British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Rural Sydney ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rural-sydney-923270/)

Jan n Neil Mar 16th 2019 8:02 am

Rural Sydney ?

Evening boys and girls, we used this forum a lot when we emigrated to NZ nearly 10 years ago and it was incredibly helpful. We are still here but there’s a small chance we might be jumping the ditch to Sydney, we where wondering if there are any areas with an acre of land within an hour max by car or train of the cbd. I realise it’s a big ask in such a crowded city but we have a fairly healthy budget
cheers in advance, jan n Neil

carcajou Mar 16th 2019 10:45 am

Re: Rural Sydney ?

Maybe in the Blue Mountains.

Dreamy Mar 16th 2019 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12654679)
Maybe in the Blue Mountains.

The Blue Mountains aren't an hour away from the CBD though.

Dreamy Mar 16th 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 12654641)
Evening boys and girls, we used this forum a lot when we emigrated to NZ nearly 10 years ago and it was incredibly helpful. We are still here but there’s a small chance we might be jumping the ditch to Sydney, we where wondering if there are any areas with an acre of land within an hour max by car or train of the cbd. I realise it’s a big ask in such a crowded city but we have a fairly healthy budget
cheers in advance, jan n Neil

I wouldn't know about travelling distances and times to Sydney CBD, but when I go down to our local Costco, I drive through areas with large plots, north of Castlereagh, south of Windsor Downs, Marsden Park - that kind of area north of the urban sprawl around the M4. It's also similar south of that urban sprawl too - but how long that situation will stay the same once the airport at Badgerys Creek is up and running, I don't know. Is there any reason why it has to be within that travelling time of Sydney? There are lots of work opportunities in Parramatta, for example, although of course it depends what areas of employment you're looking at.

Have a look at a general map of the area west of Sydney and look north and south of the M4, or west of the M7 (going south) or south of the A2 (going north) - you can tell by the number of roads whether big plots are going to be likely :D - you can always plug the suburbs into realestate.com.au for a price guide.

BIG DISCLAIMER - I don't live in any of these areas - I just travel through them 3-4 times a year - I live in the Blue Mountains, Mr Dreamy uses Springwood railway station which is a journey of about 1hr 25 mins to Sydney CBD. It does always amaze me that you can be surrounded by open fields and minimal housing and be 15 minutes away from the hellish nightmare (personal opinion) of thousands of people.

Kooky. Mar 17th 2019 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12654888)
I wouldn't know about travelling distances and times to Sydney CBD, but when I go down to our local Costco, I drive through areas with large plots, north of Castlereagh, south of Windsor Downs, Marsden Park - that kind of area north of the urban sprawl around the M4. It's also similar south of that urban sprawl too - but how long that situation will stay the same once the airport at Badgerys Creek is up and running, I don't know. Is there any reason why it has to be within that travelling time of Sydney? There are lots of work opportunities in Parramatta, for example, although of course it depends what areas of employment you're looking at.

Have a look at a general map of the area west of Sydney and look north and south of the M4, or west of the M7 (going south) or south of the A2 (going north) - you can tell by the number of roads whether big plots are going to be likely :D - you can always plug the suburbs into realestate.com.au for a price guide.

BIG DISCLAIMER - I don't live in any of these areas - I just travel through them 3-4 times a year - I live in the Blue Mountains, Mr Dreamy uses Springwood railway station which is a journey of about 1hr 25 mins to Sydney CBD. It does always amaze me that you can be surrounded by open fields and minimal housing and be 15 minutes away from the hellish nightmare (personal opinion) of thousands of people.

Dreamy knows the areas outside of the city much better than I do but I was thinking Dural and that way on, towards Wiseman's Ferry.

Dreamy Mar 17th 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12655000)
Dreamy knows the areas outside of the city much better than I do but I was thinking Dural and that way on, towards Wiseman's Ferry.

Ha! That implies I leave the house :D

I only really know my own little bit of the world, but I've commented before to Mr Dreamy how surprising the open countryside is so close to such a huge population density!

Jan n Neil Mar 17th 2019 3:36 am

Thanks - Jan has possibly been shortlisted for a really amazing job in the cbd area. Otherwise we wouldn’t be considering it cos we have a great life in New Zealand. Therefore we are doing our due diligence so as not to possibly put people to extra work if we decide it’s not for us. We need space as we will be bringing four dogs, and we are used to rural living in NZ. But the commute looks like it may be a showstopper for us perhaps.......

Kooky. Mar 17th 2019 3:43 am

I've just had a quick search on realestate.com.au for property type = acreage in Dural and surrounds, and it is possible. Give it a go.

spuddyo Mar 17th 2019 8:46 pm

Berowra, Mount Colah, Cowan, Hawkesbury River all within an hour of Sydney by road or train and all have large properties around them.

Jan n Neil Mar 19th 2019 7:15 am

Thanks everyone, that’s given us something to work with
cheers Neil