Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Roof Plumber etc.......

Roof Plumber etc.......

Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

jayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura about
Question Roof Plumber etc.......

Hi all

We are just starting the headache and aiming to be out there sometime in 2009 (depending which visa we get out on, starting on a 457 but really waiting for the revised 176 D pathway coming back)
I was wondering is there much call for roof plumbers, texture wall coating and roof restoration guys out in Perth or Brisbane?
any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by jayandcoral; Mar 4th 2008 at 4:15 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice
Default Re: Roof Plumber etc.......

Originally Posted by jayandcoral
Hi all

We are just starting the headache and aiming to be out there sometime in 2009 (depending which visa we get out on, starting on a 457 but really waiting for the revised 176 D pathway coming back)
I was wondering is there much call for roof plumbers, texture wall coating and roof restoration guys out in Perth or Brisbane?
any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Hi jason, i'm sure my boss would set you on tomorrow. I work for a plumbing maintence co (north Brisbane) and roof plumbers are hard to come by as most pommie plumbers only touched a roof when 18 at college. Where are you moving from.

Dale
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:26 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
Hi jason, i'm sure my boss would set you on tomorrow. I work for a plumbing maintence co (north Brisbane) and roof plumbers are hard to come by as most pommie plumbers only touched a roof when 18 at college. Where are you moving from.

Dale
Hi Demented ferret, we are due to arrive north of Brissy in next couple of months (when we finally get exchange date), i'm a plumber, worked as one for 16 years. How easy did you find it getting work? I don't do gas, just domestic and commercial plumbs, did you manage to secure a job before you arrived?
Thanks for any info you can supply, J.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

jayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura aboutjayandcoral has a spectacular aura about

Dale
Hi Dale

I live in Kent, done the fascia, soffit, guttering etc and roofs for about
11 years now but of cause you don't get certs in our game (hense the 457 visa). you read alot about the other trades but nothing about ours.
If you don't mind me asking whats the going rate out there for roof plumbers?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited by jayandcoral; Mar 5th 2008 at 1:06 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dale

11 years now but of cause you don't get certs in our game (hense the 457 visa). you read alot about the other trades but nothing about ours.

Cheers
Jay
Bump
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

BimboBenjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dale

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay

I don't know the anwer to your question but my bf is a metal sheeter (or 'Roof Plumber' as called in Aussie) & we will be over in Sydney in May. He has a friend that has just got his PR and is also a Roof Plumber. His friend has been to aussie many times and says that there is a demand for your kind of work and is very well paid compared to over here in UK so is moving over there at the end of this yr too.

I hope that someone can provide some more info on here though!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi Demented ferret, we are due to arrive north of Brissy in next couple of months (when we finally get exchange date), i'm a plumber, worked as one for 16 years. How easy did you find it getting work? I don't do gas, just domestic and commercial plumbs, did you manage to secure a job before you arrived?
Thanks for any info you can supply, J.
Hi Betsy, picking up work as a plumber won't be a problem. I started on new work when i arrived, so many new estates it wont be a problem. I went for my first interview 3 weeks after arriving and was offered a job on the spot. Only $21 an hour but was happy to get a job. I left after 6 months of repetative work to join a maintenence co $23 an hour. Two years later on $28 ph. Of course a subbie with full licence could earn upto $55 ph and self employed Upto $85 ph depends on your ambition.
Its getting your foot on the ladder and working your way up. The aussies negotiate pay all the time and will pay as little as possible if they can get away with it.

Hope this helps you too Jason.

As for areas we live at Mango Hill, we have Luke aged 12 and he loves it here, depends on what you wan't (City, Beaches, Mountains, Family, Friendly areas) we feel for us we made the right move. For info on the area go to our website and click on the links. We are 15 mins to the coast, 10 mins to a train line. And all shops on the doorstep with a massive bussiness in the process of being built. Plenty of employment for office workers.

If i can help with any other questions give us a yell.

Dale

Last edited by Sue; Mar 8th 2008 at 2:49 pm. Reason: link removed from post, its already in your signature
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Hi Betsy, picking up work as a plumber won't be a problem. I started on new work when i arrived, so many new estates it wont be a problem. I went for my first interview 3 weeks after arriving and was offered a job on the spot. Only $21 an hour but was happy to get a job. I left after 6 months of repetative work to join a maintenence co $23 an hour. Two years later on $28 ph. Of course a subbie with full licence could earn upto $55 ph and self employed Upto $85 ph depends on your ambition.
Its getting your foot on the ladder and working your way up. The aussies negotiate pay all the time and will pay as little as possible if they can get away with it.

Hope this helps you too Jason.

As for areas we live at Mango Hill, we have Luke aged 12 and he loves it here, depends on what you wan't (City, Beaches, Mountains, Family, Friendly areas) we feel for us we made the right move. For info on the area go to our website and click on the links. We are 15 mins to the coast, 10 mins to a train line. And all shops on the doorstep with a massive bussiness in the process of being built. Plenty of employment for office workers.

If i can help with any other questions give us a yell.

Dale
Thanks Dale

Great website

Jason