British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Royal Mail have done it again!!! Missing items awaiting my collection (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/royal-mail-have-done-again-missing-items-awaiting-my-collection-260193/)

teach Oct 14th 2004 5:39 pm

Royal Mail have done it again!!! Missing items awaiting my collection

Hiya
For those of you who don't know the saga, I sent all our cards etc to our agent in Sydney as supporting evidence for our application. I sent them by International Signed for Delivery on 20.07.04. They never reached their destination but according to Royal Mail they definitely arrived in Sydney. The Australian Postal Service said that they never arrived. I then spent ages on the phone and about 2 months trying to find out where our things had gone. Royal Mail eventually gave me my postage back and closed the file. On my return home today I found a card advising me that there was an item that needed a signature. I recognised the item number immediately as I had typed it so many times. All our cards etc, (whether the package is intact or not I do not know yet) are waiting for me to go and collect them. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Royal Mail for their outstanding service, NOT!!! and for the safe (hopefully) return of all our engagement cards and photos. I wish there was a "S**t Service" award we could give to Royal Mail.
Sarah

Craig822 Oct 14th 2004 6:13 pm

Re: Royal Mail have done it again!!! Missing items awaiting my collection

Originally Posted by teach
Hiya
For those of you who don't know the saga, I sent all our cards etc to our agent in Sydney as supporting evidence for our application. I sent them by International Signed for Delivery on 20.07.04. They never reached their destination but according to Royal Mail they definitely arrived in Sydney. The Australian Postal Service said that they never arrived. I then spent ages on the phone and about 2 months trying to find out where our things had gone. Royal Mail eventually gave me my postage back and closed the file. On my return home today I found a card advising me that there was an item that needed a signature. I recognised the item number immediately as I had typed it so many times. All our cards etc, (whether the package is intact or not I do not know yet) are waiting for me to go and collect them. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Royal Mail for their outstanding service, NOT!!! and for the safe (hopefully) return of all our engagement cards and photos. I wish there was a "S**t Service" award we could give to Royal Mail.
Sarah

Good grief, what a bunch of tossers. We're going to DHL all our stuff, I think the extra expense is worth the smug feeling of tracking it via the web-site. Hope everything is there!

Regards

lesley street Oct 14th 2004 6:14 pm

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have to agree with you about the standard of Royal Mail. We started the visa application process a few months ago via an agent. Sent the first lot of forms back by first class post and they went missing. Luck would have it that they were only information forms, not actual visa forms, but we learnt our lesson and now send everything by special delivery. However, listening to your experience, it doesn't sound as though that gaurantees it to get there. Our package eventally turned up at the agents, many weeks late and not franked! Think we might fork out for a carrier to send the visa form!!

Lesley.

DollyDaydream Oct 14th 2004 6:22 pm

Sarah,

I had probs with Royal Mail a couple of weeks ago. Also sent documents International Signed For.

Made a bit of a complaint back then and have just received this reply today!!

"When an item is destined for overseas delivery only Airsure can be tracked
up to the point of delivery. International Signed For items can only be
tracked up to departure from the UK.

When the item arrives in the country of destination it becomes the
responsibility of the receiving country's postal authority. They will
deliver the item under the universal postal agreement. We can explain to
them the standards we require, but the onus is on them to deliver the item.

In the event of non-delivery or for information regarding International
Signed For or Airsure items, the sender will need to complete an Overseas
P58 form, available from Post Offices. We will then forward this to the
receiving country's postal service to initiate a search.

I hope this has been of help to you."

Er, no flippin help whatsoever thank you very much.

We're paying for a service that only works upto the point the item leaves our shores.

We're going to take the hit and use a courier next time!

D D

teach Oct 15th 2004 5:05 am

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Sarah,

I had probs with Royal Mail a couple of weeks ago. Also sent documents International Signed For.

Made a bit of a complaint back then and have just received this reply today!!

"When an item is destined for overseas delivery only Airsure can be tracked
up to the point of delivery. International Signed For items can only be
tracked up to departure from the UK.

When the item arrives in the country of destination it becomes the
responsibility of the receiving country's postal authority. They will
deliver the item under the universal postal agreement. We can explain to
them the standards we require, but the onus is on them to deliver the item.

In the event of non-delivery or for information regarding International
Signed For or Airsure items, the sender will need to complete an Overseas
P58 form, available from Post Offices. We will then forward this to the
receiving country's postal service to initiate a search.

I hope this has been of help to you."

Er, no flippin help whatsoever thank you very much.

We're paying for a service that only works upto the point the item leaves our shores.

We're going to take the hit and use a courier next time!

D D

Hiya DD
We had exactly the same letter. How lame is it? We only ever used them once, everything else went by DHL.
Sarah

teach Oct 15th 2004 5:07 am

Originally Posted by lesley street
Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have to agree with you about the standard of Royal Mail. We started the visa application process a few months ago via an agent. Sent the first lot of forms back by first class post and they went missing. Luck would have it that they were only information forms, not actual visa forms, but we learnt our lesson and now send everything by special delivery. However, listening to your experience, it doesn't sound as though that gaurantees it to get there. Our package eventally turned up at the agents, many weeks late and not franked! Think we might fork out for a carrier to send the visa form!!

Lesley.

Hi Lesley and Craig,
Don't take any chances, DHL the lot. The only reason we used Royal Mail for those items is because our agent said there was no rush for them. As it happens DIMIA have requested our PCC's and meds without ever seeing any of the stuff.
Sarah

DollyDaydream Oct 15th 2004 6:32 am

Originally Posted by teach
Hiya DD
We had exactly the same letter. How lame is it? We only ever used them once, everything else went by DHL.
Sarah

You're kidding me, what a pile of crock!!!

D D

teach Oct 17th 2004 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
You're kidding me, what a pile of crock!!!

D D

Hiya DD,
Just to let you know that I've been to collect said package and their reason for non delivery and return to us was 'incompleted address'. Now that is an even bigger pile of crock.
Sarah