Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Road Tax and M.O.T

Road Tax and M.O.T

Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:32 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road
Default Road Tax and M.O.T

Does does running a car in oz cost as much as the uk?
I know that fuel is cheaper but what about MOT's and road tax?
Is it the same system there?

Scotpandj
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:34 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Road Tax and M.O.T

Originally posted by scotpandj
Does does running a car in oz cost as much as the uk?
I know that fuel is cheaper but what about MOT's and road tax?
Is it the same system there?

Scotpandj
Road tax or "Rego" over here is just over $500 a year, no MOT needed unless you let the Rego run out & you might need to get a road worthy which is similar.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:37 pm
PommieLeague

And theres the blasted stamp duty on cars when you buy one!

Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:38 pm
Just Startin'

So you dont need an MOT regardless of how old the car is
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Nope & Cars seem to last longer, maybe something to do with no salt on icy roads.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

As I understand it (and I don't live in Aus so please correct me if I'm wrong)
If you sell the car it should have a roadworthy and if the rego lapses and you have to apply again you need one.
Otherwise as long as you keep the car you don't need a "MOT" every year.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:47 pm
Just Startin'

The replies are always so quick on here. Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:54 pm
The Godfather

Originally posted by Stewie
If you sell the car it should have a roadworthy and if the rego lapses and you have to apply again you need one.
Spot on.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The replies are always so quick on here. Thanks
Cheaper.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Stewie
Correct in some States
Incorrect in other States

NSW has an annual rego check (MOT) Pink Slip

QLD is as stated above.

Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

This really depends on which state you are in. NSW operate something similar to the MOT, in that you need to get a basic safety test each year, (initial registration in NSW, for instance if you move there from another state) has a much stricter test .

QLD and ACT definitely also require a safety inspection when you first register the car in the State (talking about used cars here), however, an annual test is not required.

ACT however operates a scheme in which inspectors wander round car parks, and operate mobile vehicle checks. If they find even the slightest defect (not enough tread on a tyre, wiper blade hanging off), you will get a defect notice, and then you need to take the car to a local testing station, where it will get the full MOT check.

The real bummer to this approach is often the mobile inspectors/cops will pull over younger drivers, and really look for a defect.

By the way, getting a car in Australia is a real pain if you are likely to move interstate. The 2nd hand car I bought 2 and a half years ago is currently on its 4th set of number plates! (NSW-ACT-NSW-QLD)
Old Aug 5th 2004, 1:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

WA has no MOT or equivalent and you don't need any kind of roadworthy certificate when you sell the car.

You ought to see the wrecks on the road out here. Mine included. :scared:
Old Aug 5th 2004, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MoT and road tax

Most States don't have an MoT.
NSW has, from what I hear.
If you take a car interstate and want to "register" the vehicle there, they will do a vehicle saftey check over the pits and also check the engine / chassis no. to make sure it's not a stolen vehicle trying to be registered in another part of Australia from where it was pinched!
Registration is a yearly exercise. It is motor tax and incurance all in one.
The legal minimum you need to drive a vehicle on Australian roads is to have motor tax AND 3rd party BODILY insurance, in case you clean anyone up in your car. It insures the other people against injury and also covers you and all passengers in your vehicle.
Cost is $593 a year in South Australia for a 4 cylinder car. About $50 a year more for a 6 cylinder and $100 for an 8 cylinder.
If you want 3rd party PROPERTY insurance, you have to insure privately. I tell my kids that if they can't afford at least 3rd party property, they certainly CAN'T afford to be on the roads. What if they push a $400,000 bus off the road???? Or a Porsche?? Cost of my 4 cylinder is $106 a year.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Correct in some States
Incorrect in other States

NSW has an annual rego check (MOT) Pink Slip

QLD is as stated above.
Thanks

Living in England we forget that the law can be different from state to state.

Sometimes when someone tells me how it is in Melbourne, I tend to think that's how it is in Australia.

Must remember in future that's not always the case.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

The car has got to be roadworthy though.

(In Victoria at least ) if you're pulled over by the police and they deem it's not, you get a canary.

But they seem to target those going up and down Chapel St.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.