Roundabouts.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roundabouts.

What is it with Australians and roundabouts?

I actually had to stop on one in Glenelg a few days ago as someone was coming round the wrong way

Most people (in South Australia anyway) don't seem to have a clue what to do.
My son's girlfriend is a police Officer in Adelaide and told me that it is actually quite a problem.

Just as well there are not many of them.

G
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:37 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Roundabouts.

Originally Posted by Grayling

I actually had to stop on one in Glenelg a few days ago as someone was coming round the wrong way

My son's girlfriend is a police Officer in Adelaide and told me that it is actually quite a problem.

G
What is it with Australians and roads - full stop.

Our back bedoom looks over the story bridge in Brissie and it never fails to amaze me how many crashes there are on there. The best one was this Saturday - someone driving on the wrong side of the road collides with a lorry!

R
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:42 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Its all the immigrants.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:44 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Its all the immigrants.
LOL
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously live in a part of the world where there are not many and alot of people have little or no experience of them. South Australia - sounds about right. When I lived in Melbourne there were quite a few and there were no problems there! If the UK introduced bizarre Californian features like exits off freeways both sides I'm sure that would confuse people.

I've seen British people driving on the wrong side of the road on the Continent. I had no problems; I used to drive my British car through the tunnel in to France and Germany and my German car (LHD) the other way in to England.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

If there's a car in front approaching an empty roundabout I assume he is going to stop.

Also, I don't assume someone will sneak into the traffic when I think it is safe to do so.

Horses for courses, we are used to roundabouts but new to Aussies.

The problem is too many lights and not enough roundabouts.

I used to live in Milton Keynes and loved the system there: all roundabouts and I think a few lights in the centre.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608

I will not comment on the traffic lights in Adelaide

G
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ebo1608
If there's a car in front approaching an empty roundabout I assume he is going to stop.

Also, I don't assume someone will sneak into the traffic when I think it is safe to do so.

Horses for courses, we are used to roundabouts but new to Aussies.

I used to live in Milton Keynes and loved the system there: all roundabouts and I think a few lights in the centre.

Ian
Aah Milton Keynes, apparently there are somewhere in the region of 450 roundabouts. I used to drive a school bus route when I was a traffic manager and the route must have gone round every single one twice. Try doing that in a 20 year old rust bucket with a gearbox that's like stirring soup. Wonder what the Aussies would make of the magic roundabout in High Wycombe.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. What makes anyone think we are any better in the UK. Majority of people in the UK haven't got a clue how to drive they just point the car and go. I've seen people indicating left on roundabouts and going right and vice/versa. As a nation we have to be the worst drivers period.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by stokesy43
a nation we have to be the worst drivers period.
Have you ever driven in Australia?

G
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:24 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

G

And why do they think it's OK to travel the whole way round the roundabout in the left lane? I've been cut up so many times coming off a roundabout it's unreal. Then there's the driving in the rain- it's hilarious. Watching cars leave our local shopping centre, one by one all wheel spinning round the corner cos they think putting their foot to the floor will get them round a tight bend easily
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

It's a southern hemisphere thing.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stokesy43
Anyway, back to the point of the thread. What makes anyone think we are any better in the UK. Majority of people in the UK haven't got a clue how to drive they just point the car and go. I've seen people indicating left on roundabouts and going right and vice/versa. As a nation we have to be the worst drivers period.

Thats because EVERYTHING/ONE is so much better in the UK! Didnt you know?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My dad is bigger than your Dad. Children children please.

The worst drivers are in Belgium where apparently, a road test wasn't introduced until the last 30 or 40 years.(!)

I find the standard of driving in Australia is broadly comparitive to the UK. The hoons in Australia match the idiots who are impatient on the m25 only the speeds are higher in the UK.

Take in to account that undertaking is allowed outside Europe, and that powerful reardrive cars are becoming extinct in Europe, also that Australia is a more dispersed country where 'country rules' are more likely to apply. BMW drivers on the continent put bags of rocks/sand/gravel in their boots even though BMWs since 1992 have had great weight distribution.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts are a fairly new concept in Adelaide I believe. When my parents lived there 20 years ago they hardly came across one!!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Thats because EVERYTHING/ONE is so much better in the UK! Didnt you know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.