British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Rockingham (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rockingham-486351/)

joandpete Oct 10th 2007 5:09 am

Rockingham

Hi everyone
We are looking to migrate to Perth in February and are really struggling with areas to live. When we visited this year we loved Secret Harbour but are finding ourselves put off with it being part of Rockingham.Does Rockingham deserve it's bad reputation.When we rented there for 2 weeks and mentioned it to people out and about when we where exploring suburbs NOR they would all pull faces and just say Mandurah was loverly but not Rockingham. Opinions good or bad would really help me.
Thanks Pete

Dorothy Oct 10th 2007 5:26 am

Re: Rockingham

Originally Posted by joandpete (Post 5407030)
Hi everyone
We are looking to migrate to Perth in February and are really struggling with areas to live. When we visited this year we loved Secret Harbour but are finding ourselves put off with it being part of Rockingham.Does Rockingham deserve it's bad reputation.When we rented there for 2 weeks and mentioned it to people out and about when we where exploring suburbs NOR they would all pull faces and just say Mandurah was loverly but not Rockingham. Opinions good or bad would really help me.
Thanks Pete

Why would you care what anyone else thinks? Live where YOU like, not some stranger's opinion of what suits you.

jonjelly Oct 10th 2007 6:49 am

We really like Rockingham, its got a nice beach, shops, so close to perth and still good house prices, you could live there and still go for nice meals in perth, why dont you do a search on rockingham on the net. secret harbour is also nice but rentals are like gold dust there now and not much below $300 a week. depends what your after. good luck

gobbyjock Oct 10th 2007 6:59 am

It always amazes how many people have opinions on places they`ve never actually lived in. I like Rockingham and Secret Harbour seems like a nice place to live (I live between the two) everyone seems to have an opinion on stuff like this over here but I would say you are better listening to people who have first hand experience of the area. Like anywhere there are places which you might want to avoid but you probably get that in the Northern Burbs too (though I could be wrong about that as I have never lived NOR and may just be biased toward SOR:p)

julesandco Oct 10th 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by joandpete (Post 5407030)
Hi everyone
Thanks Pete

It's not 'part' of Rockingham, SH just comes under Rockingham City Council. Which is a good thing if you're building as Rocky are taking 6 weeks to approve planning applications and Mandurah are taking a minimum of 12!

Mandurah for years was the 'retirement' destination of WA. Now with all the infrastructure, it's a booming, vibrant, cool place to live.

Rockingham is older and has more industry on it's door step. They are sinking a lot of money into renovating the foreshore in Rocky - Rocky is probably what Mandurah was like 10 years ago.

I prefer Mandurah as a town, but it makes no difference to me what council we come under.

Jules

mindblower Oct 10th 2007 8:58 am

[ Thanks Pete[/QUOTE]

Theres more to Rockingham than you may think once you see it in the flesh.

Dave;)

Dorothy Oct 10th 2007 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 5407046)
Why would you care what anyone else thinks? Live where YOU like, not some stranger's opinion of what suits you.

Sorry, that sounded a little rude. It wasn't meant to be at all. What I meant was that if you like the area then it's where you should live. The number of people who told us not to move to Clarkson because it was "rough" and the schools were bad astounds me. This was from people who have never set foot in our suburb.

My advice...Find what you and your family like and move there. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

melaniee Oct 10th 2007 12:20 pm

We have a gorgeous house for sale in Waikiki-15 minutes walk to beach. Close to Rockingham, Fremantle and Mandurah.

If anyone is interested please PM me for more info. It is a great area and offers a lot.

julesandco Oct 10th 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by melaniee (Post 5408542)
We have a gorgeous house for sale in Waikiki-15 minutes walk to beach. Close to Rockingham, Fremantle and Mandurah.

If anyone is interested please PM me for more info. It is a great area and offers a lot.

You're not ping-ponging again, are you?

Jules x

melaniee Oct 10th 2007 12:26 pm

Nah ! Love Australia-just trying another part of it-it is a huge place and all so different-fancy an adventure :)

Originally Posted by julesandco (Post 5408567)
You're not ping-ponging again, are you?

Jules x

joandpete Oct 10th 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mindblower (Post 5407489)
[ Thanks Pete

Theres more to Rockingham than you may think once you see it in the flesh.

Dave;)[/QUOTE]

Dave,would you care to expand on that statement.

joandpete Oct 10th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by julesandco (Post 5407274)
It's not 'part' of Rockingham, SH just comes under Rockingham City Council. Which is a good thing if you're building as Rocky are taking 6 weeks to approve planning applications and Mandurah are taking a minimum of 12!

Mandurah for years was the 'retirement' destination of WA. Now with all the infrastructure, it's a booming, vibrant, cool place to live.

Rockingham is older and has more industry on it's door step. They are sinking a lot of money into renovating the foreshore in Rocky - Rocky is probably what Mandurah was like 10 years ago.

I prefer Mandurah as a town, but it makes no difference to me what council we come under.

Jules

Jules ,we did love secret harbour and other parts around there,i meant no offence to anybody living there. I just wanted accurate opinions from people who live there, as i have been reading lots of forums for a couple of years and to many it is considerd to be quite rough.I never saw any bad areas when we stayed there,but we only hung around the beach or travelled to days out.Rockingham does get a lot of mentions in the Perth News online.
Jules,my wife needs to know where is the best shopping for clothes if you live in secret harbour:)

julesandco Oct 11th 2007 12:46 am

Originally Posted by joandpete (Post 5409816)
Jules ,we did love secret harbour and other parts around there,i meant no offence to anybody living there. I just wanted accurate opinions from people who live there, as i have been reading lots of forums for a couple of years and to many it is considerd to be quite rough.I never saw any bad areas when we stayed there,but we only hung around the beach or travelled to days out.Rockingham does get a lot of mentions in the Perth News online.
Jules,my wife needs to know where is the best shopping for clothes if you live in secret harbour:)

Eeeerrrr nowhere!!! WA is a bit pants for clothes shopping. You've got Target for the cheap and functional, but if you want anything 'special' or a choice (!), you're best to go to one of the larger shopping centres further north.

My hubby has to travel around the Metro area a lot for surveys and believe me when I say there are some major areas to avoid out there; Rocky and Mandurah aren't two of them :)

Good lcuk,

Jules x

melaniee Oct 11th 2007 12:51 am

There is now a link to my ad at the bottom of my signature !

Originally Posted by melaniee (Post 5408542)

hitchcock71 Oct 11th 2007 7:33 am

Originally Posted by julesandco (Post 5411055)
Eeeerrrr nowhere!!! WA is a bit pants for clothes shopping. You've got Target for the cheap and functional, but if you want anything 'special' or a choice (!), you're best to go to one of the larger shopping centres further north.

My hubby has to travel around the Metro area a lot for surveys and believe me when I say there are some major areas to avoid out there; Rocky and Mandurah aren't two of them :)

Good lcuk,

Jules x

what areas are really bad then ???? which are the major areas ?