RORO car to Oz

Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:14 am
Just Joined

melbal35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RORO car to Oz

Hi - yes, I've done a search and read all the millions of posts on the subject of taking your car to Oz (or not...) and have found it all very useful. But! Was just wondering if anyone out there had anything specific to say about the DIY RORO option? We're looking to take a Ford Focus from London to Sydney in March/April and have been told that the RORO is the cheapest option. Can anyone recommend any specific companies or agents who can sort this out? How did the costs compare with sticking the car in a container? Was it it any good and also, worthwhile? Were the costs incurred in Oz horrendous? We know cars aren't cheap over there and are keen to take the car as a runaround for when we get there but want to suss out the best and cheapest way of doing so...Cheers for any advice
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:10 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice
Default Re: RORO car to Oz

Originally Posted by melbal35
Hi - yes, I've done a search and read all the millions of posts on the subject of taking your car to Oz (or not...) and have found it all very useful. But! Was just wondering if anyone out there had anything specific to say about the DIY RORO option? We're looking to take a Ford Focus from London to Sydney in March/April and have been told that the RORO is the cheapest option. Can anyone recommend any specific companies or agents who can sort this out? How did the costs compare with sticking the car in a container? Was it it any good and also, worthwhile? Were the costs incurred in Oz horrendous? We know cars aren't cheap over there and are keen to take the car as a runaround for when we get there but want to suss out the best and cheapest way of doing so...Cheers for any advice
Speak to these guys www.karmanshipping.co.uk.

Just out of interest what sort of Focus do you have? If the engine is anything other than a 1.8 or 2.0 litre you will not sell it in Oz as all Oz spec Focuses have either 1.8 or 2.0 litre engines. Also you do need Air Con.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We know cars aren't cheap over there
I would say that new cars are cheaper here & 2nd hand cars more expensive, ridiculously so in some cases.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:24 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

check to costs of cars first mate
i drive a wrx turbo here £20.5k from suburu ( their best deal )
the same car in oz again from scooby dealer £18.5 ( list price no deal etc )
( exchange rate 2.3 used )

i`ll sell mine here and get a new one on the other side for for a couple of grand more than the cost of second hand here

regards steve
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
check to costs of cars first mate
i drive a wrx turbo here £20.5k from suburu ( their best deal )
the same car in oz again from scooby dealer £18.5 ( list price no deal etc )
( exchange rate 2.3 used )

i`ll sell mine here and get a new one on the other side for for a couple of grand more than the cost of second hand here

regards steve
You can really push the dealers here for a discount. Play them off against each other to get a better deal. They work on paper thin margins (some are on only 2-4%). They make more money from 2nd hand cars, servicing & financing.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You can really push the dealers here for a discount. Play them off against each other to get a better deal. They work on paper thin margins (some are on only 2-4%). They make more money from 2nd hand cars, servicing & financing.
Nice one - thanks for all the info
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
Speak to these guys www.karmanshipping.co.uk.

Also you do need Air Con.
No but it helps (greatly)
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ialibu
No but it helps (greatly)

Thanks for the views and advice on buying a car in Oz so far guys, but has anybody out there had an experience with actually shipping a car from the UK via the Roll On Roll Off service, rather than shipping it in a crate? and if so what are your views (did it arrived in one piece? Were you happy with the service etc).

Thanks in advance