RN to RAN

Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:16 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default RN to RAN

Ok, Mr Gobbyjock has now decided that rather than leaving the RN after his 22 years is up (07) and emigrating to Oz as an electrician, that it may be better to join RAN Is there anyone out there who has done this - if so can they tell me how long the process takes are there married quarters out there etc??
PS MR Gobbyjock if you are reading this I hope you get bloody seasick!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: RN to RAN

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Ok, Mr Gobbyjock has now decided that rather than leaving the RN after his 22 years is up (07) and emigrating to Oz as an electrician, that it may be better to join RAN Is there anyone out there who has done this - if so can they tell me how long the process takes are there married quarters out there etc??

Don't know anything about the RAN, but you shouldn't wish the man in your life ill health!!! lol you promised ... in sickness and in health!!

Chris
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll have to see whether they need people in his trade first. My hubby put in an application about 2 years ago but was told that they didn't have any vacancies and to re-apply a year later. Have now gone the Skilled Independent route instead....
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:16 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
You'll have to see whether they need people in his trade first. My hubby put in an application about 2 years ago but was told that they didn't have any vacancies and to re-apply a year later. Have now gone the Skilled Independent route instead....
Apparently he has heard that they are short of his trade, so I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when he gets home in April Ok I know what will happen when he gets home but after that I mean
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:38 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Apparently he has heard that they are short of his trade, so I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when he gets home in April Ok I know what will happen when he gets home but after that I mean
I tried the same but for the RAAF, my contacts told me they were desperate for trained personnel but unfortunately the Defence Department only has a few vacancies each year and all vacancies filled. If there were vacancies the process can be lengthy and I have heard that the Oz forces will make good use of Brits coming across especially on detachments to overseas locations, if you get my meaning. It may be worth getting a contact in the Oz public service and try getting them to do the sponsoring, that way you get over and still be a civilian.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

biscuit63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs G,

I am currently in the Brit Army and in the process of transferring to the Aus Army later this year. I'm afraid I don't know what vacancies the RAN have but it is true to say that they are only allowed around about 45 overseas transfers a year, this is based on an allotment placed on them by the Immigration Dept under the Labour Agreement rules, which is what they use to recruit under. They also use the ENS scheme but I don't know how many/if they have quotas for this.

The word 'overseas transfer' is mis-leading as you don't 'transfer' but leave one force and re-join the other; it is not a direct cross over. The Army have specific vacancies and specific rank levels, most people including Officers have to drop at least one rank and maybe two, although there is the odd exception. It can take 2 years from applying to complete the process, remembering they are capped on the number they can take. I have heard, unconfirmed, that for every 30 applying 1 gets in!

As for MQ's etc, they have roughly they same benefits and allowances as the Brit Forces and are roughly modelled on the way we do business.
this link may help - http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/career.../NavyMain.html

Regards

Biscuit63
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:50 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

cant help exactly with your question but within our SPO (ANZAC) we have an RN exchange liaison officer + Sub SPO has a canadian. All 8 SPO's have of course NZ ELO's. There are also a couple of american ELO's

Most of the ELO's are ET's or MT's. A couple are SU's

Dont know exactly if this is something Mr Gobbyjock (great name BTW) would be interested in or eligible for but if it came off would let you live in OZ for 18 months without commiting and then you could decide on the permanent thing.

I know with our SPO and a couple of the others there are Brits that have transferred but they have all been over here for 5-10 years. If you want I can ask them for more info

PM me if you want. I should be able to ask my collegues questions for you at least.

M
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:25 pm
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
cant help exactly with your question but within our SPO (ANZAC) we have an RN exchange liaison officer + Sub SPO has a canadian. All 8 SPO's have of course NZ ELO's. There are also a couple of american ELO's

Most of the ELO's are ET's or MT's. A couple are SU's

Dont know exactly if this is something Mr Gobbyjock (great name BTW) would be interested in or eligible for but if it came off would let you live in OZ for 18 months without commiting and then you could decide on the permanent thing.

I know with our SPO and a couple of the others there are Brits that have transferred but they have all been over here for 5-10 years. If you want I can ask them for more info

PM me if you want. I should be able to ask my collegues questions for you at least.

M
Hi there thanks for that - I will email Mr Gobbyjock tonight and let him know. Thank you everyone for the info it`s been useful .
Old Feb 21st 2005, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

I am a former CRS in the RN who served for 24 years and am now in the RAN.
I applied to join the RAN whilst I was still serving in the RN and the process took all in about 6 months. Very easy. I am currently in Perth and you will be surprised about the number of ex RN's you come across in the RAN. The RAN recruits up to the age of 49 and if your husband joins will be offered a contract of 6 years with the option to leave after 3 years service. If you apply and are accepted the RAN will offer you business sponsorship when you apply for your visa and the process is very easy. We applied in April 02 and after I was accepted I submitted my 12 months notice to leave the RN and arrived in Australia Septmeber 03. The RAN paid for everything, flights, visa charges, doctors bills etc etc. We were picked up at the airport and they had arranged a house for us near the base. A serving member will help you in the first weeks to get the kids into schools, apply for medicare cards, tax file numbers, citizenship and all the red tape needed when you first arrive. If your husband applies now and states his discharge date from the RN the RAN takes all that into account and are prepared to wait for his discharge, but they will do everything in the meantime so that usually the day after he leaves the RN you all go to Australia House and he signs to join the RAN. We did and we flew out that day. I will give my details to you if you reply and and can give you all the info that you may need.

Regards

Terry (ex RN/now RAN)