Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rip-off or what...!?

Rip-off or what...!?

Old Mar 5th 2004, 2:59 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Unhappy Rip-off or what...!?

The stuff we have had shipped over from the UK has been in Melbourne for nearly three weeks now. I phoned the folk who are handling it at this end last Tuesday to find out what was happening and was told it still had to go through quarantine. Fine. Today, I got a letter saying the quarantine blokes (maybe ladies who knows) steam cleaned the OUTSIDE of the container and so now we have to pay more money before they release our stuff. We've already paid $330 and now this new charge is $82.40

How can they charge us for cleaning the outside of the stupid container that's been sitting in the port for 2+ weeks!!!!!!! Nevermind rip-off Britain.......

Anyone else had to pay this ridiculous charge? Are they likely to ask for even more money next week when they actually look at our stuff? And if so....what was the $330 dollars that we forked out for?

Anyway, can't be bothered to fight so have rung up and paid so we can get our stuff asap. Our second baby is due in 23 days time, but some complications mean my wife might be in hospital in two weeks having the baby at the same time as the stuff arrives. Handy.

Just having a moan. Moving countries certainly is stressful.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:03 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rip-off or what...!?

Originally posted by banjo
The stuff we have had shipped over from the UK has been in Melbourne for nearly three weeks now. I phoned the folk who are handling it at this end last Tuesday to find out what was happening and was told it still had to go through quarantine. Fine. Today, I got a letter saying the quarantine blokes (maybe ladies who knows) steam cleaned the OUTSIDE of the container and so now we have to pay more money before they release our stuff. We've already paid $330 and now this new charge is $82.40

How can they charge us for cleaning the outside of the stupid container that's been sitting in the port for 2+ weeks!!!!!!! Nevermind rip-off Britain.......

Anyone else had to pay this ridiculous charge? Are they likely to ask for even more money next week when they actually look at our stuff? And if so....what was the $330 dollars that we forked out for?

Anyway, can't be bothered to fight so have rung up and paid so we can get our stuff asap. Our second baby is due in 23 days time, but some complications mean my wife might be in hospital in two weeks having the baby at the same time as the stuff arrives. Handy.

Just having a moan. Moving countries certainly is stressful.
Same thing happened to us, except it cost a lot more to have it cleaned. Basically, because quarantine ordered the cleaning, it counts as a quarantine charge! If you don't pay it, you won't get your stuff, so you can't fight it.

Jane
Old Mar 5th 2004, 3:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its probably to help pay for there long weekend in Melbourne Jim, I mean with Moomba, F1 Grand Prix , Footy & labour day holiday this weekend they need some Beer money.