Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rumoured Free Flights to Australia by Govt.

Rumoured Free Flights to Australia by Govt.

Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all
Default Rumoured Free Flights to Australia by Govt.

In case you didn't see this story in the UK Sunday Times today...

The Australian government are rumoured to be offering free flights from UK to Australia if tourists spend $2500 on goods and services to boost the economy.

Full article here

If true, this is great news for those of us who have family and friends from UK coming over in the future.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rumoured Free Flights to Australia by Govt.

Originally Posted by northernlights

The Australian government are rumoured to be offering free flights from UK to Australia if tourists spend $2500 on goods and services to boost the economy.

Full article here

If true, this is great news for those of us who have family and friends from UK coming over in the future.
Yeah but its on Qantas
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

' The Australian government are rumoured to be offering free flights from UK to Australia if tourists spend $2500 on goods and services to boost the economy. '

Very telling.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yeah but its on Qantas
After the last flight to LA with them, they would need to pay me to fly with them

I swear the plane was so old, it rattled and shook to such an extent I did actually wonder if I would get off alive
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but its on Qantas
Superb airline, couldn't fault their service on this trip.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernlights

Full article here

For a minute I thought April Fools Day has come early, so I had to check the calendar to make sure. This sounds to me like a Virgin Blue gimmick.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Yeah but its on Qantas
I have flown with Qantas...................I found them ok!!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
The reports by people flying with them seem to vary according to the age of the plane.

My trip with them to singapore was OK, my trip with them to LA was on a plane so old, that flight was cancelled at least 3 times that month, due to major mechanical problems. Couple of other people on here had equally scary experience to LA, might have been the same plane. Think if you go melb or syd - LA you get a new plane.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear . . . it's soooo easy to get lost in those big airports isn't it?!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:15 am
ABCDiamond

But what about Virgin

Rumours that the Australian government is considering offering free flights to boost the country’s ailing tourism economy were fanned when the Brisbane-based no-frills carrier Virgin Blue said that it was willing to support the scheme.

Virgin Blue’s chief executive, Brett Godfrey, said offering free flights to travellers willing to spend more than £2,500 on goods and services in Australia could be this generation’s answer to the “ten-pound Pom” fares offered after the second world war to encourage British citizens to migrate to Australia. “You have to do something out of the ordinary to get people’s attention,” he said.
The "Mayday Project" is the brainchild of Independent Tourism Holdings' innovation director Glenn Millen, who says the free flights, favourable exchange rate and novelty of the promotion would position it strongly to succeed.

He planned to put his plan to the Federal Government mid March... and that's all so far...

Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, so they are saying 2500 POUNDS (not dollars) to qualify for a free flight!

Well if that's per person/seat then it's a very expensive free flight for tourists!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The reports by people flying with them seem to vary according to the age of the plane.

My trip with them to singapore was OK, my trip with them to LA was on a plane so old, that flight was cancelled at least 3 times that month, due to major mechanical problems. Couple of other people on here had equally scary experience to LA, might have been the same plane. Think if you go melb or syd - LA you get a new plane.
Due to the ongoing delays in the Boeing 787 (of which Qantas is the largest customer) program, they are having to keep their older planes flying longer than planned.

When I was doing my military service in Africa we flew on planes that were built in 1943. That was shake, rattle and roll!