Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ripped off again!!!!!!!!!!

Ripped off again!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

gotthevisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ripped off again!!!!!!!!!!

Do australians that have this in built desire to rip everybody off?

Just about every single thing i've bought since I arrived here has had some sort of "hidden" cost. TVs being supplied without aerial cables, £30 delivery fees for ANYTHING you buy - regardless of price, technicians fitting things in your home and adding on for parts that were supposed to be supplied as part of the unit, people shaking hands on a deal then saying they misheard the agreed price and want more, and the best one of all ................ shops advertising things for sale at eg $2.97 and then saying "that'll be $3.00 please".

I thought at first it was my pommie accent, but it seems not, it evens happens to australian friends.

What is it with this country, what are australian trading standards doing???????????????
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

shops advertising things for sale at eg $2.97 and then saying "that'll be $3.00 please".
This is a lovely little invention called "rounding up" or "rounding down". Cos Aussies didn't like having 1 and 2cent coins, prices are rounded to the nearest 5 cents, up or down. But - and I only found this out the other day - thats only if you pay cash. Apparently if you pay with EFTPOS then you pay the actual price, down to the exact cent.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so bad, some you lose, some you win.

Whisky
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think it does even out overall.