Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs off?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Read post first! (please!)
In Oz/NZ: rose tinted specs off after being here a while!
13.16%
In Oz/NZ: Just got here! (less than 1 or 2 months…)
0%
In Oz/NZ: can’t remember if I had them!
5.26%
In Oz/NZ: I never had them!
34.21%
In Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in them!
10.53%
Outside Oz/NZ: forum(among other things) has helped me remove rosetinted’s
10.53%
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t have rose tinted specs
18.42%
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in rose tinted specs
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Rose tinted specs off?

Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:56 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Question Rose tinted specs off?

Firstly, IMO, you can only know/realise you've had rosetinted specs on when you look back in time, at how you were thinking then.
If you are thinking you have them now, you don't, because obviously by realising you have 'taken them off'.

I can not say I don't have rosetinted specs now, but I do know they are partly taken off, because I now realise I had rosetinted specs on about Perth/Oz, about a year ago.
Back then, I could name a lot of the benefits for moving to Oz for us.
Now I have trouble naming one. See here (3rd post) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=240398

Main reason why my thoughts have changed so much: this forum! May even be the only reason, I haven’t actually done any much specific research.
Of course, when it comes closer, you do realise more of the ‘negatives’ (like leaving family, trying to get job in foreign country), than say a year ago.

The reasons why we are still going:
- Adventure (was always the main reason anyway)
- yeah, 'standing on own two feet' (ok, we're not that attached to parents, and moved out 2 years ago, but still)
- not much to lose

Reasons why we shouldn't:
- family
- money (costs of setting up, moving, having no jobs)

Things I realise (how I feel now, in our situation) aren't important:
- weather (overall better in Perth, but I'll still be cold in winter, hot in summer)
- housing (renting)
- jobs (don't think there'll be much difference in amount of jobs for us, though more difficult to get because of language in Perth)
- cost of living (don't think there'll be much difference)

So, how do you feel about the rose tinted specs stuff?
If you are in Oz, do you think you had them before you came out, and are now off? Or never had them? Or don't believe in them?

Those still in other countries: do you think this forum is one of the reasons why your rosetinted specs are now off? Or never had them? Or don't believe in them?

In Oz/NZ: rose tinted specs are off after being here a while!
In Oz/NZ: Just got here! (less than 1/2 months..)
In Oz/NZ: can’t remember if I had them!
In Oz/NZ: I never had them!
In Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in them!
Outside Oz/NZ: forum(among other things) has helped me remove rosetinted’s
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t have rose tinted specs
Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t believe in rose tinted specs

Ok, hope I got everything in there….. Again: not adding an ‘other’category. Would rather people just post, and told ‘us’.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm just confused !!

Reading this forum makes me think I have rose tinted specs on all the time.

I've gone from liking the country, to disliking it and then back to really liking it more than I did at first.

Maybe it's because i have spent time finding where I REALLY wanted to be.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:16 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I'm just confused !!

Reading this forum makes me think I have rose tinted specs on all the time.

I've gone from liking the country, to disliking it and then back to really liking it more than I did at first.

Maybe it's because i have spent time finding where I REALLY wanted to be.
Yeah, I'm actually confused too, I guess.
I used to promote Oz. Now I say, well, it depends. It's not necessarily that great(not bad either, but could be). All depends(as usual). In our situation it's all on the same level sort of. But can't say for sure untill we're there of course!

I guess for you, it's too difficult to answer. And maybe for many others too. Especially if you've been there longer I guess.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Simone
Yeah, I'm actually confused too, I guess.
I used to promote Oz. Now I say, well, it depends. It's not necessarily that great(not bad either, but could be). All depends(as usual). In our situation it's all on the same level sort of. But can't say for sure untill we're there of course!

I guess for you, it's too difficult to answer. And maybe for many others too. Especially if you've been there longer I guess.
I agree completely. It all depends

No-one will really know how they will like it till they try it.

The best they can do is read what they can, ensuring that they know which area they are reading or being told about, and try to choose the best area that they feel may suit them.

One thing they have to take "with a pinch of salt" are statements that start with "Australia is".

The statements should start with things like:
Coastal Perth is .....
or
Inland Brisbane is .....

etc. etc

Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Simone

We never had them as we have been several times before, living and working, although can understand why people have them as its a dream that is in grasp to be able to try and at least give it a good go. Think everyone should come and as long as you are aware that there are downsides aswell as up, you won't go far wrong.

In the time we've been here already in Perth, have met lots of expats who have been here from 2 years up to 30 odd years and they are happy

Sometimes its more to do with attitude towards life than anything else, if you are a miserable sod in England, chances you will be same old whinger in Oz

Looking forward to catching up with you on 25th and anyone else coming along

Teresa
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I ever had them to be honest, but my reasons for coming to Oz are slightly different.
I moved here to be with my fiance (otherwise known as "Hubby" or "Siren's better half" in here) who already lived here.

The only thing I can remember thinking of with a rosey-like hue is the weather which is, in fact, better. (I left Montreal when it was -27 and arrived in Perth for a 30 degree day.) I'm always joking that if THIS is the worst of Perth weather (being winter now) I can hack it! LOL

The truth of the matter is, that my life, my intended's life and the lives of our children have all significantly improved with our move so my rosey specs only made an appearance AFTER I got here if at all.
Life is good.

Siren
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:34 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Rose tinted specs off?

I voted for I'm in oz and I never had them on.

Don't believe in wearing glasses. I don't even wear sun glasses, except polaroids for fishing.. I like to see the world through a non tinted way. Actually I'm a realist.. Some may call it being a pessimist, but it’s really being a realist.. .. sh*t I'm having a debate with myself now lol . I think I've gone round the twist at last.

You like your polls don't you?

Your reasons that you listed "why you shouldn't":
- family

Rule out money.. that should never stop anyone from trying something out.Some people make money as an excuse for things in life, whether you're rich or poor, both people use money as an excuse for many things - It's just an excuse for not doing things, or being scared to take the plunge. Costs of setting up - you'll get there in the end even if you have very little money. It’ll just take you longer than someone with money that's all, but you can enjoy building up a new life piece by piece too, if you want to take that aspect.
Having no jobs - You will get jobs.. Nobody is unemployable... very worst comes to worst you can go grape picking or something similar, temporarily until you find good jobs (apparently you can earn some good money picking fruit if you put your backs into it). where there's a will there's a way, corny saying, but true.

Family - this is usually the hardest one for most people, but it's not the end of the world .Maybe you'll be homesick, maybe you won't. Maybe you will hate it, maybe you won't. Maybe you will stay, maybe you will go back home - only one way to tell isn't it?, all the polls in the world isn't going to tell you if you will be happy here. If you never come here, I can bet you one thing though- you will probably always be wondering have you made the right choice.

cheers
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:48 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i dont really care. spex or no spex. im here and i love it
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:08 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

It's sometimes not a black and white (and rose) situation.

You like to think that you're a realist and you know it's not all cuddly koalas, endless bbqs and drive through bottle shops.

But then you tell your frineds, family and colleagues and they're all "wow you lucky so and so" and you start to find the rose tinting coming on (a bit like those light reactive specs you get).

Sometime you go with it and get full on rosé
But then you fight it cos you know it's not.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:17 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ceri
I voted for I'm in oz and I never had them on.

Don't believe in wearing glasses. I don't even wear sun glasses, except polaroids for fishing.. I like to see the world through a non tinted way. Actually I'm a realist.. Some may call it being a pessimist, but it’s really being a realist.. .. sh*t I'm having a debate with myself now lol . I think I've gone round the twist at last.

cheers
Ceri
You are a naughty girl - you live in Oz so you know how dangerous the sun can be for your eyes. Now go and get a pair of ray bans

I don't need glasses anymore since I had my eyes lasered

With regard to the rose tinted specs - maybe I used to wear them but I threw them away ages ago. We have realised that it will be difficult for my husband to get a job in Oz even though he is highly qualified in his field so we are going to start our own business.

I think the posts from the people that are all ready there are great - they tell the truth warts and all and although we may not like some of what we read it should all be taken in board.

In time, the newbies will come to realise how valuable some of these posters are.

Keep em coming you lot down under
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:56 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simone,

Maybye had them on over a year ago but you have to get real at some point and face up to the fact it's not going to be a holiday all the time and wherever you go in the world there will be things you don't agree with or like. It's finding the balance of what you can live with to enjoy the other things that mean more to you personally.

At the same time can't see the point in pessimism imo it's a waste of time going with that attitude or trying to do anything in life with that attitude.

..so we will be going with heaps of optimism - after all lifes short you might as well look forward to it

Max x
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:00 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Live outside of Australia/NZ and have never had rose-tinted sunnies about any place.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:51 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

I voted: Outside Oz/NZ: I don’t have rose tinted specs

...in fact in many ways I think it will be harder to start a life there then it would be over here in NL for us. There are less jobs there, certainly in my 'field' (IT). I've got good qualifications, but they're not Australian.

Anyway, I could probably write down quite a list of things that will be harder in Aus, but still we're gonna go and give it our best. Why? Partly because my fiancee is Australian and she would like to be back there. Partly because I really want to try to make it there and I think that _if_ I can find a reasonable job there we can be quite (very) happy and live a good life, which is pretty much all I want.

Oh and yes, it would be nice to have some more sun...although I'll probably won't like it much when it's 40 degrees or something. And yes, I'm aware that it can be cold there since there's little insulation and generally no central heating... (Try Melbourne at the coast in winter in a wooden house...never been that cold before :scared: )

And I realise that especially the first months could (will) be hard times, but that's ok. I've almost graduated uni here, so I would have to begin from scratch anyway. So that's what we're gonna do in Aus now. Not much sense in putting in lots of time and energy into a life in NL when I know that in a couple of years we would be going to Aus. and have to sell a house and give up our jobs etc.

So...we're going and although I'm aware of the difficulties I'm looking forward to it!
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:23 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Ceri
You like your polls don't you?

Your reasons that you listed "why you shouldn't":
- family

Rule out money.. that should never stop anyone from trying something out.Some people make money as an excuse for things in life, whether you're rich or poor, both people use money as an excuse for many things - It's just an excuse for not doing things, or being scared to take the plunge. Costs of setting up - you'll get there in the end even if you have very little money. It’ll just take you longer than someone with money that's all, but you can enjoy building up a new life piece by piece too, if you want to take that aspect.
Having no jobs - You will get jobs.. Nobody is unemployable... very worst comes to worst you can go grape picking or something similar, temporarily until you find good jobs (apparently you can earn some good money picking fruit if you put your backs into it). where there's a will there's a way, corny saying, but true.

Family - this is usually the hardest one for most people, but it's not the end of the world .Maybe you'll be homesick, maybe you won't. Maybe you will hate it, maybe you won't. Maybe you will stay, maybe you will go back home - only one way to tell isn't it?, all the polls in the world isn't going to tell you if you will be happy here. If you never come here, I can bet you one thing though- you will probably always be wondering have you made the right choice.

cheers
Yep, totally agree. I actually love living cheap, trying to save money!
Yeah, jobs, I'm not sure I even want a 'good' job(what is percieved as good). I think I might be happy with a simple job, and then kids in a few years

Yep, love polls

This isn't to try and make a decision though, we're leaving next week

I'm just a curious person.
Interesting results (not more than that, cos what does it really mean, nothing! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.