Reload this Page >

Running a internet business from Uk but living in oz

Running a internet business from Uk but living in oz

Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough
Default Running a internet business from Uk but living in oz

HI
i have thought of a internet business idea that i would like to do from the uk, but i live in oz, does anyone know how this would work with tax etc, would i have to pay it in both countries, i have choose the uk as i know all about what i would be doing as i have done this already in the uk, and there is already something similar running in oz, any advice on this would be great
thankyou
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Running a internet business from Uk but living in oz

Can anyone answer this one please
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:08 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

No your won't be taxed twice.
I think you would have to charge the UK VAT, but any profits you make would be taxed in Oz as thats where the company is run from.

Originally Posted by andyaldy
HI
i have thought of a internet business idea that i would like to do from the uk, but i live in oz, does anyone know how this would work with tax etc, would i have to pay it in both countries, i have choose the uk as i know all about what i would be doing as i have done this already in the uk, and there is already something similar running in oz, any advice on this would be great
thankyou
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:13 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
No your won't be taxed twice.
I think you would have to charge the UK VAT, but any profits you make would be taxed in Oz as thats where the company is run from.
yes re double tax agreement, but there are more complicated rules than that for which country it would be taxed in (knowledge from UK tax perspective although a few years out of date, but some fundamental things don't change often). This you need to get professional advice for your particular circumstances, and with advice the way you set it up could save tax.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

I have first hand experience of this.

But my business is based in the UK, even though I live in Australia (it's a partnership with a UK address), and serves Brits/Euros. Therefore it is not quite the same but you may be able to work from this or learn something from it.

VAT charged to customers (if applicable). UK tax paid only. Not treated as Aus income, therefore not taxable. However, UK income is able to be presented as a factor in gaining credit/mortgage.

You're here and not there. That may make a difference. Therefore seek the advice of your accountant who will know the answer for sure as he/she will contact the tax office and make a note of the comments for future reference - just like mine did. No more sleepless nights looking forward to a big tax bill!

Paul.