rusty tools

Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default rusty tools

Does anybody know where I stand with taking tools to Oz that are a bit rusty?

I'm about to get my late husbands tools back for my son and although I haven't seen them yet I've been told they havent been touched in a while and are a bit rusty. How much I don't know

My questions is. will I be allowed to take them. OR.. is there a way to clean them up and if so, what to use?

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to take them.

Thanks

Tracey.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

CassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really nice
Default Re: rusty tools

Hi Tracey

OH is a plasterer and I have just asked him. he said you can get wet and dry sandpaper which you just wet down and then use that to remove the rust. once this is done you can then spray with wd40 to hopefully avoid them rusting again. not sure if this applies to all tools but seems to be how he looks after his.

Hope this is of some help!

cassie
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CassienJames
Hi Tracey

OH is a plasterer and I have just asked him. he said you can get wet and dry sandpaper which you just wet down and then use that to remove the rust. once this is done you can then spray with wd40 to hopefully avoid them rusting again. not sure if this applies to all tools but seems to be how he looks after his.

Hope this is of some help!

cassie
thanks fo rthat.

Looks like it will be a big job
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:10 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracey.d

I'm about to get my late husbands tools back for my son and although I haven't seen them yet I've been told they havent been touched in a while and are a bit rusty. How much I don't know

My questions is. will I be allowed to take them. OR.. is there a way to clean them up and if so, what to use?

Thanks

Tracey.
I think as long as they're clean (not covered in soil or dirt) you'll be able to take them.. I was lucky enough to spend a week cleaning all hubby's tools (ah-hem) before we came out in october, but customs didn't even look at them ... buggers!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SonicBird
I think as long as they're clean (not covered in soil or dirt) you'll be able to take them.. I was lucky enough to spend a week cleaning all hubby's tools (ah-hem) before we came out in october, but customs didn't even look at them ... buggers!
Nightmare

I think we'll give them a good clean. My son will probably enjoy doing that anyway
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Nightmare

I think we'll give them a good clean. My son will probably enjoy doing that anyway
Do spray with the WD40 too, it'll stop them rerusting in transit!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Do spray with the WD40 too, it'll stop them rerusting in transit!
i emailed aquis about the matter before we came out they said that the rust was not an issue for them. they are concerned about contamination so therefore if the tools are jsut rusty then fine but if they are rusty and covered in sawdust, soil or other contaminents then they will need to be cleaned. So basically if its jsut rust dont worry, ours came through customs rust and all!

Lisa.xx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Nasty business ... see a doctor quick smart.

Very painful if left for more than a week.

Thanks

Tracey.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks

Tracey.
We cleaned all our tools, garden tools too. We used Jeyes fluid. As long as the dirt/soil is washed off the rust shouldn't be a problem. Infact they never even got checked by customs. Same with the bikes, shoes.