Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Roughly How Much Did Families Spend Moving To Perth??

Roughly How Much Did Families Spend Moving To Perth??

Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road
Default Roughly How Much Did Families Spend Moving To Perth??

My wife, 2 kids (under 4) and I are planning on moving to Perth from the UK. I am a non degree qualified engineer with 2 years experience of the Australian mining industry and had my own very small engineering company in the UK for 4 years. My wife is a programmer but is short of the confidence to get a good job in that field.

We had emigrated to Sydney in 2008 and spent a total of $50k from landing until we had a good income coming in, this included the cost of paying 6 months rent in advance, a car, days out etc.

If I spent the same this time I would be bust!

So the question is how much did families spend, from landing until the income overtook expenditure?

I am waking up with panic attacks over this as the thought of spending all our savings and not even being able to afford a return is quite scary.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Roughly How Much Did Families Spend Moving To Perth??

Have you not applied for work from the UK?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Have you not applied for work from the UK?
Did phone a recruitment consultant who said I should come out first.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Oh.. id try and send some out myself. You never know you might hit lucky and arrive with work in place! I couldnt go over without work. I arrive in OZ on march 8th and start work on march 12th..
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

This question is important to me too. Arriving in Melbourne with partner and no kids, jobless, in early April with $40k and home in the UK rented out. Have been advised on forum previously that living costs in Melbourne average $3k to $4k per month. After rent bond, short term accommodation and car purchase, reckon will have maybe $32k to cover 9 months.

Is this reasonable?

I've held mid/senior banking roles in the UK but it appears all the major Aussie banks are in cost cutting mode and I'm concerned it might take me 6-9 months to find something. Salaries appear higher than Scotland so if I get a job, I'll be laughing but I'm concerned I'll be unemployed for a while.

I've spoken to about 10 agents, mainly in Australia and most say I wont land anything until arrival but might get lucky before then (small chance).

To the OP, best of luck. I share your concern.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Will send some CV's out on the off chance I get lucky.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
Will send some CV's out on the off chance I get lucky.
It's always worth a go I reckon. I did and was lucky!