Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rubbish clothes?

Rubbish clothes?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

BrightYellowGun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rubbish clothes?

Sorry for starting a new thread but I couldn't find anything that answered my questions elsewhere...

I've seen it mentioned on a few threads that the clothes in Australia are crap. Is this true?

Does it depend on the area? My cousin from Tasmania couldn't believe the fashions here in the UK but I would have thought Sydney and Melbourne had some decent shops.

Are there any UK examples you can give for what clothes are like over there? Are there chains that are similar to UK chains?

I'm no fashionista by any means, but I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to buy stuff I like. Luckily I bought a load of stuff in the January sales (before I knew I was going to Oz) which is suitable for a warmer climate!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rubbish clothes?

Loads of people complain about the quality and style of clothing they find. Personally I'm really happy with both and judging by threads on here, I'm not the only one. I find it easier to get clothes to fit me here (I must have a strange body ). There are stacks of small boutique shops and small chain stores around me (never visited another state or even other cities for clothing so can't speak for them) and after a visit to the UK last year, was not convinced that the fashions and styles are any different when you take into account the seasons happen at different times.

Both teenage daughters are quite happy with the clothes they find here, and again, whilst liking the shopping in the UK last year, didn't see any difference in quality or fashion trends etc and they are both into their fashion and how they look.

There is obviously rubbish around but clothes here are made by the same factories in Asia that UK clothing companies use so don't believe that overall the quality is any poorer generally speaking.

It's a matter of personal choice I guess
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I've seen it mentioned on a few threads that the clothes in Australia are crap. Is this true?
Yes, on the whole very poor quality, and expensive too, bring all you can with you, there are no good quality high street shops like Next here and everyone will comment on your clothes bought in the UK, in my experience T-shirts last two washes, whereas today for example Im wearing a Next top that I reckon is about 10 years old and looks perfect....

Get down to H and M, and Marks etc before you leave! I spent nearly 200 quid in M and S when I was back in June! that should do me for a while!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne and Sydney are fine, loads of shops. IMO better than the UK in a lot of areas. The UK these days are just repetitive chain stores, all I ever hear is people saying they miss M&S, Next etc. I think Melbourne has loads more going for it with loads of little independent shops all over the place as well as chains such as Mango, French Connection etc.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:35 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I would say that overall in the kmart/target types of shops the clothes are a poorer quality-mind you here is a lot of crap quality in the UK. There are shops like Supre that deal with young teen girls, Jay Jays for the older teens and other shops like Dotti and Portmans for the twenty/thirty age groups. There are other chains such as Jeanswest and Tempt and Sportsgirl for typical fashions of the day too.
Then you have shops like Sussan,Katies,Rockmans and others that have stuff for the 30's,40's and upwards
The big stores like Myer and David Jones are an equivalent to the Debenhams type of department stores and they have extensive fashion/clothes as you would expect.
If you want something very flash like a ball gown or one off outfit you would prob need to go to a boutique shop of which there are thousands to be found.
In Perth we also have an Outlet Shopping areas with loads of independant clothing shops.
So, no, you wont find Topshop, Next (isnt there a Next in Joodalup?) Dorothy Perkins etc etc here.
I would like to stress that the age groups I have given are purely my interpretation of their general target markets and based on my opinion only
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrightYellowGun

Are there any UK examples you can give for what clothes are like over there? Are there chains that are similar to UK chains?

Do you remember Grace Brothers?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Ahh yes! the leotard and handbag department.......
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I think the clothes are fine!! Myers is comparible to Debenhams and David Jones is like Davis Morgan in Cardiff...

I havent struggled AT ALL and at least here when they have a sale, they have a sale!!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:16 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrightYellowGun
Sorry for starting a new thread but I couldn't find anything that answered my questions elsewhere...

Does it depend on the area? My cousin from Tasmania couldn't believe the fashions here in the UK but I would have thought Sydney and Melbourne had some decent shops.

I'm no fashionista by any means, but I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to buy stuff I like. Luckily I bought a load of stuff in the January sales (before I knew I was going to Oz) which is suitable for a warmer climate!
I would say the quality / Style of clothes is fine. Although i can't remember the last time i wore anything other than t-shirts / Shorts.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Ahh yes! the leotard and handbag department.......
Going up!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
I think the clothes are fine!! Myers is comparible to Debenhams and David Jones is like Davis Morgan in Cardiff...

I havent struggled AT ALL and at least here when they have a sale, they have a sale!!
That's all well and good, but you is Welsh!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

fashions are diff here however i have never found it to be a prob to be honest

i found high waisted trousers in target last yr - in june cost me $30 washed really well

i love crossroads for some stuff - target is good - rockmans for some = infact my fav dress i brought there last dec 07 its a white cheescloth dress cost me $10 in sale - have worn it for 1 spring, and 2 summers and has been worn to death , still looks fab

in the uk i was a size 18 could never find jeans/trousers that fitted - in au i have a robe full of them - in size 16

i use to shop in new look ,dp's primark,peacocks and next and debs

i think it does take some getting use to - aussie do like there nasty polyster trousers - but if you look you will find shops that you like

i also think how the clothing fares is what kind of washing mashine you have a top loader - is crap on clothes they come out looking like dish rags - and lose buttons all the time - where a front loader is so much nicer and kinder on clothes - so they seem to last longer
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it is nice that we're all a size smaller here!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

i always stock up at tkmaxx when back in the uk.
all the surf brand t-shirts , boardies and thongs are half price what you pay here and thats all i seem to wear.

kids clothes are way better in the uk.
our little boy is always getting coments on his cool threads, thanks nana keep the parcels coming..
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
kids clothes are way better in the uk.
our little boy is always getting coments on his cool threads, thanks nana keep the parcels coming..
I though kids clothes were a bit naff in the UK. We always ordered from DrJays in the US and he was the coolest kid in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.