Wikiposts

Roundabouts.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Roundabouts.

Come to Victoria. Roundabout use is as good and as bad as the UK - but the indication is better here.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:24 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Come to Victoria. Roundabout use is as good and as bad as the UK - but the indication is better here.
Really? They indicate to go roung a bend here and in Sydney, I've never seen such daftness, There is nowhere else to turn yet they indicate for no reason, Oh unless they actually want to pull over then they don't bother. I think the driving is much worse here, there is no comparison to the UK. I find them mostly very inconsiderate and never let anyone out. Parking is some kind of sporting event to them. Well done Grayling, you've just increased my blood preasure again and reminded me again how bad they are.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Really? They indicate to go roung a bend here and in Sydney, I've never seen such daftness, There is nowhere else to turn yet they indicate for no reason, Oh unless they actually want to pull over then they don't bother. I think the driving is much worse here, there is no comparison to the UK. I find them mostly very inconsiderate and never let anyone out. Parking is some kind of sporting event to them. Well done Grayling, you've just increased my blood preasure again and reminded me again how bad they are.

I really wonder sometimes which UK you used to live in.....doubt it was the same one I lived in for 4 yrs...thats for sure..

Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:28 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I really wonder sometimes which UK you used to live in.....doubt it was the same one I lived in for 4 yrs...thats for sure..

4 years? I've got nearly 40 under my belt and its a fact the driving is worse here, Out of all the expats I know here personally not a single one thinks differently.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

I think the roundabout using skill of the average Brit and Aussie is about the same and varies by "habitat" a bit - Adelaide is a murderous environment because everyone seems to drive sooooooo cautiously - Sydneysiders view it as a bit of sport, not always well executed.

Compare Australian with places like Holland where you used to have to give way to people coming "into" a randabout ... hence everyone accelerated into them, causing much gnashing of teeth. I also remember a certain ridiculous roundabout at Hearthrow that seemed purpose built to kill or maim jet lagged American tourists ... and succeeded!

Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

4 years? I've got nearly 40 under my belt and its a fact the driving is worse here, Out of all the expats I know here personally not a single one thinks differently.

I have nearly 35 yrs experience here and nearly every single Aussie expat I knew in the UK, not a single one thinks we are any better or any worse than anyone else....

I guess there is the difference.....
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

But you operate under 'country rules' do you not?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What is it with Australians and roundabouts?

I actually had to stop on one in Glenelg a few days ago as someone was coming round the wrong way

Most people (in South Australia anyway) don't seem to have a clue what to do.
My son's girlfriend is a police Officer in Adelaide and told me that it is actually quite a problem.

Just as well there are not many of them.

G
We've got a local saying here, the defenition of a major traffic problem here in Melbourne, is Two South Australians at a Melbourne intersection.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:06 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We've got a local saying here, the defenition of a major traffic problem here in Melbourne, is Two South Australians at a Melbourne intersection.
That'll be because you have to pull in to the left hand lane to turn right or something wierd..do they still have that oddity in Melbourne?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:21 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Roundabouts are a fairly new concept in Adelaide I believe. When my parents lived there 20 years ago they hardly came across one!!
They're practising here in WA. Every road in the new developments seems to have one, albeit a mini one, and the main roads around here are abundant with roundabouts.

I agree that Brits have probably had more experience of them than Aussies - so why haven't they got it right yet? I've seen some appalling examples of driving at UK roundabouts. I think they seem to defeat many drivers, but I don't know why....

Sue
Old Nov 27th 2005, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney is in NSW not in Victoria.

In NSW, people drive like the French.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
That'll be because you have to pull in to the left hand lane to turn right or something wierd..do they still have that oddity in Melbourne?

Yes hook turns in the city, It's because of giving way to the trams.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:40 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

This whole arguement makes me laugh. Totally daft.
How the hell do you know where any particular driver hails from? Just because he's driving on an Aussie road or a UK road or indeed a road in Timbucktoo, doesnt nessecarily mean he is a native of that land. Pommie immigrants to Aus being just ONE example!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:24 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well I can honestly say the standard of sriving here in Perth (and I dare say the whole of Aus) is quite crap and rude compared to the UK. And I think I know a couple of reasons why....

the roads are too wide. They need to make them about 1/3rd of the width, and make sure they have cars parked up on the side sometimes, so that the two lanes become one. This will force them into actually being courteous to other drivers coming the other way, so that everyone get`s a turn at getting where they need to go.

the roads are too straight. They need to make them bend all over the place for miles so it`s not such an easy drive, and put hedges everywhere so that they can`t see what`s coming around the bend. This will make them actually wake up and concentrate a little but more.

there aren`t enough roundabouts (but far too many traffic lights). Bung loads of roundabouts in instead of traffic lights and they`ll actually HAVE to be courteous and awake, rather than rude and speedy and impatient because the stupid traffic lights in Perth are on red for as long as a drive around the M25 takes.

Get all the immigrants to re-do their driving tests... especially the asians and italians, as they bring they`re (generally) atrocious driving habits over. I can`t speak for any other bad-driving countries (yet). The English, French, Belgian and Dutch were all good drivers from what I saw (generally). It`s bloody scary being on the roads in Italy or Asia.

Teach everyone properly to drive courteously. It`s mostly a waste of time using indicators here, as everyone ignores them anyway. It`s all `me me me`.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:30 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stokesy43
Wonder what the Aussies would make of the magic roundabout in High Wycombe.
I had just learnt to drive when they put this in. Used to freak me out completely. Two confident drivers = crash. Two nervous drivers = gridlock on any one of its little satellite numbers.

Too many traffic lights in Perth!! I want roundabouts - I've trained for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.