Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RN should I get a job before I go or when I get there???

RN should I get a job before I go or when I get there???

Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice
Wink RN should I get a job before I go or when I get there???

Evening!
I am hoping for some advice from any nurses that have got jobs before arriving in Oz. I have been out there before and got my own work sorted on arrival - initially through agencies but then permanent.
I am wondering what the pros and cons are or getting a job before we go - obviously there is the possible relocation bonus of up to $3K in the pros but are the cons high?
I have been looking at all the recruitment companies and also looked at ramsayhealthcare to apply direct (I worked in St. George Private, Kogarah before) and really don't know what to do.......
I am wondering if the immediate employment would be better for my situation - my husband, me and 2 small daughters relocating - or if you get locked into a contract without physically meeting bosses etc and it is horrible
Any help at all from anyone who has been there, done that very gratefully received!!!!!
Thanks, Emma
P.S. We are moving to the Bulli / Thirroul area this time next year
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:14 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RN should I get a job before I go or when I get there???

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Evening!
I am hoping for some advice from any nurses that have got jobs before arriving in Oz. I have been out there before and got my own work sorted on arrival - initially through agencies but then permanent.
I am wondering what the pros and cons are or getting a job before we go - obviously there is the possible relocation bonus of up to $3K in the pros but are the cons high?
I have been looking at all the recruitment companies and also looked at ramsayhealthcare to apply direct (I worked in St. George Private, Kogarah before) and really don't know what to do.......
I am wondering if the immediate employment would be better for my situation - my husband, me and 2 small daughters relocating - or if you get locked into a contract without physically meeting bosses etc and it is horrible
Any help at all from anyone who has been there, done that very gratefully received!!!!!
Thanks, Emma
P.S. We are moving to the Bulli / Thirroul area this time next year
I'm not a nurse but am going on a sponsorship deal in a health job. There are so many nurse vacancies in Oz I dont think you'll have trouble finding something either before or after. Do you have a visa? What type of visa you hoping to go on? I guess that will be a big factor in deciding what to do?

I'm hoping to end up in Thirroul eventually as thats where my sister is. I love that part of the coast - see you down The Heritage!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: RN should I get a job before I go or when I get there???

I'd wait till you get here. You might not like the NUM etc if you are on a sponsorship contract, and then you are stuck there. You'll get a job pretty quickly. Only downside is you'll have to sort out your registration yourself, which will mean some form-filling that the agency would otherwise take care of.