Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rust what is the true answer?

Rust what is the true answer?

Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rust what is the true answer?

What with the removal people coming in 10 days I have started to look at my tools some of which have surface rust I have taken a wire brush to the larger tools and then painted them with Hammerite but what about allen keys and the like do I need to paint each individual one?

Oh and what about handles for hammers etc?

I have searched the forum but there seems to be two lines of thinking

1. Rust is a no no

2. surface rust is not a problem

I suppose really I would like to here from anyone who has been caught for rust.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Ben F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really niceBen F is just really nice
Default Re: Rust what is the true answer?

try cleaning them up with a wire brush and apply a small amount of oil to the surface
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeh thanks for that, see that is what I was wondering if the tools were oiled would that be ok.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bump!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I shipped ALL my tools ( had to go up to a 40ft container )
I worked on the principal that anything rusty or had been in contact with soil was rubbed back and hammerited.
All metal tools were sprayed with WD40 (mainly to protect them on the voyage over here)

The BIG question is................

If your tools are rusty before you pack them, do you really need them ( they ain't been used much )
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

It is a variation on the initial question but it may help.

I was using my tools up to 2 weeks before we left and we did not take a container with us. We shipped personal/kids stuff out in tea chests which is yet to arrive. Many of my big tools like tile cutters e.t.c were too big and old so I decided not to bring them. I do not regret the decision and have bought new big tools, I do however regret not bringing my hand tools. You put the least value on these tools yet they are the most expensive to replace. I find tools about the same as the u.k with power tools being slightly cheaper. Buying a new hammer, screwdrivers,spanners, trowel,allen keys e.t.c the whole hand tool kit cost me around $850 dollars and that was without everything else.

I spoke to a chippie last Sunday and because he had 40 kg allowance he bought his in on hand luggage, thanks James
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey

I spoke to a chippie last Sunday and because he had 40 kg allowance he bought his in on hand luggage, thanks James

I think you mean "checked" luggage............the chances of boarding with a Stanley knife and a screwdriver has long gone
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by edie209
What with the removal people coming in 10 days I have started to look at my tools some of which have surface rust I have taken a wire brush to the larger tools and then painted them with Hammerite but what about allen keys and the like do I need to paint each individual one?

1. Rust is a no no

We cleaned our tools and gardening equipment with jeyes fluid. They were still rusty in places but didn't have a problem whatsoever getting them into OZ. They didn't even get checked.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rossi
I think you mean "checked" luggage............the chances of boarding with a Stanley knife and a screwdriver has long gone

Yes Rossi I do mean checked luggage unless you are doing any last minute checks !!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209

1. Rust is a no no

they are only looking for soil / seed / vegatation contamination
anything that could bring in bugs / plants / deseases which could cause havoc with the australia eco system

as ive never heard of anyone catching "rust" or it endangering any plant or life form i cannot see why anyone would waste time on it

all my normal tools ( sparkie ) where given a very quick wipe down and and a light oil where required ( when sidecutters and other small tools cost £20 a piece its a wise move to stop any chance of rust whilst in the container )

however bicycle wheels, golf shoes, work boots and anything that could be associated with soil /vegitation / gardens etc where scrubbed and treated with jeyes fluid

o and they really dont like wicker or rattan a small waste paper bin that was packed by mistake was high lighted as potentially dangerous and we were given the offer of $250 to treat or burnt for free, mmm i guess its a burning then
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
they are only looking for soil / seed / vegatation contamination
anything that could bring in bugs / plants / deseases which could cause havoc with the australia eco system

as ive never heard of anyone catching "rust" or it endangering any plant or life form i cannot see why anyone would waste time on it

all my normal tools ( sparkie ) where given a very quick wipe down and and a light oil where required ( when sidecutters and other small tools cost £20 a piece its a wise move to stop any chance of rust whilst in the container )

however bicycle wheels, golf shoes, work boots and anything that could be associated with soil /vegitation / gardens etc where scrubbed and treated with jeyes fluid

o and they really dont like wicker or rattan a small waste paper bin that was packed by mistake was high lighted as potentially dangerous and we were given the offer of $250 to treat or burnt for free, mmm i guess its a burning then
Thanks Steve that is exactly what I was hoping to here. Some of the tools were my grandads so although they will never get used I still wanted them . But thats great it means I can spen time on the other bits now.

That's a beer for you should we ever meet