Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rooksie and any other ping pongers

rooksie and any other ping pongers

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice
Default rooksie and any other ping pongers

have read a lot of yr posts with great interest.
we havent gone yet and already i am planning ahead in case it doesnt work out!! just curious about yr kids schooling - say you have a child who would finish p5 this june or july in uk then we go to oz i understand they wd probably repeat a couple of months to start oz equivalent of p6 in jan/feb. thats fine but how did you get on when you returned to uk - did yr kids miss a few months and do you think it was a big deal? probably depends a lot on the kid but wondered if there was a way to slot them back into uk schooling without them losing out? (does this make sense???)
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: rooksie and any other ping pongers

Originally Posted by paleface
we havent gone yet and already i am planning ahead in case it doesnt work out!! just curious about yr kids schooling - say you have a child who would finish p5 this june or july in uk then we go to oz i understand they wd probably repeat a couple of months to start oz equivalent of p6 in jan/feb. thats fine but how did you get on when you returned to uk - did yr kids miss a few months and do you think it was a big deal? probably depends a lot on the kid but wondered if there was a way to slot them back into uk schooling without them losing out? (does this make sense???)
I understand what you are saying, but as I am not a ping ponger (Yet!!) I can not answer your question. I just want to wish you all the very best and hope that it works out for you.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Our son slotting back into school fine. His teacher gave him a bit of extra work for a couple of weeks and that worked well. He moved up to middle school during our time in oz and when we came back he started in secondary school the same day as the rest of the kids

Now we are thinking about heading back we realise that we must do it soon or not at all, he is in year 8 here so will be taking his options next year.

Hope this helps,

Mandy
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

we havent gone yet and already i am planning ahead in case it doesnt work out!!
Optimism is a wonderful thing. You should try some
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:08 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

hi - our youngest went back into Year 1 so no great shakes there as she was only 5!! eldest went back to year 6 a few weeks before they were due to sit thair SATS i asked her teacher if she needed to do extra work to catch up but she was fine, no worries!!! however, she is now in Year 7 and secondary school and would be looking to go into Year 8 in Oz next january - pickles your brain doesnt it!!

jesus, you worry more than me!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

We moved here last July on a "try it and see" basis so we have not sold up in the UK and could go back at any time, but we have realised that it isn't that simple because we have 3 children at school, although it is probably only an issue for our oldest son, who is currently in year 9 in Oz. As there is no equivalent to GCSEs here (just the exams at the end of year 12 - equivalent to A levels) we have realised that if we stay beyond August this year, we really have to stay until he has finished year 12 otherwise it will too difficult for him to change between the two education systems. I would be less concerned about the younger two (who are still in primary) changing.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice

thanks for the replies - more for me to think about. famous 5 - can see ourselves doing exactly what u r doing - a try it and see adventure - i see it as a family gap year! so what do u think of it? will it be oz or uk? good on you for giving it a go. our house goes up for sale in uk this week and already im wondering maybe we should rent it! probably decide by tossing a coin mon morn!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the replies - more for me to think about. famous 5 - can see ourselves doing exactly what u r doing - a try it and see adventure - i see it as a family gap year! so what do u think of it? will it be oz or uk? good on you for giving it a go. our house goes up for sale in uk this week and already im wondering maybe we should rent it! probably decide by tossing a coin mon morn!
Hi Paleface

If you're just giving it a try then I would recommend renting out your UK property rather than selling particularly as the property market in the UK still seems to be rising.

Our view is that if we do go back it will have been a family gap year. We are intending to make a decision in July at the 12 month point, but at the moment it is too early to call.

The children are loving it, so is my OH (who got a job here before we left the UK), but I have mixed feelings as I am not finding it easy to get a job and I am used to working. However, I'm following up some leads and who knows what will happen!

We are really loving Australia and all it has to offer and we are really glad we are here. Even if we end up going back, we won't regret doing this. Life is too short not to give things a go and if you don't try something you may always regret it. So best of luck with your decision and the move - go for it whether you decide on a gap year or a "no going back" move.