British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   RPL - how long ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rpl-how-long-111527/)

dazza Sep 17th 2002 11:25 am

RPL - how long ?

Hi, I am currently completing my RPL forms(for IT) and I think that I have gone a bit over the top. I have written about 50 pages for the areas of knowledge and work experience(I also have lots of docs from work I can add). Does anyone think this is over the top ? How much info did the rest of you put in ?

Thanks..

:rolleyes:Dazza :rolleyes:

del Sep 17th 2002 12:47 pm

Re: RPL - how long ?

Dazza,

I'm just about to courier my RPL application off to beat the October 1st deadline. In my RPL application I've completed 37 pages, and I thought that was a good effort! I don't think they look for quantity, the emphasis is more on quality, so as long as it's 50 pages of quality, I don't think you should worry too much.

I've managed to get 2 previous employer references, plus my existing employer (totalling approx 7 years work), and am also submitting the Statutory Declaration for periods where employer references are not available. In all, with the copies of my passport, CV, RPL application form, etc... I will be sending 11 different types of supporting documentary evidence.

The more evidence you can give the ACS that you actually do what you say you do, the more chances you will have of getting a positive assessment, so I'm led to believe.

Good luck.
Del

dazza Sep 17th 2002 12:55 pm

Del, thanks for the reply. You've got me worried now though, whats the October 1st deadline for ?

:( Dazza :(

del Sep 17th 2002 1:09 pm

Dazza,

Very briefly, from October 1st 2002, applicants for RPL must have at least 6 years work expereince to receive a positive assessment from ACS. Up until then, 4 years is sufficient. I believe that on top of the above experience requirements, you also have to show that you have been employed in your stated profession for 12 months out of the previous 18.

I'm sure the experts will put me right on this if I'm wrong.

Del

ptlabs Sep 17th 2002 1:37 pm

Presently, until 30 Sept 2002:

ACS requirements for RPL: 4 years IT experience - deeming date will be issued usually at the end of the required 4 years.

DIMIA basic requirements: work experience for at least 12 months out of the past 18 months. Work experience before deeming date does not count for anything.

DIMIA specific work experience requirements for bonus points: at least 3 of last 4 years in related field; work experience before deeming date is not counted.

Starting from 1 Oct 2002:

ACS requirements for RPL: 6 years IT experience - deeming date will be issued usually at the end of the required 6 years.

DIMIA basic requirements remain unchanged - 12 of last 18 months work experience; experience prior to deeming date accounts for nothing.

DIMIA specific work experience requirements for bonus points remain unchanged.

Peter

dazza Sep 17th 2002 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, fortunately this doesn't affect me, I have 9.5 years continuous IT experience. I am still unclear about this deeming date thing though, does it mean that I'll get one for December 1992 ? And what does that mean ?

Dazza

ptlabs Sep 17th 2002 2:24 pm

Dazza,

Take a look at this page:
http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm

And do a search for "deeming date" on this forum. You're bound to get something informative if you look hard enough.

Peter

Originally posted by dazza:
I am still unclear about this deeming date thing though, does it mean that I'll get one for December 1992 ? And what does that mean ?

del Sep 17th 2002 2:26 pm

As I understand it, deeming date is when the ACS have "deemed" that you have enough experience to meet their requirements.

So, using your dates as an example, if you have been working in IT since 1992, then using the guidleines post-October 1st 2002, the ACS will give you a deeming date of 1992 + 6 years = 1998 (assuming you pass the RPL).

Then on top of this, as Peter explained alot better than me above, they will expect you to have 3 years experience out of the last 4 for you to earn the extra bonus points. Since your deeming date would be 4 years ago, then I would have thought that you would qualify for this.

Del

dazza Sep 17th 2002 2:46 pm

Cheers guys, much clearer now.

:D Dazza :D

Tina Sep 17th 2002 6:59 pm

There is a great explanation from Jeremy in this thread here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UT-
F-8&selm=3d518ebf.30274088%40news.pacific.net.au

Tina

dazza <[email protected]> wrote in message