Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rockingham-Mandurah:Anyone living the dream here!

Wikiposts

Rockingham-Mandurah:Anyone living the dream here!

Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
I live at Halls Head. Some very nice houses on some good sized blocks.

You must take your son to Bunbury to see the Dolphins. I have been there 3 times now taking one or another and I love it more each time.
The 2nd time I went out on the boat, the dolphins had come across a shoal of herring and were working as a team to catch them. What a fantastic experience.
Last time i went, which was last week with my cousin, we made the trip down to Bunbury early as if you get there before 8.30 a couple of them come in and swim around you.
There is also a trip for you to beable to swim with them there.
The boat trip was fantastic. I would go out on it everyday if I could.

The Restaurant is going fine. We are expecting a very busy weekend ahead with it being Easter.

Do you have children?

There is a very good School here for year 8 - 10. It is callled Halls Head Community College.
My daughter loves it and tells me that the teachers are very 'Cool' whatever that means.
The kids learn Japanese here.

If there is anything specific you want to know, you can PM me and I will try and answer anything I can.

Whisky

Thanks whisky -i will pm with any q's-have a profitable easter weekend.
I have 2 children-15yrs,and 6 yrs.So good to know that you have first hand experience with the school system.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by paula m
you may like to look at

www.mandurahmigrant.com.au

Cheers Paula-already visited today and left a message.
Great site-keep up the good work
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Its under 'Crabtree first instalment'.

Whisky
Hi Whisky - thanks for posting that thread - it was great reading and just the sort of info I'm after.

My kids are desparate to swim with the dolphins and have been nagging me to take them to Florida so they can do this as their cousins have been numerous times. Hubby hates rides so we'd thought we'd emigrate to Oz instead
Old Apr 8th 2004, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Whisky

What wonderful posts you make - we are heading to mandurah/secret harbour in January. We validated in January this year & we hired a little fishing boat - mum bought my twin boys(8yrs old) fishing rods for xmas & they caught their first fish in Mandurah estuary. We took the boat into the estuary (after a few hairy moments) & the dolphons were swimming around the boat - it was amazing - it is so difficult to explain to people back home what it is like. I celebrated the big 40 while I was there & swam with the dolphins at Bunbury - what a thrill - I will remember it as long as I live - can't wait to get settled & for the visitors to start to come - gives me an excuse to have another go.

The area is our idea of heaven - I have promised the hubbie that he can have his toy - boat so you will have to let me know of any boat sales websites so he can salivate over it!!!

We will definately come and pay your place a visit.

keep posting - a real pleasure yo read.

pockygoes
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few boat sales places in Mandurah.
The place we bought from was very good and more than helpful.
I think that if you wait till the winter months you would pick up a boat pretty easily and a lot cheaper as people want to get rid of them then. Of course, we couldn't wait.

Whisky
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:18 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

[i]Originally posted by pockygoes [/i

The area is our idea of heaven - I have promised the hubbie that he can have his toy - boat so you will have to let me know of any boat sales websites so he can salivate over it!!!

pockygoes
Try this site,I look,salivate and...........well, I still ain't got me boat

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boatsearch.asp

Been in Mandurah since July and love it.Too busy to post on crappy un-informative sites like this.For example,I went to see Starsky and Hutch last night.Not the film,David Soul and Paul Michael double Glasier.Discussed with Dave his daughters up coming marriage to James Wattana,the snooker player,as he is considering taking the brides surname after his own!!!
Also compared body hair with Paul,or "Paul"as I call him.Seems he has some lovely anal dreadlocks.
I digress.....anyway.Mandurahs great,so there,and every where else in the world ain't.

BB-As informative as I get,so don't give up on us baby
Old Apr 12th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debio
Wow ! you are very lucky.What you just said about the dolphins would be a dream come true for my son.He wants to be a marine biologist -and oz seems a great place for him to follow his dream.

Do you know anything about Halls head from personal experience?

Debi
My daughter wants to be a marine biologist too. Her bedroom is full of dolphins, from the duvet set to the walls and everything in between. How old is your son? I read in the local paper about six months ago, about the proposal for a Marine Research Institute to be built right here in Halls Head! Next time I see any more info, I'll try and remember to post it here for you.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 9:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
My daughter wants to be a marine biologist too. Her bedroom is full of dolphins, from the duvet set to the walls and everything in between. How old is your son? I read in the local paper about six months ago, about the proposal for a Marine Research Institute to be built right here in Halls Head! Next time I see any more info, I'll try and remember to post it here for you.
The son of my parents Dutch friends in Perth, the same age as me, is now studying Marine Biology in Tasmania!!

He and his sister (now a nurse at Charles Gardner) started with diving (without air, just using there own power to get as deep as possible). It has a name, but I forget.
Then he started on a fisheries course in Perth, but not sure if he finished it.
Then about 1.5 years ago, he went up to Broome and worked as a pearl diver there. Very demanding job, but good to save some money.
Now, in Feb, he's just started on the Marine Biology in Tasmania.

I didn't think Tassy would be the place for that, oh well....

I have a feeling it is a very popular job to have, and I bet it is pretty difficult to get into, the courses too.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jacqui
Wow Jacqui that sounds very interesting-please do keep me posted. My son is 15 in a few weeks time.He'll be made up to hear that news.

-Debi
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simone82
The son of my parents Dutch friends in Perth, the same age as me, is now studying Marine Biology in Tasmania!!

He and his sister (now a nurse at Charles Gardner) started with diving (without air, just using there own power to get as deep as possible). It has a name, but I forget.
Then he started on a fisheries course in Perth, but not sure if he finished it.
Then about 1.5 years ago, he went up to Broome and worked as a pearl diver there. Very demanding job, but good to save some money.
Now, in Feb, he's just started on the Marine Biology in Tasmania.

I didn't think Tassy would be the place for that, oh well....

I have a feeling it is a very popular job to have, and I bet it is pretty difficult to get into, the courses too.
It's free diving i think your talking about-i was watching some world record attempts the other week on one of the cable channels.It's amazing-one of the record attempters passed out
:scared:

They dive down and follow a rope and there are other divers in the water -with air-incase of any difficulties-amazing stuff.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:58 pm
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Look under Whisky

We have been here since October.

We live in Mandurah and have a Restaurant in Rockingham.

So far, we are very happy here.

Take a look under Crabtrees 1st instalment.

Whisky

Hope to locate in Mandurah when and if we get into WA, my Maiden name is Crabtree, lived in Jersey for 17 years but originally from Middlesbrough and all my family still there.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think that most of my Hubbies family come from Leeds and that way.
I know that they are related to 'Big Daddy' the wrestler (now deceased) if that is any help.

Whisky
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:34 pm
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think that most of my Hubbies family come from Leeds and that way.
I know that they are related to 'Big Daddy' the wrestler (now deceased) if that is any help.

Whisky
It is probably really common name although I spent half my life trying to hide it! Don't think I am related to big daddy, although I did know he was called Crabtree.

Oh well just nice to hear the name. Coming over to Perth to stay with friends in Applecross in March next year. We are trying to get a regional sponsored Visa, husband an electirican. This visa dictates that we live and work outside metropolitan area and part of Mandurah comes under this, so we will be coming up to see when we are there. What is your resteraunt called?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default contributory parent visa

Originally posted by yvsie
We left the UK September 03 , holidayed in Sydney and visited friends, finally arriving in WA early October.
We were open minded about where to live before we came. We looked around as much as possible but fell in love with here. We feel that we have made the right choice for us. The kids (aged 19, 15 and 11) have settled well into school so far....and I feel that the schools that my 2 girls are in are doing just as good a job as the ones in the Uk that they attended.
I got a job no problem (nurse).Hubby stayed at home to be with the kids during the sumer hols and has now landed himself a job fairly easy too..much to his disgust!!!!!.(joiner...but going to work in bunnings!!...like B&Q in uk).

We came from a fairly built up area in the Uk so we are enjoying the feel of space here. I have just been to a neighbours house to a jewelery party and one of the women there (and Australian woman at that!) said 'oh its all houses and shops here!' not much to do she said....well at the moment we are enjoying exploring our new surroundings. Maybe in years to come we will feel different about it here.....but right now we are so glad that we made the move.

We miss family and friends but that is the sacrifice you make eh?
I also missed familiarity and routine at first...felt like a duck out of water. The first 3 months were very hectic but life is slowly settling into a 'normal' routine...if that is what you can call it here!

My mum is out here at the moment visiting and she can see why we love it here too.....Im dreading saying goodbye again!...but maybe she will come on a contributory parent visa..she fits the criteria ..we just have to wait till we have been here 2 yrs!

Yusie,
we've just got all the information on the contributory parent visa for my mother-in-law, and you don't have to wait till you've been here 2 years, you can sponsor your mum if you have a permanent visa.
Good luck,
Jo (Stoney's wife)
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by michellecarre
It is probably really common name although I spent half my life trying to hide it! Don't think I am related to big daddy, although I did know he was called Crabtree.

Oh well just nice to hear the name. Coming over to Perth to stay with friends in Applecross in March next year. We are trying to get a regional sponsored Visa, husband an electirican. This visa dictates that we live and work outside metropolitan area and part of Mandurah comes under this, so we will be coming up to see when we are there. What is your resteraunt called?
I am sure that everone knows the name of my restaurant, but here goes, 'Stones Throw' and it is on Railway Terrace, Rockingham.

Whisky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.