Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ruddy stimul-ass!

Ruddy stimul-ass!

Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ruddy stimul-ass!

Right this is crazy all this talk about stimulus this and stimulus that...

Does anyone for sure clarify whether someone who is in this situation WILL QUALIFY for this stmilus or not:

Working in Australia since December 2008, earning less than the $100k and is on 457.

Do we qualify for stimul-ass? or not?

Eh Rudd??:curse:
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Probably not as you had to have lodged a tax return for the 07/08 year.

sorry
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Syedney
Right this is crazy all this talk about stimulus this and stimulus that...

Does anyone for sure clarify whether someone who is in this situation WILL QUALIFY for this stmilus or not:

Working in Australia since December 2008, earning less than the $100k and is on 457.

Do we qualify for stimul-ass? or not?

Eh Rudd??:curse:
No.

You do not fulfill this criteria, if you only started in Dec 2008.
  • has paid some tax in the 2007/2008 tax year

Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Originally Posted by bridie
Probably not as you had to have lodged a tax return for the 07/08 year.

sorry
Hmm, I've recently filed a tax return for 07/08, so I wonder if we'll qualify when we move Down Under? Or do you also need to be resident in Australia for that period?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Hmm, I've recently filed a tax return for 07/08, so I wonder if we'll qualify when we move Down Under? Or do you also need to be resident in Australia for that period?
You need to be classed as 'Resident for Australian Tax purposes', and have an adjusted tax liability greater than nil, showing on your 2007/08 notice of assessment.

If you are eligible, your cheque will be on its way to the address on the return... or the bank account that any previous refund went to..

Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You need to be classed as 'Resident for Australian Tax purposes', and have an adjusted tax liability greater than nil, showing on your 2007/08 notice of assessment.

If you are eligible, your cheque will be on its way to the address on the return... or the bank account that any previous refund went to..
Hmm, well I own an investment property in Adelaide and receive income fron it, so I've been required to complete an Australia tax return every year since I came to the UK, despite not living in Australia. And I'll be paying a tax bill in this financial year. So I'm not sure what that means.

Presumably I am liable for the tax but not eligible for the $900!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, well I own an investment property in Adelaide and receive income fron it, so I've been required to complete an Australia tax return every year since I came to the UK, despite not living in Australia. And I'll be paying a tax bill in this financial year. So I'm not sure what that means.
If you've been doing Australian tax returns, then the ATO have classed you as "resident for tax purposes". That's the bit that matters; it has nothing to do with physical presence in Australia.

Next you must have paid more tax than the low-income tax-offset. Last year that was $750. So, if you ended up physically paying over an amount (by bank transfer, cheque etc) for tax last year (and your income wasn't over the thresholds), then you qualify for the money.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:51 am
ABCDiamond

Presumably I am liable for the tax but not eligible for the $900!
I am not sure.

I read this page: http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/64131.htm and got the feeling you may be non-resident for tax, but individual circumstances can differ.

Do you get the $6,000 tax free threshold on your tax return ?
If you do, you are on residents tax rates, otherwise non-resident.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Have a feeling you well be non-resident. Non-resdients have to lodge tax returns if they have income that is taxable in Australia:

"If you are a non-resident of Australia, you will only need to lodge a tax return if you have income that is taxable in Australia. This excludes any income from which non-resident withholding tax has been deducted. Examples of income that may be subject to non-resident withholding tax are bank interest and unfranked dividends."

Check out the resident/non-resdient examples at the ATO site:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/36280.htm
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:49 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you've been doing Australian tax returns, then the ATO have classed you as "resident for tax purposes". That's the bit that matters; it has nothing to do with physical presence in Australia.

Next you must have paid more tax than the low-income tax-offset. Last year that was $750. So, if you ended up physically paying over an amount (by bank transfer, cheque etc) for tax last year (and your income wasn't over the thresholds), then you qualify for the money.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am not sure.

I read this page: http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...tent/64131.htm and got the feeling you may be non-resident for tax, but individual circumstances can differ.

Do you get the $6,000 tax free threshold on your tax return ?
If you do, you are on residents tax rates, otherwise non-resident.
Righto, thanks guys. ABC, I don't know if I get the $6k tax free threshold; I'll ask my accountant and see what she can tell me.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Righto, thanks guys. ABC, I don't know if I get the $6k tax free threshold; I'll ask my accountant and see what she can tell me.

I can guess what she might tell you: that'sll be $400 thanks!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 9:07 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Originally Posted by Syedney
I can guess what she might tell you: that'sll be $400 thanks!
Hahah!

Her bill is currently just over $600, so if I do get the $900, I know where it's going!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Unhappy Re: Ruddy stimul-ass!

Damn. The ATO has decided that I'm "deemed non-resident for taxation purposes".

Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

B*gger
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

in the words of nelson,
har har
( the simpsons one not the guy who stuffed the frenchies )