Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Royal Australian Navy Question

Royal Australian Navy Question

Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough
Default Royal Australian Navy Question

Have posted this in the working forum but thought I might get a better response here.

My Partner is ex British Royal Navy, he left in 2005. Can he join the Royal Australian Navy or does he need to be a citizen?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

thefreeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Royal Australian Navy Question

Hey,

I don't think you need to be a citizen, we did it all through the Uk navy as a lateral entry. But you should contact the RAN soon if you are seriously thinking about it because once you have been out of the RN for 5 years they won't accept you over here.

Hope this helps?
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Royal Australian Navy Question

Originally Posted by thefreeks
Hey,

I don't think you need to be a citizen, we did it all through the Uk navy as a lateral entry. But you should contact the RAN soon if you are seriously thinking about it because once you have been out of the RN for 5 years they won't accept you over here.

Hope this helps?
Thanks for that info, good to know
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm not sure what the Navy equivalent would be of the ARRSE forum (www.arrse.co.uk) but I know on ARRSE there's an 'Australian Army Lateral Transfer' thread which lots of people have posted on. My OH is going through the lateral transfer procedure into the Aussie Army at the moment. We're just waiting on our visa paperwork to be processed then we're off! I'm aware that a batch of Navy transferees are getting their visas right about now and are due to go to Oz in January. If you need any further info, just PM me and I'll try to help
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:59 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Found this thread for you:

http://www.*************/forum/jobs-c...lian-navy.html

and this:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/vie...+transfer.html

Hope these help!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Hi Swanny, my story is: left the full time RN (CPOMEM(M) in 2003, moved to Oz end of 2004 and took up civi employment. I enquired with regards to what the RAN would offer me and they sent two separate terms of engagement, both practically identical in content (enlisting as a PO(MT), but one for full time navy and one for the reserves. I wasn’t quite sure about going full time again so I opted for reserves.

Since I hadn’t taken the lateral transfer route prior to leaving the RN to take up either offer, I was required to apply from scratch to join the RAN, go through all their initial entry tests, medicals, fitness etc, as well as them doing background checks with the RN and at the end of all this then enlist as a PO, which I done a couple of years ago.

On enlistment I hadn’t even taken my citizenship test however It was an understanding that I would seek to gain Oz citizenship as soon as possible – I actually only got round to it earlier this year.

It is quite obvious to me that the RAN are desperate for personnel in any technical branch or any submariner branch, I have been ask on many occasions whether I would consider going full time, which would now be a fairly simple process.

I now enjoy the best of both civi and RAN worlds when it suits.

You don’t say what branch your partner was? If I can be of any help please ask

Regards

Scot

Originally Posted by swanny
Have posted this in the working forum but thought I might get a better response here.

My Partner is ex British Royal Navy, he left in 2005. Can he join the Royal Australian Navy or does he need to be a citizen?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point

i would get in touch soon as the latest i have heard is that the lateral door was shut temp? however it may have changed again
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

d'oh, just posted to your other thread on the topic.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

You can transfer from the RN to the RAN up to 5 years after leaving the RN. Some people do it during their RN time but a lot do it as a second career. Usually you drop a rank/rate and have to work back up, beware of falling for the 'this is silly, we did this much better in the RN' line as you will quickly fall foul. Yes the RAN is behind in some things and they have a very lax attitude to familiarity, but its a different society so make sure you apply the 'when in Rome..' attitude and you will be fine.
You do not have to be a citizen to join the RAN but if you join the regular seervice they will grant it to you in bloody quick time. My mate left the RN as an ex WO(R) and joined the RAN as a Lt RAN (long story but he is bloody good at what he does!!) and after 6 months got his citizenship, takes most other immigrants about 4 years!
Having worked with the RAN on several projects (I am a civvy here) and spoken to a lot of ex RN, both officer and ratings, it really is behind here and so inefficient but that is partly down to governence, funding and old policies rather than a lack of willing on the RAN part. To another OP, yes they are crying out for people as full time or reservists, particularly submariners, engineers and aircrew.
How about looking at working for a Defence company, i.e. Thales, Boeing, BAE, Raytheon, rather than rejoining the mob? Better pay, better conditions and they can sponsor you over here if you have what they want. Raytheon have won the contract to build the new Air Warfare Destroyer, in Adelaide, and would be looking for skilled ex military guys as SME's.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Well done, very helpful!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi, I'm not sure what the Navy equivalent would be of the ARRSE forum (www.arrse.co.uk) but I know on ARRSE there's an 'Australian Army Lateral Transfer' thread which lots of people have posted on. My OH is going through the lateral transfer procedure into the Aussie Army at the moment. We're just waiting on our visa paperwork to be processed then we're off! I'm aware that a batch of Navy transferees are getting their visas right about now and are due to go to Oz in January. If you need any further info, just PM me and I'll try to help
Sounds good, where are you being posted to? Please don't say Pucka!!!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:46 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

no,its Jamie Oliver who says pukka.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by this charming man
no,its Jamie Oliver who says pukka.
Well he wouldn't say it of that place!!! Puckapunyal is proof that you build an army town on a pile of horse dung in the middle of nowhere!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by paddyo
Sounds good, where are you being posted to? Please don't say Pucka!!!
No lol
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:12 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
Well he wouldn't say it of that place!!! Puckapunyal is proof that you build an army town on a pile of horse dung in the middle of nowhere!
Have to disagree with you there! Been in Pucka nearly 3 years and certainly haven't found what you say to be the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.