Route Planner

Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about
Default Route Planner

is there a route planner available for Australia, like Autoroute?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is www.whereis.com.au

Autoroute is probably the name of a local Sheila.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:23 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom

Autoroute is probably the name of a local Sheila.

Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:27 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Route Planner

Originally posted by originalfunster
is there a route planner available for Australia, like Autoroute?
i've been looking for one myself. i haven't had any luck yet though. the only alternative i can find are web based and way too slow!

shout up if you find anything and i'll do the same.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about

ok no probs
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:23 pm
dazuk

well what do u expect?? Superb quality sites like the AA BBC ?????

This is Straylia, next thing u will want decent shops, supermarkets, pubs etc

Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Love it Bondipom, very subtle.

Cheers

Karen
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a street capable route program for the PC, you will be ok with Garmin's Metroguide Australia (about $200), which will let you plan a route on your PC, but not on your GPS, though if you have a sophisticated enough gps you can view the map on it.

If you would like to be able to search and route Australian addresses on your PC and GPS, you will need Garmin's "City Navigator" software which is the best available anywhere in the world. Has the best price in the world too. AU$500.

Phil.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:48 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by philj6969
If you want a street capable route program for the PC, you will be ok with Garmin's Metroguide Australia (about $200), which will let you plan a route on your PC, but not on your GPS, though if you have a sophisticated enough gps you can view the map on it.

If you would like to be able to search and route Australian addresses on your PC and GPS, you will need Garmin's "City Navigator" software which is the best available anywhere in the world. Has the best price in the world too. AU$500.

Phil.
ouch!! hmm.. i think in that case i might just stick with a map and a highlighter pen!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:49 am
life begins again...

Originally posted by dazuk
well what do u expect?? Superb quality sites like the AA BBC ?????

This is Straylia, next thing u will want decent shops, supermarkets, pubs etc
yeah why not! the rest of the world manages it!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:06 am
Just Joined

pom_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Garmin GPS V along with Australia Metroguide & City Navigator software & can confirm they are excellent for planning & viewing routes on the PC in a similar fashion to MS Autoroute. The routes can also be downloaded to the Garmin GPS V & Streetpilot providing step by step navigation.

I have already planned the routes for our reccy trip at the end of January, so I know where we can fit in the Movie World visit which became part of the itinery once the wife saw its proximity to our southern Biggera Waters base!

Garmin GPS V

City Navigator

Pom_UK

ADSL -> eMule!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:24 am
life begins again...

Originally posted by pom_uk
I have a Garmin GPS V along with Australia Metroguide & City Navigator software & can confirm they are excellent for planning & viewing routes on the PC in a similar fashion to MS Autoroute. The routes can also be downloaded to the Garmin GPS V & Streetpilot providing step by step navigation.

I have already planned the routes for our reccy trip at the end of January, so I know where we can fit in the Movie World visit which became part of the itinery once the wife saw its proximity to our southern Biggera Waters base!

Garmin GPS V

City Navigator

Pom_UK

ADSL -> eMule!
Now we're getting in to something else i've been thinking about! I believe you can attach the Garmin GPS V to a motorbike? I've been thinking, not too seriously yet, with kitting out a bike with one of these when i get to oz and goin' travellin'! It all depends on the money and the bike i get. The bike i want would be certainly overkill considering the expence and the use.... but it would be cool!

I've heard a lot of good things about Garmin GPS units from another forum. If i bought one in oz, can you use it else where in the world? Do you just buy the software updates for the part of the world you want to use it in?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:48 am
Just Joined

pom_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

ScutterUK,

I have fixed my GPS V to a VFR800 & also trail/enduro bikes such as XR650. Whichever country you buy it it will have a basemap & the appropriate Metroguide software (which is street level detail) as the basemap is pretty inaccurate only main road detail. On the GPS V (the new Streetmap II uses SD cards I believe) you have @19.5 mb of storage to add additonal map data for any country for which you have the software.

For Queensland 19.5Mb will hold all the detailed street level map data as can be seen in red in the link below which would allow for a pretty good bike run!

Queensland GPS V storage

Pom_UK