Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"The rush is on to beat the Barmy Army to Ashes seats!!

"The rush is on to beat the Barmy Army to Ashes seats!!

Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default "The rush is on to beat the Barmy Army to Ashes seats!!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricke...79571126.html#

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The rush is on to beat the Barmy Army to Ashes seats!!

There are so many expats here which means that plenty of English fans will get tickets. Plenty of people are offering to get tickets for England fans, just look at the barmy army website. Also ticket touting is as strong in Australia as it is in the UK, so there's another route to tickets. Loads of Aussies will be selling tickets on ebay, again another route to tickets.

I can see it backfiring on the Aussies & rightly so. There should be no restrictions on tickets & the Aussie should just have to deal with it.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There are so many expats here which means that plenty of English fans will get tickets. Plenty of people are offering to get tickets for England fans, just look at the barmy army website. Also ticket touting is as strong in Australia as it is in the UK, so there's another route to tickets. Loads of Aussies will be selling tickets on ebay, again another route to tickets.

I can see it backfiring on the Aussies & rightly so. There should be no restrictions on tickets & the Aussie should just have to deal with it.
Don't you see a shrewd bit of marketing when you see one? Create an extra demand for seats in relation to a fixed supply and 'bob's your uncle' - bums on seats sold at a higher price. I have no doubt the BA will be there and I can't wait to see the look on Tuffnell's face after the inevitable.

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:27 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

Well said mayte....I have already agreed to do my best to supply 2 pommy mates with tickets along with myself...Plus a few extra to cover the cost of kine on ebay.
England expects every pom to do his duty and supply tickets to needy poms to lock the Aussies out of the stadiums.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - top story. Love this bit "By last night 20,000 people had logged into the website - cricket. com.au - to register. Among other things they are asked to name their favourite player and state team they support, and whether they would like to receive promotional material from CA." That'll fool those poms!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
Haha - top story. Love this bit "By last night 20,000 people had logged into the website - cricket. com.au - to register. Among other things they are asked to name their favourite player and state team they support, and whether they would like to receive promotional material from CA." That'll fool those poms!
My favourite state team is the ummm, Leicestershire Foxes, my favourite player is Freddy ummm Warne etc.

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:03 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
My favourite state team is the ummm, Leicestershire Foxes, my favourite player is Freddy ummm Warne etc.

OzTennis

we'd love to apply for tickets, but we dont know whether we will be there or not
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superstar
Well said mayte....I have already agreed to do my best to supply 2 pommy mates with tickets along with myself...Plus a few extra to cover the cost of kine on ebay.
England expects every pom to do his duty and supply tickets to needy poms to lock the Aussies out of the stadiums.
We joined the WACA & are thus guaranteed seats for the ashes test in Perth. The WACA closed this route to tickets as loads of Poms used it.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We joined the WACA & are thus guaranteed seats for the ashes test in Perth. The WACA closed this route to tickets as loads of Poms used it.
Somehow I don't think Bruce of Sydney, Shane from Melbourne, Jason from Brissie or Kyle from Perth (not to mention Charlene) would get unfettered access to tickets at Lords, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and the Oval. If the shoe were on the other footeth in other words.

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:54 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see the 'G' selling out, but I've registered just in case.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
I can't see the 'G' selling out, but I've registered just in case.
I can, as the article says the Boxing Day crowd is expected to threaten the world record attendance against the West Indies (the infamous series with the tied test) when just over 90,000 attended. The spice of trying to win the Ashes back, a large travelling Barmy Army, lots of BE's living in Victoria, the best sporting ground (and public), Commonwealth Games year etc, etc and I reckon there will be over 90,000 there on Boxing Day - whether Australia are 1-0 after the Gabba or not. (Is Adelaide or Perth 2nd?)

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I can, as the article says the Boxing Day crowd is expected to threaten the world record attendance against the West Indies (the infamous series with the tied test) when just over 90,000 attended. The spice of trying to win the Ashes back, a large travelling Barmy Army, lots of BE's living in Victoria, the best sporting ground (and public), Commonwealth Games year etc, etc and I reckon there will be over 90,000 there on Boxing Day - whether Australia are 1-0 after the Gabba or not. (Is Adelaide or Perth 2nd?)

OzTennis
Isn't that the 4th of 5 tests? It will be acedemic by then (take that either way to suit!)
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by worzel
Isn't that the 4th of 5 tests? It will be acedemic by then (take that either way to suit!)
Yeah, you are right come to think of it. Sydney always follows Melbourne and is usually last so Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney - or Adelaide and Perth around the other way. I reckon it will be over by then but that is academic, the tickets will be have been sold long before then. The Barmy Army turn up en-masse when they are getting flogged and Melburnians will turn up for a letter opening so I don't expect anything to change.

(Wonderful banner at the Davis Cup match between Australia and Britain in Sydney a while back. 'The poms used to come here 200 years ago to get flogged. Nothing's changed')

OzTennis
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Melbourne is the 4th test. Perth is the 3rd.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:24 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Ashes dates as below;

10 v Prime Minister's XI, Canberra

12-14 v New South Wales, Sydney

17-19 v South Australia, Adelaide

23-27 1st Test, Brisbane

December

1-5 2nd Test, Adelaide

9-10 v Western Australia, Perth

14-18 3rd Test, Perth

26-30 4th Test, Melbourne

January

2-6 5th Test, Sydney

With regards to applying via the cricket.com.au site, you did also have to supply a mobile phone number, I suspect ones with a UK prefix will be ignored, to be honest I thought they would have requested a home address., or asked for written registrations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.