Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs off?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Read post first! (please!)
In Oz/NZ: rose tinted specs off after being here a while!
13.16%
In Oz/NZ: Just got here! (less than 1 or 2 months…)
0%
In Oz/NZ: can’t remember if I had them!
5.26%
In Oz/NZ: I never had them!
34.21%
In Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in them!
10.53%
Outside Oz/NZ: forum(among other things) has helped me remove rosetinted’s
10.53%
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t have rose tinted specs
18.42%
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in rose tinted specs
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Rose tinted specs off?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulesandChris
It's sometimes not a black and white (and rose) situation.

You like to think that you're a realist and you know it's not all cuddly koalas, endless bbqs and drive through bottle shops.

But then you tell your frineds, family and colleagues and they're all "wow you lucky so and so" and you start to find the rose tinting coming on (a bit like those light reactive specs you get).

Sometime you go with it and get full on rosé
But then you fight it cos you know it's not.
Yep, that makes sense!
No, nothings black and white. I also always find it hard choosing 'sides'. There's always 2 or more sides to a story/situation/person etc.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sander
I voted: Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t have rose tinted specs

...in fact in many ways I think it will be harder to start a life there then it would be over here in NL for us. There are less jobs there, certainly in my 'field' (IT). I've got good qualifications, but they're not Australian.

Anyway, I could probably write down quite a list of things that will be harder in Aus, but still we're gonna go and give it our best. Why? Partly because my fiancee is Australian and she would like to be back there. Partly because I really want to try to make it there and I think that _if_ I can find a reasonable job there we can be quite (very) happy and live a good life, which is pretty much all I want.

Oh and yes, it would be nice to have some more sun...although I'll probably won't like it much when it's 40 degrees or something. And yes, I'm aware that it can be cold there since there's little insulation and generally no central heating... (Try Melbourne at the coast in winter in a wooden house...never been that cold before :scared: )

And I realise that especially the first months could (will) be hard times, but that's ok. I've almost graduated uni here, so I would have to begin from scratch anyway. So that's what we're gonna do in Aus now. Not much sense in putting in lots of time and energy into a life in NL when I know that in a couple of years we would be going to Aus. and have to sell a house and give up our jobs etc.

So...we're going and although I'm aware of the difficulties I'm looking forward to it!
Hoi!

Well, as you know, I'm in about the same situation. It helps that I'm/we're also just starting out. Just finished uni, no house to sell etc. Moving straight away (tomorrow is graduation ceremony, saturday leaving party and wednesday flying ), cos what's the point in finding a job here...

Yep, looking forward to it! I like organising stuff, the adventure of it all. My brother never liked moving, going to a new school, I always did.
And it's not a tooo big adventure, cos I have friends there, and sort of know the place. That helps. If my friends can survive there, have jobs, so can I!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are in Oz and I don't think we had Rose tinted specs on at all.

Sometimes I think I do now though as we all LOVE it here so much

Seriously though, I believe it has everything to do with your attitude, we have always been positive, adaptable people and this has meant we have fitted right in to Aussie life.

When I see the temperatures over there at the moment I shiver at the thought. I know exactly why we left and boy are we glad we did.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rose tinted specs off?

Originally posted by Ceri
I voted for I'm in oz and I never had them on.

Rule out money.. that should never stop anyone from trying something out.Some people make money as an excuse for things in life, whether you're rich or poor, both people use money as an excuse for many things - It's just an excuse for not doing things, or being scared to take the plunge. Costs of setting up - you'll get there in the end even if you have very little money. It’ll just take you longer than someone with money that's all, but you can enjoy building up a new life piece by piece too, if you want to take that aspect.
I understand what your getting at with the money thing, but you can't rule it out completely. I mean you've got to have a decent wad built up to pay for visa costs, flights, and the assumption you're not going to be working for at least 2 months when you get there. Thats gotta be over £4000, if you talking 2+ people family. To try to do it with less liquid cash than that would just be reckless IMHO.

If you have that kind of cash available, then of course, money should not hold you back from taking the risk.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:26 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Rose tinted specs off?

Originally posted by JackTheLad
I understand what your getting at with the money thing, but you can't rule it out completely. I mean you've got to have a decent wad built up to pay for visa costs, flights, and the assumption you're not going to be working for at least 2 months when you get there. Thats gotta be over £4000, if you talking 2+ people family. To try to do it with less liquid cash than that would just be reckless IMHO.

If you have that kind of cash available, then of course, money should not hold you back from taking the risk.

Cheers,
JTL
I was giving another perception to her. To my knowledge she has no children and still pretty young. She seemed to be a bit worried about the setting up costs.

I agree it costs a lot to move, set up etc etc.. I've done it quite often in the past 12 years, I'm now in my early 30's . when I first did it , I was very young, I emigrated with just a suitcase of clothes ( fair enough it was to a very good expat package in Asia, and I wasn't skint.. and no it's not cheap. But you can make it as cheap or expensive as you wish.

There are many people who have emigrated to Aus with just the clothes on their backs and built up a life for themselves.. with just sheer hard work and determination. She needs not bring a 20 ft container with her, or a troop of expensive animals etc etc.. Both her and her boyfriend, or husband can build a life up for themselves if that what they want.. it can either make you or break you.. If you look at the other angle I gave her - she can look at it as being fun... a new adventure.. with a lot of work and determination. money should never stop someone - I know plenty of immigrants here who came with nothing, and are now years down the track they have their 4/5 bed home next to the sea. A n old polish friend of mine is one such example - he emigrated years back, was fleeing - he came with nothing - he made a life for himself and his wife , now have the "aussie dream" two sons , in their early thirties who were born here( bit of a yuck story from me ) .

I'm a realest see I may dislike Aus, and can't believe how many people have not got a clue - the sun, beaches and houses tinted mob, but I will never say to anyone don't come here - for the reason they will always be wondering if they don't do it "what if?", plus it may be what they are looking for - who knows . I know too many people back home .. who thinks "I should have".. they make money as an excuse for not doing things... if you want to do something that badly, you will find a way.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 8th 2004 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Trouble is JLT some of us would never have a decent wad and if we were to wait for that decent wad to appear then we would never get to where we want to be. We came out with nothing , 2 kids a few belongings, been here nearly 2 years now, its been hard sometimes, but it was hard at home, so nothing different there. But we dont regret it, we love it here and we are glad i suppose as you call it that we where " RECKLESS" life is to short if you want to do something then do it, otherwise you may regret it in later life is our motto. Hubby got a job by the way the second week we were here,we moved into a rental on the third week, we are still in a rental but i dont see thats a big problem. We have our health and are all very happy, just glad we did it. Also in Simones case they are young have no kids, she has lived here before, so i say Simone you know yourselfs just do what makes you guys happy.
Joanne
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:38 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Blimey! I've just read two post in a row by Ceri on this thread, and actually agree with all she says.......

What the hell is happening to this forum
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:46 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by chippy
Blimey! I've just read two post in a row by Ceri on this thread, and actually agree with all she says.......

see that quote at the bottom of my post - I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but ,I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant

Basically means most people read their own (incorrect) meanings into what I say a lot of the time - take my words the wrong way. I have never not once, ever said to anyone on this forum "do not come to Aus" for blah and blah reasons - I have always said make up your own minds.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:46 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

A lot is made on this forum of all the pro's and con's of moving to Oz, and of course that is it's primary objective I suppose.

But for my part, there came a time when I decided to stop thinking about it (and I know that's difficult) and just 'do it'.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:48 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy

Maybe it s because you ACTUALLY LIVE here now

Easier to understand once you've been here a while and holiday mode wears off aint it
Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:00 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by hevs
Maybe it s because you ACTUALLY LIVE here now

Easier to understand once you've been here a while and holiday mode wears off aint it
I hear you...... "it's easy for you to say that mate....you're already there aren't you!" Maybe that's true.

A couple of months before I left the UK, I really didn't come onto this forum much. I didn't want to have the whole thing whirling around in my head 24/7.

I think this is in contrast to a lot of those on here. Most seem to post/read more, the nearer they get to leaving the UK. I'm not saying that is good or bad, but I think a bit of 'time out' from thinking/talking about aw-bloody-stralia all the time done me good.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:04 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by Ceri
see that quote at the bottom of my post - I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but ,I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant

Basically means most people read their own (incorrect) meanings into what I say a lot of the time - take my words the wrong way. I have never not once, ever said to anyone on this forum "do not come to Aus" for blah and blah reasons - I have always said make up your own minds.

Many will hear, but never listen, there's no way around that.