Reload this Page >

Rough price for private health cover for family

Rough price for private health cover for family

Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

KarenandPaul is on a distinguished road
Post Rough price for private health cover for family

Hi there,

Applying for 457 visa & new job states I have to have Private Health insurance for all the family to the value of $250,000 per person. It has to include 100% of medical,public & private coverage!
Have been on a couple of web sites but don't understand it at all. Can anybody out there tell me in english how much private health insurance costs roughly for 2 adults 3 children per month.

Thanks Karen
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rough price for private health cover for family

Originally Posted by KarenandPaul
Hi there,

Applying for 457 visa & new job states I have to have Private Health insurance for all the family to the value of $250,000 per person. It has to include 100% of medical,public & private coverage!
Have been on a couple of web sites but don't understand it at all. Can anybody out there tell me in english how much private health insurance costs roughly for 2 adults 3 children per month.
Private health insurance will be a lot more expensive because you are temporary residents.

Why on earth is your employer not paying, which is what they are supposed to do?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for reply, They do offer health insurance but through ACE insurance & yes I do have to pay for it. Got job nursing at Mater hospitals Brisbane.
When you say expensive how much do you think? I haven't a clue.
Karen
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

Thanks for reply, They do offer health insurance but through ACE insurance & yes I do have to pay for it. Got job nursing at Mater hospitals Brisbane.
When you say expensive how much do you think? I haven't a clue.
Karen

Hi

I was quoted $156 per month, which is a basic package for a family of 4, that was for Hospital, dental and optical. There is a compare web site where you can look for the best value ones if you want I can PM the site addy. I also think you can claim tax on you health care.

Phyllis
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I really cannot understand why a nurse in your situation would even think about a temporary visa.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phyllis n Joe
Hi

I was quoted $156 per month, which is a basic package for a family of 4, that was for Hospital, dental and optical. There is a compare web site where you can look for the best value ones if you want I can PM the site addy. I also think you can claim tax on you health care.

Phyllis
I think I'll ring the hospital & get a Quote. From the sounds of it a basic package wouldn't be sufficient.

Karen
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I really cannot understand why a nurse in your situation would even think about a temporary visa.
To get the relocation package as it is not offered with the PR visa but I can apply for it after 12 mths & they can get it fast tracked taking 3 mths apparently!!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

To get the relocation package as it is not offered with the PR visa but I can apply for it after 12 mths & they can get it fast tracked taking 3 mths apparently!!
You need to stand back, and do a real due diligence on the risks and costs of moving with a 457 visa (relocation package or no) versus a permanent visa.

Your employer can sponsor you for a PR visa immediately if they feel like it, the question is whether you are going to insist on it or not.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to stand back, and do a real due diligence on the risks and costs of moving with a 457 visa (relocation package or no) versus a permanent visa.

Your employer can sponsor you for a PR visa immediately if they feel like it, the question is whether you are going to insist on it or not.
I agree, JAJ
457 is just a quicker way in, although we came PR sponsored and it only took 8 weeks.
PR if you have a family is the better way in , you will be entitled to centrelink, which is a godsend until you get on your feet.
Denise
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:24 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are with Medibank Private and have the Optimal Visitors Cover and pay about $485 per month for this. I believe that this price is the same for families as it is couples. My OH's son is not covered by this policy as he is Australian. However, just been granted our PR visa and the price does come down considerably - this reminds me to go and sort it out tomorrow.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

What risks & costs do you mean? I know about not being covered by medicare, not getting any benefits until PR, not being entitled to the first time buyers discount on stamp duty when buying a property until PR. Is there any other things I don't know about? Would appreciate any advice!!! The whole things is driving me nuts!

Karen
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:50 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a 457 and pay $387 a month for private health cover. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. We get it back yearly in arrears from hubby's employer.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
We are on a 457 and pay $387 a month for private health cover. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. We get it back yearly in arrears from hubby's employer.
That's nearly $100 cheaper than I can find. Who is your insurance with?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

What risks & costs do you mean? I know about not being covered by medicare, not getting any benefits until PR, not being entitled to the first time buyers discount on stamp duty when buying a property until PR. Is there any other things I don't know about? Would appreciate any advice!!! The whole things is driving me nuts!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions_