Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Russell Crowe 'spits the dummy'!

Russell Crowe 'spits the dummy'!

Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Russell Crowe 'spits the dummy'!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/People...123832579.html

A remorseful Russell Crowe says all he wanted was a phone that worked so he could ring his wife Danielle in Sydney.

But whether the phone the fiery Crowe threw in a trendy New York hotel hit a wall, or a hotel worker's face, is now the subject of criminal charges that could land the Oscar-winning actor in jail.

Crowe's degrading day began in a $US3,000 ($A3,925) a night suite in SoHo's voguish Mercer Hotel at about 4am, when he attempted to call Danielle Spencer at home in their Sydney apartment.

Hollywood's $US20 million man then spent six hours in a jail cell before being handcuffed and paraded before news cameras like a prized catch on his way to a New York court.

The day ended with Crowe in hiding and charged with assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

The "dangerous or deadly instrument" cited by police was a faulty phone Crowe unplugged from his suite, took down to The Mercer's sleek lobby and allegedly threw at concierge, 28-year-old Nestor Estrada.

New York police allege the phone struck Estrada in the face, leaving him needing stitches.

If found guilty of both charges, Crowe could spend up to eight years in prison with killers, robbers and rapists.

What actually happened at 4.20am depends on who is talking.

Crowe, through his publicist Robin Baum, said Estrada was unhelpful when the actor complained he could not make the long distance call to Sydney.

Crowe did throw a phone, but it hit a wall, not Estrada's face, Baum said.

"After asking the front desk several times to replace a faulty phone in his room - and getting only attitude from the clerk on duty - Crowe brought the phone down to the front desk in an effort to address the situation in person," Baum said in a statement.

"Words were exchanged and Crowe wound up throwing the phone against the wall. He regrets that he lost his temper, but at no time did he assault anyone or touch any hotel employee."

Authorities view it differently.

"We have a strong case," Assistant District Attorney Chad Sjoquist said.

"This defendant is charged with hitting an employee of a hotel in the face with a telephone. The defendant admitted throwing the phone."

Police said Crowe was sober and cooperative at the time of his arrest - one officer described him as a perfect gentleman - although some reports say Crowe used foul language.

"F*** me, I'm sorry," Crowe allegedly said to police, according to the New York Daily News.

"I really didn't mean to hit the guy. I just wanted to get the f***ing phones to work."

Crowe has a history of a bad temper, but he has been on his best behaviour the past two weeks in the US while promoting his new film, Cinderella Man.

The 41-year-old revealed to reporters last week he used techniques to calm himself down at times when he felt aggressive.

The techniques included "yoga or going for a walk or having a conversation about a completely different subject matter".

According to the London Sun newspaper, Danielle Spencer's overheard reaction to news of Crowe's arrest was: "No, not again, I told you I should have stayed. I want you to fly back today."

After his arrest Crowe was taken from the hotel to a police jail cell in the Manhattan suburb of Tribeca.

About six hours later - enough time for about 100 TV cameras, press photographers, paparazzi and journalists to converge - Crowe was led out to a waiting police car to take him to Manhattan's Criminal Courthouse.

Crowe's arms were handcuffed behind his back as a police officer guided him to the waiting car.

Barricades were set up on either side of the walk to keep the media at a distance.

Crowe, his eyes hidden by aviator-style sunglasses and his stern, emotionless face covered in stubble, did manage to give his new film Cinderella Man a plug.

Throughout the ordeal he wore a blue jacket with the Cinderella Man logo - the same jacket he wore when supporting friend Kostya Tszyu at his weekend world title fight in Manchester.

In court Sjoquist asked Judge Martin Murphy to saddle Crowe with $US5,000 ($A6,500) bail, but the judge allowed the actor to leave the court on his own recognisance. Crowe will have to re-appear on September 14.

Crowe was taken to an undisclosed location.

A few hours later his belongings, including guitars, were removed from The Mercer by acquaintances.

The incident, even excluding the charges and potential sentence, poses other serious issues for Crowe.

Cinderella Man, a movie about 1930s working class hero heavyweight boxer James Braddock that cost $US90 million ($A118 million) to make, had a mediocre opening at the North American box office last weekend, finishing fourth with $US18 million ($A24 million).

Box office experts predicted a long run in theatres, meaning a blockbuster opening was not as important as other popcorn films.

But how will cinemagoers react now?

The charges and negative publicity could also damage Crowe's Oscar chances.

Before today he was thought to be a definite best actor nominee for his portrayal of Braddock.

Many believe Crowe's unruly behaviour at the BAFTA Awards in London just prior to the 2002 Oscar ceremony cost Crowe his second gold statuette for A Beautiful Mind.

Crowe could also find himself facing a costly civil lawsuit from Estrada.

OzTennis
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:58 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russell Crowe 'spits the dummy'!

For $3000 a night I would expect a working phone
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
For $3000 a night I would expect a working phone
For what he earns I'd expect he would have his own mobile? Perhaps he didn't know you have to dial the international code and 61?

OzTennis
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:08 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
For what he earns I'd expect he would have his own mobile? Perhaps he didn't know you have to dial the international code and 61?

OzTennis
Perhaps got confused - am I an Aussie or Kiwi which code do I use
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:19 am
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down What. An. Idiot.

Perhaps he should seek professional help...

I mean!!! *throwing a telephone to a person*!!!... make peace with your brain, Mr Crowe, *NOW*! :scared:
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by seang
Perhaps got confused - am I an Aussie or Kiwi which code do I use
Yeah, might have been listening to Crowded House at the time too - are they Aussie or Kiwi? (sadly, Paul Hester the drummer committed suicide a few months back in Melbourne - severe depression sufferer).

OzTennis
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I think Russell needs a week with Supernanny!! He really winds me up the pretentious little brat! (Ok I'm biased - the producer her assaulted because he cut his crappy poem at Bafta is a good mate of my Dad)
But seriously that employee will be a rich man once he sues the silly sod
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Wake up , His movie came in at #4 whats the best way to get publicity ?? you have already put 3000 xtra bums on seats?? mm
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mr mover
Wake up , His movie came in at #4 whats the best way to get publicity ?? you have already put 3000 xtra bums on seats?? mm
Speaking of posteriors, where he could be headed, I'd be wary if I was him of 'please pick up the soap for me'.

There are ways and there are ways to get publicity.

The way justice works he might get longer than Jacko!

OzTennis
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:24 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I laughed when I heard this.

The headlines in the paper this morning about him being in some sort of fracas with a hotel employee plus possession of a weapon. Geez I thought, he's finally flipped (well more than normal anyway!). It's one thing to not be able to keep your temper in check and thump people on a whim, but possession of a weapon - serious stuff.

Then to find out the 'weapon' was telephone.

I'll never curse or misuse mine again.......

D D

PS 10/10 for creativity there Russ boy
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:28 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Errr excuse me but this is an Australian thread and he is a Kiwi.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Only when , he is a complete dick head
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, get real folks, he's only an actor getting paid, rather handsomely, for behaving like someone else and making it look convincing. He's there to entertain us. Whilst the hotel incident may be de riguer entertainment for the average american, it is only a tantrum.

There are real things to grace front pages of newspapers and transmit to our near galactic neighbours.

One can imagine several of them discussing the latest news from Earth, admittedly a couple of light years stale "God almighty, first they hold a Miss Universe and don't include anyone off the planet then one of their dopes who cannot handle one of their own primitive communications devices, has a brain fart and is hauled in by the local constabulary. Don't go near the place or even answer any of their rather crude attempts to contact any of us. They have cultural AIDS!"
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
So he was trying to phone his wife in the Sydney just near Wellington, he's never lived in Oz and the article was from the Melbourne Age which is near Auckland? Surely Crowe has enough of an Aussie connection to satisfy anyone that it is a valid thread in here?

OzTennis
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The Sun had a great headline today
http://www.thesun.co.uk/

The guy is a loser. Can't act, thinks he's gods gift and needs anger management badly. How his wife puts up with him I do not know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.