Rotoura

Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

gowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rotoura

My wife and i are looking at moving to NZ in the next couple of months, she has been offered a post in the Rotoura region of the North Island. Can anyone provide info on the place as to standard of living and general outlook on migrants?

Thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm.....Rotorua. More known as a tourist attraction (see URL below). As it's a smaller district, housing is very affordable. Standard of living is good as it is close to other popular areas such as Tauranga, Auckland, Hamilton, Mt Maunganui etc. So it's a perfect spot to have day-trips away on weekends.

Rotorua has a strong sulpher smell due to the volcanic activity. I've only visited there briefly, so can only guess what it'd be like to live there.....perhaps an oxygen mask?
Apparently the locals get used to it.

http://www.rotoruanz.com/

Old Mar 11th 2003, 11:28 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotoura

Originally posted by sully4441
Come on people, Rotoura, someone must know something. Give the dingdongs a break and have a think. Now if it had been about the Rotunda in Birmingham, I'm your man!
Patron Saint for Ignored Posters

Sully4441

How is the rotunda at the moment, have they opened up the new bull ring centre yet?
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Default rotorua

Any chance we can keep the subject matter in mind, not ROTUNDA, but ROTOURA NEW ZEALAND. Thanks but if you guys want to chat about something else please open a new thread.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:09 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: rotorua

Now there's gratitude!
Patron Saint of Ignored Posters
Rotorua...Rotunda...how different could they be?
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:14 am
Not here

I dunno....they both stink!
All my father ever said about Rotorua was...watch out for that Puha and Pakeha...
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
All my father ever said about Rotorua was...watch out for that Puha and Pakeha...
Intention was not to be fescious, but to get some info quick. What to do you mean be the Puha and Pakeha??
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:33 am
Not here

Originally posted by gowie
Intention was not to be fescious, but to get some info quick. What to do you mean be the Puha and Pakeha??
…then good Queen Vic sent a fella with a treaty to the land of the old Kiwi
and Hobson called all the chieftains together and said…lads listen to me…
sign the dotted line and we’ll all have tea…but one old chief just sat…
he said I don’t give a hangi for your treaty of Waitangi you can’t get fat on that…

Give me some Puha and Pakeha…Puha and Pakeha…
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Default WHITS HE TALKIN ABOOT

Still have nae idea whit he's oon aboot!
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:46 am
Not here

White man soup?

Ah slash...
...c'mon boys we've just caught another one...
I say I've fallen in a Geyser...
yeh you sit there boy...have a good wash heh...
I say you haven't any soap have you?... a bit of old au de cologne..what...
No sorry...only Puha...you sit there now...
I say it is getting rather hot...I'll cook if I stay in here much longer...
Oh you catch on quick boy...
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:52 am
Not here

New Zealand is a great place...enjoy.

By the way when you get there find an old '60's record from Rod Derrett...it's called Puha and Pakeha...
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:58 am
Not here

Sorry gowie can't help myself have a look at...

http://www.activenewzealand.com/new-zealand-history.htm

The Mäori are a proad and fierce people who I admire greatly. It would pay great dividends to understand them and the history. Remember that they signed a treaty and never capitulated to the British...New Zealand was never a true colony like Australia...
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:10 am
Not here

Default Re: WHITS HE TALKIN ABOOT

It's from an old NZ song called Puha and Pakeha. It's about stewing a nice Pakeha (what the Maori call an English man, so you could be safe gowie) with some puha greens (like spinnach). It sums up what the Maori thought of the English colonists who, if I read the song right, killed everything that walked to eat, leaving only the fish. It was only a quick read of a long story, so it could have lost a bit of the real meaning.
LMS
...good one LMS...the Maoris can be great friends...just remember that they can also be...even today...fierce enemies. Don't go there with a colonist attitude...and they'll embrace you. And boy you'll be rich for the rest of your life.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WHITS HE TALKIN ABOOT

Gowie,

We only stopped there for a few days whilst touring NZ but it has quite a few cafes and restaurants (including a nice indian restaurant - v. important!) and the locals (a third of whom are Maoris apparently) seemed really friendly. It does pong of rotten eggs but apparently they get used to it quickly. In fact we didn't notice it after we had been out in it for a while. Loads of steam coming out of the drains due to thermal activity and the various Thermal Reserves and the Polynesian Spa nearby are musts to visit (if you can avoid coachloads of tourists!).
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Thats where we are hopefully heading to. We had thought about Tauranga, but eventually settled for Rotorua. Relatively inexpensive housing, loads to do, fairly central for travelling etc etc
What sort of post was your wife offered? I'm a nurse.

Gill and Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.