RNLI

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:58 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default RNLI

I went down to Poole (Dorset) at the weekend to the RNLI (lifeboats) open weekend, as my sister works there at their HQ and thought it would be fun.

It was really interesting, we saw some lifeboat demos and displays, got to have a look around one and had some crew show us how it all works inside etc. And we went to the survival centre where they put a lifeboat in a big pool, start up a big wave machine, black out all the lights, create fake strong wind to blow at them, have helicopter noises and lightning to create an extreme situation and then the crew had to capasize the boat and then get it back upright again safely. It was really quite dramatic (actually quite scary) but really interesting.

Anyway, I learnt a lot about the RNLI and had a great time. But it made me wonder - do they have the same thing in Australia?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RNLI

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Anyway, I learnt a lot about the RNLI and had a great time. But it made me wonder - do they have the same thing in Australia?
Nothing exactly like the RNLI charity, no. There's the navy which do the heavy-duty off-shore rescues. Then there's the Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) which does a similar job to the RNLI but isn't nearly as well equipped. And then there's the surf clubs, which do in-shore and beach rescues.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:12 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nothing exactly like the RNLI charity, no. There's the navy which do the heavy-duty off-shore rescues. Then there's the Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) which does a similar job to the RNLI but isn't nearly as well equipped. And then there's the surf clubs, which do in-shore and beach rescues.
Thanks Hutch. I didn't think I'd heard of anything there that was quite the same thing. The RNLI really impressed me.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Thanks Hutch. I didn't think I'd heard of anything there that was quite the same thing. The RNLI really impressed me.
Yea, they're an amazing organisation. When I lived in England, it was one of my long-term plans to move to the coast somewhere in the southwest and get involved in the RNLI. Now I live here I'm in the surf lifesaving club. I seem to recall that Moneypen volunteers for her local VMR station, manning the radios.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:50 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Yea, they're an amazing organisation. When I lived in England, it was one of my long-term plans to move to the coast somewhere in the southwest and get involved in the RNLI. Now I live here I'm in the surf lifesaving club. I seem to recall that Moneypen volunteers for her local VMR station, manning the radios.
When we were going to move to Devon (before deciding to move to Australia instead) my OH was going to get involved, and I'd have thought about it too. They do a great job, and you never know when you're going to need them. We're moving to Brisbane though, and I wonder if we can get involved in something like that - what with there not really being a beach in Brissie and all. But we'll see. It was certinaly interesting talking to RNLI volunteer crews from all over the country.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Quite fancy getting involved in the SES side of things when I get there. As long as I haven't got to get my feet wet
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:01 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Quite fancy getting involved in the SES side of things when I get there. As long as I haven't got to get my feet wet
Before moving to England I was a volunteer lifeguard on my local beach ( for about 4 years) and would recommend doing something like that to anyone! If you more into buch/playing with fire then join the local Rural Fire Service, if you like playing with road accident victoms and searching for lost English tourists then join the SES, if you like rescuing idiots over and over again from ocean rips then join your local surf club!

It was bloody hard work and you had to be fit (re-qual every year for your bronze medallion) but the surf club was fantastic - I met lots of great people and had something to do on lazy sunny sundays - and what could be better then going to 'work' to sit on the beach for a few hours! It was a really family affair with everyone from 8 year old 'nippers' throught to grandparents all doign their own little bit to help out!

There were a few scary moments (getting into the sea when the surf is big to go rescue someone isn't always fun - despite Home and Away I never seemed to ever rescue young blonde's in bikini's!!!)

It really was great though and would recommend that anyone who wants to do it signs up!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteer Marine Rescue are definitely not in the same league as the RNLI unfortunately but they do great stuff and rescue a fair few people every year. I am a Radio Operator for the local branch - There are four stations on the Gold Coast and many more spread around the country.

http://www.vmraq.org.au is the link to the Queensland arm.

Some stations are manned 24/7 others like mine just do 4:30 am to 12:30 pm. Anyone who has a boat and who takes it out should register with their local VMR, they should also have a radio and each time they leave the creek, river etc and head out to sea they should call in and let us know who they are, how many people on board, mobile number, where they are headed and when they plan to come back. That way if there is any problem we know where to send the rescue boat. I've only been doing it since the end of last year but a few times I have people not come back when they said they would, most of the time they have lost track of time but there has been occasion when there has been a problem and it's been damned handy for them to have us there.

Many boaties don't bother and all we can do is mark off that a boat has gone out and mark again when one comes in, at the end of the shift if there are any odd numbers, I check the ocean to see how many are out fishing. It's more of a community neighbourly thing really - in much the same way you tell someone close when you go out. This has the added benefit of saving their lives when something goes pearshaped.

We have regular contact with the water police, normal police, coast guard etc.

Each station has regular open days with the obligatory sausage sizzle and other general fund raisers - we get no money from government. They do pretend rescues etc.

I spend four hours one day a week in my radio room watching the creek and ocean and chatting to boaties. This webcam is mounted on my building http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c...1600&state=QLD
It's a good way of getting into the community and also doing something worthwhile if you're not working or only working part time.

If anyone want to register their boat, become a member, join a crew or become a radio operator, or even just give a bit of money, look your local one up in the phone book and give them a ring. Every station is always after new members and are very friendly.

I can think of worse ways of spending a few hours
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:51 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Volunteer Marine Rescue are definitely not in the same league as the RNLI unfortunately but they do great stuff and rescue a fair few people every year. I am a Radio Operator for the local branch - There are four stations on the Gold Coast and many more spread around the country.

Some stations are manned 24/7 others like mine just do 4:30 am to 12:30 pm. Anyone who has a boat and who takes it out should register with their local VMR, they should also have a radio and each time they leave the creek, river etc and head out to sea they should call in and let us know who they are, how many people on board, mobile number, where they are headed and when they plan to come back. That way if there is any problem we know where to send the rescue boat. I've only been doing it since the end of last year but a few times I have people not come back when they said they would, most of the time they have lost track of time but there has been occasion when there has been a problem and it's been damned handy for them to have us there.

Many boaties don't bother and all we can do is mark off that a boat has gone out and mark again when one comes in, at the end of the shift if there are any odd numbers, I check the ocean to see how many are out fishing. It's more of a community neighbourly thing really - in much the same way you tell someone close when you go out. This has the added benefit of saving their lives when something goes pearshaped.

Each station has regular open days with the obligatory sausage sizzle and other general fund raisers - we get no money from government. They do pretend rescues etc.

I spend four hours one day a week in my radio room watching the creek and ocean and chatting to boaties. This webcam is mounted on my building http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c...1600&state=QLD
It's a good way of getting into the community and also doing something worthwhile if you're not working or only working part time.

If anyone want to register their boat, become a member, join a crew or become a radio operator, or even just give a bit of money, look your local one up in the phone book and give them a ring. Every station is always after new members and are very friendly.

That sounds great Moneypen, thanks for posting. I'd definitely like to get involved in something like that when we move over. Like you said, it's good to do your bit for things like this, but also a good way to meet people and feel part of the community.

Well done you for actually doing it
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Hi it's good to know these things exist.
I've been a volunteer crewman for and independant lifeboat for 12 years now. Independant lifeboats are the same as RNLI exept there is usualy only one station rather than hundreds.(you can google independant lifeboats UK to find out more).
I would love to keep doing it when I get to Aus. so it would be good to know what there is in Perth. Saying thet I will probably have to wait a few months until I get settled.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=moneypen20;5093740]
This webcam is mounted on my building http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/c...1600&state=QLD

Great link for the webcam, thankyou.

Johnnyyt
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by BallochBiddy
Hi it's good to know these things exist.
I've been a volunteer crewman for and independant lifeboat for 12 years now. Independant lifeboats are the same as RNLI exept there is usualy only one station rather than hundreds.(you can google independant lifeboats UK to find out more).
I would love to keep doing it when I get to Aus. so it would be good to know what there is in Perth. Saying thet I will probably have to wait a few months until I get settled.
Sounds like VMR would probably be the way to go for you, for the off-shore stuff. Our local VMR have a rescue boat, manned voluntarily of course. I'm a surf lifesaver for my local club, currently doing my in-shore rescue boat courses so I can drive the boat when spring comes. Much more exciting, but not everyone's cup of tea.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Sounds like VMR would probably be the way to go for you, for the off-shore stuff. Our local VMR have a rescue boat, manned voluntarily of course. I'm a surf lifesaver for my local club, currently doing my in-shore rescue boat courses so I can drive the boat when spring comes. Much more exciting, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks for the info Hutch. I'm not off-shore though, we have a 22ft Halmatic RIB with twin 115hp engines.
Is it RYA powerboat courses you are doing?, as I have heard that they are now the accepted qualification in Aus.
I'm a powerboat instructor so if you use RYA qualifications hopefully I will be able to do a similar roll as a training officer.

As for more excitingyour spot on. There's nothing better than doing 50mph on the water. Although at night and in rough weather it can be a good laxative.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK