other signs of heat stress include tiredness, irritability, inattention and muscular cramps.
I remember spending 3 weeks living in a tent at Stanwell Park just south of Sydney, Late November, so the weather should have been OK but it pissed down with rain and was so cold I could hardly sleep.

I remember thinking "I thought the weather here was supposed to be good". Went inland to ACT and it was lovely.

Or the time my next door neighbours in Hertfordshire were about to go to Vic & NSW for a few weeks in August and expressed surprise when I told them to pack jumpers and a coat.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:15 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
I remember spending 3 weeks living in a tent at Stanwell Park just south of Sydney, Late November, so the weather should have been OK but it pissed down with rain and was so cold I could hardly sleep.

I remember thinking "I thought the weather here was supposed to be good". Went inland to ACT and it was lovely.

Or the time my next door neighbours in Hertfordshire were about to go to Vic & NSW for a few weeks in August and expressed surprise when I told them to pack jumpers and a coat.
Yes it seems the weather has a mind of its own where ever you go, anyway must go home golf again tomorrow its going to be 37C god help me , what did you say about my liking it cold and damp?