Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Room to swing a cat in Oz?

Room to swing a cat in Oz?

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice
Default Room to swing a cat in Oz?

Some nice weather has arrived in the uk and as usual it feels like every nice space in the country is jam packed with a thousand people all having the same idea of what to do on a nice day!

Whether it be beach, park, campsite or riverside pub, the world and his wife are there too and it just feels like is no room to breathe in this country!! And don't get me started on Bank holiday traffic:curse:

So I was wondering if its the same scenario in Oz? Please someone tell me no!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room to swing a cat in Oz?

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Please someone tell me no!!
No.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

AnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really nice

Nowhere near as bad. The major arterials in/out of the big cities do get busy around public holidays, and you'll have to arrive at the park/beach early to secure a public BBQ, but it won't be anywhere near as maddening as being stuck in British bank holiday traffic.

The flies are the biggest nuisance!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Room to swing a cat in Oz?

In 2004, the AA reported that there were 18 million cars on the road throughout the UK during Easter. That's just 2 million less than the population of Australia.

2005 & 2006 were about the same, and 2007 possibly worse.

You can guarantee that holiday traffic will be nowhere near this bad Down Under.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:15 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Sydney - then complain about UK traffic.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:13 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Bondi Beach on a Saturday in summer - packed. Traffic gridlock on Bondi Road.

But anyone who goes to Bondi Beach on a Saturday in summer deserves it.

There are popular places in Australia that get busy, like in England. The roads get busy on Friday leaving Sydney, and busy on a Sunday when everyone returns to the city.

And the roads at the weekend seem to be jammed at times with parents taking their kids to football, nippers etc.

But if you avoid certain times and certain places, it's generally okay.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:09 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Some nice weather has arrived in the uk and as usual it feels like every nice space in the country is jam packed with a thousand people all having the same idea of what to do on a nice day!

Whether it be beach, park, campsite or riverside pub, the world and his wife are there too and it just feels like is no room to breathe in this country!! And don't get me started on Bank holiday traffic:curse:

So I was wondering if its the same scenario in Oz? Please someone tell me no!!
In my experience (2 and a half years), no.

Around Brisbane anyway ... I instinctively avoid 'the beach' during holidays and head inland, which probably helps things ... it's also cooler when the sun is beating down ... leave the lobsters to burn

It's the major thing I like about this place (apart from the family ...), room to move.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Come to Sydney - then complain about UK traffic.
I have to agree, we were stuck for 16 hours in holiday trafic leaving Sydney to go North around new year. I was stuck on the Karuah bridge for most of the day, luckily we were towing a caravan! People forget there is only ONE road leading out of Sydney to go north and they are all on it during peak holiday times.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

If you gave us an idea of where you are heading, people living near there could give you a better insite.

come to Adelaide - definately no traffic jams here.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:06 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I have to agree, we were stuck for 16 hours in holiday trafic leaving Sydney to go North around new year. I was stuck on the Karuah bridge for most of the day, luckily we were towing a caravan! People forget there is only ONE road leading out of Sydney to go north and they are all on it during peak holiday times.

Oh you exagerate

There are two roads that go North out of Sydney now - F3 and the old pacific highway. Once past the Hawksberry you can go the scenic and take loads of time. The difficulty is both of them are busy bank holiday weekends - we spent 8 hours on it one evening after an accident. Lucky we were going camping and I had a cool box of booze - poor hubby had to drive.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:09 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Crowded STH Australian beach.................mm
Attached Thumbnails Room to swing a cat in Oz?-fishing-2007-003.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover

I know, it's bad isn't it. It's always crowded when we go too.
Attached Thumbnails Room to swing a cat in Oz?-mpeg0001-014_0001.jpg   Room to swing a cat in Oz?-mpeg0003-002_0001.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yep, that's like the beaches whenever we've been, the most people we've ever seen has been about 5 - fantastic!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:03 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sandra
Oh you exagerate

There are two roads that go North out of Sydney now - F3 and the old pacific highway. Once past the Hawksberry you can go the scenic and take loads of time. The difficulty is both of them are busy bank holiday weekends - we spent 8 hours on it one evening after an accident. Lucky we were going camping and I had a cool box of booze - poor hubby had to drive.
our first trip in that direction all i knew was the words Pacific Hwy.. i didn't know there was an old and a new... took us bloody ages to get anywhere then i noticed that huge big road
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Oh you exagerate
I wish I were. They had only just opened the new Karuah bypass BUT in someones infinite wisdom they decided to close the second lane in patches to try and keep the trafic flowing!! Let's just say it didn't work. What made it infiately worse is the Australians idiotic need to get out the car and go for a walk each time the trafic stopped. They were exercising by the side of the road, having chats with other drivers 20 cars behind them etc. So when the trafic starts to move again for another 50 yards you have to wait for all the blessed locals to get back to their cars! Some were even off having a Mr whippy behind the bushes, and when there were no cover they would do it right out in the open.

That was my 1st month here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.