Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Road trip from Gold coast to Uluru

Road trip from Gold coast to Uluru

Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip from Gold coast to Uluru

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Are you asking on spiritual or safety grounds?
I would have climbed but it was wet (with waterfalls coming off) when we went.
Your discouraged from climbing on risk grounds, it's not because its sacred or anything, it's because the traditional owners downg want anyone to get hurt. Bad karma and all that.
It is steep and a wrong foot you could kaput. I think the risk helps people decide. A bit like air bags - imagine how safely we'd drive if instead of an airbag it was a hard metal spike! So not having safety rails etc i think is good. It keeps the the place unspoilt and deters the less capable.
It was simlat up in Karijini. Some of the climbs were not for the feint heartened.
Spiritual, I know there are a lot of views on it, but to many people it is a holy place, so I'm genuinely interested in people's views on it - should you walk all over it when those who believe it is holy refuse to do so?

I don't have the physical capability to do a climb like that, but I wouldn't feel right doing it in any case.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Spiritual, I know there are a lot of views on it, but to many people it is a holy place, so I'm genuinely interested in people's views on it - should you walk all over it when those who believe it is holy refuse to do so?

I don't have the physical capability to do a climb like that, but I wouldn't feel right doing it in any case.
Ok. Well we were told that it's not that spiritual. Certain places on aNd around the rock are but not necessarily the whole thing. Your discouraged because there he been fatalities and the trad owners don't want this. It's bad karma to come onto thir lnd snd get killed.
Kata Tjuta on the other hand is very spiritual. They won't even tell you the stories of it as these are handed down through the mob only. When walking there you are asked to keep specifically to the paths and nt climb anywhere. We respected this but would have climbed the rock.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Spiritual, I know there are a lot of views on it, but to many people it is a holy place, so I'm genuinely interested in people's views on it - should you walk all over it when those who believe it is holy refuse to do so?.
I lived and worked at Ayers Rock Resort for a few years (the township is called Yulara and Uluru is the shortened Aboriginal name (in a sense)).

Many Aborigines we spoke to saw it as a temple, like you see in a church and really did not enjoy people climbing it, like you wouldn't even think of doing in a normal church. They also became very distressed if someone died on the climb, yes it happened more than you care to think of usually people climbing in 40+ heat or with stilettos on or with very small children in tow.

The Aborigines I spoke to were happy that the park was licenced in a sense and visitors paid for entry - helps with the upkeep of the national park and provided a living etc..

There are parts of the rock that you shouldn't take photos of either and if anyone visits please don't take photos of Aborigine people either.

I had some very extremely surreal experiences out there, especially late at night ... and some unexplainable 'things' in photos..... shudder.... anyway.....

Ask away if you have questions anyone. And yes, it is vastly overpriced in my opinion, however it is very expensive also to trek in food and other supplies etc..
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:51 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for you comments.

We are very excited to do this trip. It will be a once in a life time trip for us. Ill let you know how we got on when we return.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention it is one of the most beautiful awe inspiring places I have ever been to. Watching the sunrise or sunset over the 'rock' is somthing you will never forget. There is a dinner called Sounds of Silence which takes place in the desert which is brililant also. Thoroughly recommend.

Do yourself a favour and buy fly nets before you get there, they can be really annoying pesky little buggers and can, if they 'attack' all at once very distracting and awful. :-( if you're driving also take your own alcohol and snacks - the shop onsite can be very expensive - just sneak them into your room!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
I lived and worked at Ayers Rock Resort for a few years (the township is called Yulara and Uluru is the shortened Aboriginal name (in a sense)).

Many Aborigines we spoke to saw it as a temple, like you see in a church and really did not enjoy people climbing it, like you wouldn't even think of doing in a normal church. They also became very distressed if someone died on the climb, yes it happened more than you care to think of usually people climbing in 40+ heat or with stilettos on or with very small children in tow.

The Aborigines I spoke to were happy that the park was licenced in a sense and visitors paid for entry - helps with the upkeep of the national park and provided a living etc..

There are parts of the rock that you shouldn't take photos of either and if anyone visits please don't take photos of Aborigine people either.

I had some very extremely surreal experiences out there, especially late at night ... and some unexplainable 'things' in photos..... shudder.... anyway.....

Ask away if you have questions anyone. And yes, it is vastly overpriced in my opinion, however it is very expensive also to trek in food and other supplies etc..
That;s the reasoning that I would never want to climb it; I wouldn't climb on the stones at Stonehenge either - they are both sacred to certain people.
Must have been fantastic to work out there - and I can imagine there must be so many spirits and eerie occurrences in thee area.....great experience!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Hi Still Game,

Like you I lived and worked in Yulara ( #8 Dogshit Alley to be exact )

I also had a great time and look back at my time there with some fond memories, I loved the desert and surrounds and my time spent there was one of the highlights of my career. I feel that those who think that The Rock, The Olga's and the surrounding desert has only two days worth of "entertainment value", would be best advised to stick to the Gold coast.

As for the "rip off" cost of everything.....all the resorts fuel supply comes from Port Augusta. So when they order fuel for the filling station, hotels or power station, a road trail will load three trailers of fuel in Port Augusta and drive almost 1,500 Kilometers to the resort and then drive back empty. An almost 3,000 round trip.

Anybody who thinks that they are going to get 4c a liter off the pump price with a "woollies" voucher is living in a dream world.

Most other supplies come from Alice Springs and this delivery truck has an almost 1,000 Kilometer round trip to make. When I was there, the supply truck only made two trips per week, so the hotels had to order in bulk and then keep the product refrigerated in the desert heat using the fuel obtained from Port Augusta at "rip off" prices.

Ayers Rock Resort is the largest resort in Australia and probably the most remote, just maintaining the facilities there costs a fortune and the cost of the product has to reflect this in order for the resort to exist.

I just checked the resorts web site and while I agree that while the prices for hotels, attractions and side trip are not cheap, they are all clearly marked so there is little excuse for a visitor to make the long trip to 'The Rock', without knowing what sort of costs to expect.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton
We are planning on doing a road trip to Ulure next year. Within 3 weeks

Has anyone done this trip? If so, I would love to hear your expriences.

Cheers
Hi Julie,

Good luck with your trip, I'm sure that you'll have a great time, especially if you haven't seen that part of the world before. Who's going to with you on this trip, just the 'significant other' or will you have children with you ?

Two adults can have a great time just enjoying each others company, the local scenery and the fact that they are on a road trip and away from home for a few weeks. Though if you have 'young-uns' with you, they might not share your appreciation of our "Wide brown land"

I'd take the advice offered by another poster, who suggested doing a round trip rather than retracing your tracks on the way back. That way your return trip is adding another dimension to your journey rather than just 'going home'.

Rest stops can be few and far between on the outback roads so packing a few comfort items will make the journey a little easier. A $20 gas stove and a supply of water can give you a nice hot cup of tea or coffee in a few minutes. Packs of 'two minute' noodles' give a quick feed, and tins of flavored tuna on a roll are my favorite cold feed. I find that the 'six pack' bread rolls last much longer than sliced bread without refrigeration.

Also a supply of toilet rolls and paper towels can come in real handy from time to time

The hotels at Ayers Rock are a little on the high side, especially in the peak season, but when I was there most staff members who had family members visiting used to use the "Emu Walk" self catering apartments to house their families. It's quite a saving not to have to have to use the commercial outlets for every meal.

Even cheaper is the Ayers Rock camp ground, with a full range of accommodation ranging from un-powered tent sites to fully equipped cabins.

Taking your own food and grog will save quite a bit and if you acquire a taste for red wine or port, then you will also save on the cost of ice and the weight of the beer.

Car camping can be a real adventure and you are going to the right part of the world to enjoy it. Have a great time and don't even think of driving at night
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
What are you driving? How do you plan to have overnight stops?

If you can only travel on sealed roads then you basically have two options: head up to Mt Isa, across the Barkly Highway to the Sturt Hwy, then down through Alice to Uluru; or alternatively head down to Broken Hill, across via Peterborough to Port Augusta, then up the Sturt via Coober Pedy to Uluru. Or make a round trip of it.

If you can travel on dirt roads and camp out, there are a lot more interesting options!
Tho for many of the dirt roads you are supposed to ask Aboriginal permission to use them.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:37 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Tho for many of the dirt roads you are supposed to ask Aboriginal permission to use them.
The dirt roads between the Gold Coast and Yulara (Donahue, Plenty, Oodnadatta, Strzlecki) are all open public roads, as are the roads into places like Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, etc. It's only when you start heading west from Uluru that you hit roads that require local Lands Council permits (such as the Great Central down to Laverton in WA).
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The dirt roads between the Gold Coast and Yulara (Donahue, Plenty, Oodnadatta, Strzlecki) are all open public roads, as are the roads into places like Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, etc. It's only when you start heading west from Uluru that you hit roads that require local Lands Council permits (such as the Great Central down to Laverton in WA).
Cool. I'd heard that some roads need permits but weren't sure the details. Just making the OP aware
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hino
Hi Still Game,

Like you I lived and worked in Yulara ( #8 Dogshit Alley to be exact )
Nice one! what did you do there and when were you there?

Originally Posted by Hino
As for the "rip off" cost of everything.....all the resorts fuel supply comes from Port Augusta. So when they order fuel for the filling station, hotels or power station, a road trail will load three trailers of fuel in Port Augusta and drive almost 1,500 Kilometers to the resort and then drive back empty. An almost 3,000 round trip.
I just checked the resorts web site and while I agree that while the prices for hotels, attractions and side trip are not cheap, they are all clearly marked so there is little excuse for a visitor to make the long trip to 'The Rock', without knowing what sort of costs to expect.
yup, know all of this - I worked in the management office so had exposure to financials etc.., It does cost a lot to truck it all in (and out) however, there is a massive profit margin... no getting away from that. It's still a magical amazing place I recommend everyone experiences at least once in their life.

I still would not swap the nearly 3.5 years I worked there for anything. Still have wonderful memories and great close friendships for life. Ups and downs of course as you would expect (and you know what I mean about living/working in same place and having no escape from tourists!) but overall a great experience.

Anyway, back on track hope you enjoy yourself OP, I'm sure you will! keep an eye out for camels on the roads, especially when it draws closely to dusk.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

That;s the reasoning that I would never want to climb it; I wouldn't climb on the stones at Stonehenge either - they are both sacred to certain people.
Must have been fantastic to work out there - and I can imagine there must be so many spirits and eerie occurrences in thee area.....great experience!
I will have to find a photo that I took at a BBQ and scan it in.... say what you will but there is definitely 'something' in the trees looking at us.. I have to hide the photo it freaks me that much but can't get rid of it as it has loads of good friends in it and such great memories.

Plus the time I was dragged out of bed by my legs.... by no-one. Yes, of course it could have been me moving down the bed in my sleep but I was literally off the edge of the bed still all tucked in and had the intense strong feeling of two hands on my legs ... makes me sound completely off my rocker so I don't mention it much!!!