Reload this Page >

Royal Australian Navy - boyfriend is joing from the uk

Royal Australian Navy - boyfriend is joing from the uk

Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Becky_Valentine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Royal Australian Navy - boyfriend is joing from the uk

Hi,

My boyfriend has left the British Navy and is joining the Australian Navy in June 2014.

Because we are not married I am not classed as a dependant.

Has anybody else been in this position where they are not married and partner joins the RAN?

How does the visa process work. Was there any complications/problems when applying for a visa. I am assuming I would apply for a 12 month work visa, then once my partner becomes an Australian Citizen, if we decide to get married then I will become one also.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Becky
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royal Australian Navy - boyfriend is joing from the uk

Originally Posted by Becky_Valentine
Hi,

My boyfriend has left the British Navy and is joining the Australian Navy in June 2014.

Because we are not married I am not classed as a dependant.

Has anybody else been in this position where they are not married and partner joins the RAN?

How does the visa process work. Was there any complications/problems when applying for a visa. I am assuming I would apply for a 12 month work visa, then once my partner becomes an Australian Citizen, if we decide to get married then I will become one also.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Becky
Is he actually being sponsored by the Navy, or is he getting a visa, then joining the Navy afterwards?

Do you actually live together as a de facto couple, and if so for how long?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

He is being sponsored by the Navy.

We don't live together but been in a relationship for a year and a half.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky_Valentine
He is being sponsored by the Navy.

We don't live together but been in a relationship for a year and a half.
Your best option then would probably be to get a 12 month working holiday visa, and live with him as soon as you arrive. You will need 12 months cohabitation in order for him to sponsor you as a de facto partner.
OR you get married while on the WHV then he can sponsor you as his wife, without needing the cohabitation.

That will get you a Spouse Visa which is temporary for the first two years, then becomes a permanent residence visa.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank You for your help.