Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Risk of DVT when flying to Oz after operation

Risk of DVT when flying to Oz after operation

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Risk of DVT when flying to Oz after operation

Here I was feeling really pleased that my hubbie has got a date for his knee athroscopy operation before we leave for Oz, but now someone has just scared me by suggesting that my OH might not be able to fly due to the risk of DVT after an operation.

Help! Has anyone flown to Oz or other long haul destination 3 weeks after an op?

My hubbie is having keyhole knee athroscopy on 11th March, which is 3 weeks before we fly to Oz on 2nd April. The op is to repair a damaged cruiate ligament (sorry about the spelling) from a football injury.

It is keyhole day surgery and he is a fit 38 year old. He has been told he should be able to put weight on it immediately, although he will need to rest it as much as possible.

The flights are non refundable and non changeable (I know, I'm stoopid) so we really need him to fly on 2nd April.

Advice please.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Risk of DVT when flying to Oz after operation

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Here I was feeling really pleased that my hubbie has got a date for his knee athroscopy operation before we leave for Oz, but now someone has just scared me by suggesting that my OH might not be able to fly due to the risk of DVT after an operation.

Help! Has anyone flown to Oz or other long haul destination 3 weeks after an op?

My hubbie is having keyhole knee athroscopy on 11th March, which is 3 weeks before we fly to Oz on 2nd April. The op is to repair a damaged cruiate ligament (sorry about the spelling) from a football injury.

It is keyhole day surgery and he is a fit 38 year old. He has been told he should be able to put weight on it immediately, although he will need to rest it as much as possible.

The flights are non refundable and non changeable (I know, I'm stoopid) so we really need him to fly on 2nd April.

Advice please.

It is a risk.....one that the airline and your insurance company may not be prepared to take.

Best talk to them and his Consultant.

Usually they will accept a medical opinion but you also need to decide if it is, personally, worth the risk.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Advice please.
We flew London-Adelaide straight through in 2007 about 3-4 weeks after SWMBO had an operation under general anaesthetic with no problems. Neither the surgeon or anaesthetist thought it'd be a problem and SWMBO is still being obeyed.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys.

Steve - what is SWMBO?!!!! Sorry, I'm a bit slow!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Steve - what is SWMBO?!!!! Sorry, I'm a bit slow!
She who must be obeyed

check with his consultant.....better to be safe than sorry.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Advice please.
I'm interested in this one. I am hoping to fly back to the UK after having a c-section. 7 weeks post surgery. I did mention this to the ob and he didn't say anything. I think I had better push for more information. I know they say keep moving but I can't imagine that I will get to sit down for long with a 4 year old, 3 year old and a new born on the flight!!!

All I can think of at the moment is spanners and works.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OP - hubby is possibly at a slightly increased risk of DVT...minor operation. I'd bet my life that your consultant will say you have almost the same risk as the general male public.

Post c-section lady is at a much higher risk of DVT...major (abdominal) surgery = increased risk of DVT. However, I suspect that this risk is lower than when you are/were pregnant.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OP - hubby is possibly at a slightly increased risk of DVT...minor operation. I'd bet my life that your consultant will say you have almost the same risk as the general male public.

Post c-section lady is at a much higher risk of DVT...major (abdominal) surgery = increased risk of DVT. However, I suspect that this risk is lower than when you are/were pregnant.
Thanks for your reply Ozzidoc. Do you know if there is anything one can do pre-surgery / c-section to speed up recovery, specifically from a DVT flying point of view. I am trying to stay as fit as possible with this pregnancy compared to my last 2 in the hope that the recovery might be better generally. I'm guessing DVT is not something you can really control before hand.

A friend had also mentioned the abdominal surgery increases the risk. I am starting to worry that flying back so soon might be too risky. There is a window of opportunity that if work comes up for hubby this will be our only travel dates and for financial reasons we are forced to travel at this time because the fares would then be covered by the work. We've got very cheap flights and can cancel if the work doesn't happen. It's going to be a tricky decision because it might be another year or so before we get back otherwise.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Thanks for your reply Ozzidoc. Do you know if there is anything one can do pre-surgery / c-section to speed up recovery, specifically from a DVT flying point of view. I am trying to stay as fit as possible with this pregnancy compared to my last 2 in the hope that the recovery might be better generally. I'm guessing DVT is not something you can really control before hand.

A friend had also mentioned the abdominal surgery increases the risk. I am starting to worry that flying back so soon might be too risky. There is a window of opportunity that if work comes up for hubby this will be our only travel dates and for financial reasons we are forced to travel at this time because the fares would then be covered by the work. We've got very cheap flights and can cancel if the work doesn't happen. It's going to be a tricky decision because it might be another year or so before we get back otherwise.
Ozzio will know better than I but there is an injection that can be given to people who are at risk of DVT before flying.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Grayling - we will definitely check with hubbies consultant.
Jerseygirl, thanks for mentioning this injection, I am interested to know more....anyone know?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Grayling - we will definitely check with hubbies consultant.
Jerseygirl, thanks for mentioning this injection, I am interested to know more....anyone know?
My MIL has had DVT therefore she gets the injection before she flies.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Sub-cutaneous(just under surface of skin) injection of anti-coagulant like "clexane"(SA name not sure what it would be called in UK).Also DVT stockings which you should be able to get from one of your larger chemists or hospital supplies.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Also a good idea to drink lots of water,avoid alcohol and get up and stretch often so that blood does not stagnate in the lower limbs.The danger is when you have been static for a long time then make a sudden move.Good luck,hope this helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirlw
Sub-cutaneous(just under surface of skin) injection of anti-coagulant like "clexane"(SA name not sure what it would be called in UK).Also DVT stockings which you should be able to get from one of your larger chemists or hospital supplies.
Tinzaparin.

Stockings need to go all the way up to the top of the legs.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks shirlw and Ozziedoc.

My hubbie is going to mention the Tinzaparin injection to his consultant but I suspect the NHS will be reluctant to give it unless they consider him a high risk of DVT, which is fair enough.

Good tip about the stockings needing to go all the way up to the top of the legs - does anyone in the UK have any ideas of where to get these as the ones sold in Boots and other shops usually only go up to the knees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.