Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Road Side Camping

Road Side Camping

Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road Side Camping

Is it done? Would you do it with a family?

We are looking at doing a few long drives soon and would like to take it easy and do some sight seeing along the way. The best way seems to stop overnight here and there but we aren't sure if we need to use pucker camp sites or if there is an alternative? We aren't looking for luxury as its just a night here and there.

Any pointers how to find safe spots along the way if non camp site camping is ok? Are they marked on maps? (now how lazy is that - I could just get a map out and look...)

Safin
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:13 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Road Side Camping

Never done it myself, but my mate at work has, he just told me to pull well off away from the road. Get away from anyone passing that might take a liking to your things, and also well away in case someone else swerves off the road.

He's done Perth to Sydney and back about 5 times.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Safin

We are looking at doing a few long drives soon and would like to take it easy and do some sight seeing along the way. The best way seems to stop overnight here and there but we aren't sure if we need to use pucker camp sites or if there is an alternative? We aren't looking for luxury as its just a night here and there.

Any pointers how to find safe spots along the way if non camp site camping is ok? Are they marked on maps? (now how lazy is that - I could just get a map out and look...)

Safin
road side in a tent is not recomended,Buy a camping guide for the state your in, surprising how many cheap camp sites there are along the way.Far more caution is needed if travelling in the north and far inland
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:21 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of local councils don't allow roadside camping, however if your on a highway & feel the need to pull over for a few hours kip then there's very little anyone can do to move you on.
There are loads of free camp sites that the growing band of grey nomads use in their migrations North & South. There are lists available of places that are recommended by this frugal band of campers.
There's one just as you hit Gympie from the South & another at the "Duckponds" about 5 k North of Gympie. Plus one called Petrie Park up in Tiaro, they are the ones local to us.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

I'll do some grey nomad searching - might not be there on age but Loreal is the only thing that stops me looking that way!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Safin
I'd go with the campsite option to stay safe. They are usually only $20 a night, so you really won't be saving much money by camping on the side of the road.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:08 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I'd go with the campsite option to stay safe. They are usually only $20 a night, so you really won't be saving much money by camping on the side of the road.
I put up my little one man tent in the campsite at 1770 on my way down south. I felt like I was building a bungalow in the centre of New York.

My view of camping is that it should be based around what you can carry on your back. The Australian view of camping seem to be based around what you can fit into five family cars all towing trailers.

Some of the rest areas allow free camping. There is a book you can get which gives advice on budget and free camping in the road trip mode. I saw it in BCF and now regret not buying it. Might be worth checking out.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:10 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Safin
You need to get this book...

Camps 4

List all the free and low cost sites everywhere... lets you look up things like pet friendly, etc...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:44 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We free camped when we travelled around Oz wiht our 2 children.. we used the Camp 4 book.. the main rule of thumb (and we met other travellers who said the same) was that if no-one was in the freecamp, then give it a wide berth..

I would say that some wouldnt be suitable for tents, but majority are.. we were in a motorhome so it was dead easy for us (setting up camp was pulling the handbrake up and switching on the gas bottle ! )

The more I travelled the more people I met who were twitchy about staying at free-camps.. my personal experience is that they were fine.. use your common sense and you'll be fine..

Also in the Camps 4 book are the cheaper campsite (usually council owned by my experience) which are handy.. only about $17 or so for a night.. can't complain at that.. and when you are feeling flush and want some posh, go for a Big4 park...

Have fun!

Em x
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Safin
Just been down in Victoria etc in Vic, in the more remote parts, there are areas marked on the map ( green or blue tree - cant remember now ) where you can pull over for up to 24 hours. Most had filthy (stinking!!!) loos with graffiti that made the kids eyes water We didnt use them apart from loo breaks but i guess some people do.

Found proper camp sites despite it being New yr break, from $15 on Berry showgrounds think all the doggy doo was why it was so cheap and $58 at healsville where a snooty lady accused us of people smuggling and not paying for extra people, despite having paid for 4.

Great fun, but be careful driving at night, we had a complete terrorist of a truck driver try to run us off road, assorted wildlife to dodge, from womats to kangaroos, and some very scary fog on a mountain type windy road, wouldnt usually drive at night but our campervan rental was stuffed up so had time limit.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:21 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just been down in Victoria etc in Vic, in the more remote parts, there are areas marked on the map ( green or blue tree - cant remember now ) where you can pull over for up to 24 hours. Most had filthy (stinking!!!) loos with graffiti that made the kids eyes water We didnt use them apart from loo breaks but i guess some people do.

Found proper camp sites despite it being New yr break, from $15 on Berry showgrounds think all the doggy doo was why it was so cheap and $58 at healsville where a snooty lady accused us of people smuggling and not paying for extra people, despite having paid for 4.

Great fun, but be careful driving at night, we had a complete terrorist of a truck driver try to run us off road, assorted wildlife to dodge, from womats to kangaroos, and some very scary fog on a mountain type windy road, wouldnt usually drive at night but our campervan rental was stuffed up so had time limit.
You can buy chemical loos now for about $129 as well as heated showers gas/battery(car) operated.

NB: For novice campers a bit nervous about trying out roadside why not tie up with a few other families and travel via a convoy?

If it was me though I would heed previous advice and pay the $20 and stay at campsite (mainly to use their hotwater and gas/electricity
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Do yourself a favour and don't bother driving at night.. pull over at about 4pmish and set up camp with a beer (or a cuppa)..

Em x
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
set up camp with a beer

Even better than that, set up camp with a couple of cartons of beer.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:42 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Safin
As others have mentioned invest in a camping guide book. If you go into a RACV office they have plenty available IIRC.