Reload this Page >

Running for the joy of it

Running for the joy of it

Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:09 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running for the joy of it

I guess we were all (except the fatties) superfit when youngsters, but somehow it all seems to fade away as you get older and start eating more without burning it off, boozing etc.

It was only when (in my late 20s) I was on Koh Tao, diving for 4 hours a day for 3 weeks (diving sure gets you fit), sleeping soundly, eating healthily and not boozing, that one day I found myself running - running like Forest Gump, running with ease, fit, no stamina or stitch problem - I did about 2 kms without thinking about it. I was running for the joy of it.

Of course, I went back to my mundane work life and bad habits and turned into a sad old unfit fart again with only brief interludes of fitness (shorter scuba diving trips).

Now, in NZ, I really get the impression I will be running for the joy of it again. All those tramps to the beach in search of penguins with a 15 kilo chimp on my back - 5 kilometres to one of our favourites. In fact, I am on the tramp on or to and from beaches just about every day.

I hereby resolve to give up the only impediment (too much booze) and get superfit again!

Sincerely.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to start training for the triathlon soon. My excuse at the weekend was that I surfed for 3 hours. I will try a 4km run tonight.

The problem with exercise is I tend to reward myself with beer afterwards.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:15 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hash house harriers in HK - now there's a memory...always followed by booze though.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Since Nov I've lost a stone witout even trying - just taking advantage of the outdoor lifestyle and cycling to work.

And I'm still buying the beer by the slab........
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hash house harriers in HK - now there's a memory...always followed by booze though.
I did that when I was 18 in Alexandria. There was a bit of running followed by plenty of Stella. Sounds great but Egyptian Stella was a inconsistent in strength, quality and contents. Cockroach beer was my favourite.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:37 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

I started running the year before we came out to OZ, and lost a stone in weight. I'm not over weight by any standards so I became too thin looking. I was running a max of 5K, 4-5 days a week, I was slow it would take about 35mins each time.

Now that I ve been in Oz for four months the weight has been creeping up so I have just started to run again to keep fit. I have done three runs in a week, each about 10 mins each so I guess its about 1 1/2 K each run.

So far I have lost 4-5 lbs, I run straight out of my front door, along the seafront and back.

Its great when it gets easier but then you make it harder for yourself by running faster or for longer!! bizarre!!

Tracey
Old Jan 20th 2004, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Trayla.. i have seen more fat on a sparrows knee cap!!!!!...you are in great shape!

I wasn't always a fatty either.... *sob*..

I was a competitive swimmer in my teens and never dreamt i would have problems...shows how wrong you can be!!...but i always hated running. I think it is bad for your joints and would much rather work my muscles in water.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:14 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Trayla.. i have seen more fat on a sparrows knee cap!!!!!...you are in great shape!

I was a competitive swimmer in my teens and never dreamt i would have problems...shows how wrong you can be!!...but i always hated running. I think it is bad for your joints and would much rather work my muscles in water.
Don't worry PP - we're endocrinologically challenged, remember!

Swimming is possibly the best sport to get in shape because it exercises every muscle group without the strain. I used to swim every day and four times on Wednesdays when I was younger - had wet hair for 7 years! Sadly, I can't make it to our packed local pool because it's always full of school kids. So I run instead. It never fails to amaze me when I see those people on their treadmills in the gym overlooking the park I run around - why don't they save themselves a heap of money and run round the park instead???!!!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:04 am
WBB

Default Re: Running for the joy of it

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I guess we were all (except the fatties) superfit when youngsters, but somehow it all seems to fade away as you get older and start eating more without burning it off, boozing etc.

It was only when (in my late 20s) I was on Koh Tao, diving for 4 hours a day for 3 weeks (diving sure gets you fit), sleeping soundly, eating healthily and not boozing, that one day I found myself running - running like Forest Gump, running with ease, fit, no stamina or stitch problem - I did about 2 kms without thinking about it. I was running for the joy of it.

Of course, I went back to my mundane work life and bad habits and turned into a sad old unfit fart again with only brief interludes of fitness (shorter scuba diving trips).

Now, in NZ, I really get the impression I will be running for the joy of it again. All those tramps to the beach in search of penguins with a 15 kilo chimp on my back - 5 kilometres to one of our favourites. In fact, I am on the tramp on or to and from beaches just about every day.

I hereby resolve to give up the only impediment (too much booze) and get superfit again!

Sincerely.
i would like to see you go head to head with badgers, what an event that would be.

the iron man of expats.

Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:07 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i would like to see you go head to head with badgers, what an event that would be.

the iron man of expats.

I still have this image of Badge running back from the supermarket with sundries in an oversized backpack.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
I still have this image of Badge running back from the supermarket with sundries in an oversized backpack.
Me too, I told Dagboy about that post, I think my exact words were "Badgers is barking mad" LOL.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:14 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Me too, I told Dagboy about that post, I think my exact words were "Badgers is barking mad" LOL.
A fairly accurate statement, I think!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I'd better not let on that I jog every day and play tennis most days then.

OzTennis
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:01 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum

Hi PP,

I know that running is bad for you, my hubby has ran for over 15 years and has trouble with his achilles tendons so much that he finds it hard to walk up and down stairs, especially in the mornings.

I'm not very good at swimming though, can't seem to get the coordination right, plus I can't see a damn thing when I take my specs off.

Hows your swimming going, have you had chance to go this week?

BTW, why have you changed your picture to a pussycat???

Trayla
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:01 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by OzTennis
I'd better not let on that I jog every day and play tennis most days then.

OzTennis
Jogging and tennis are fine, OzT. It's the running several miles back from the supermarket with your backpack full of beans that's a bit unusual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.