Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rip Off OZ Again.

Rip Off OZ Again.

Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Rip Off OZ Again.

Selling a house. Standard comission on the sale of a ordinary house $505,000 equals $14382.50. comission for the agent. Considering it took him one hour to sell the house to the first buyer he had not bad going. Oh and if we had needed advertising guess who would foot the bill, the seller!

Thats standard reiq comission 5% of the first $18,000 2.5% of the rest then add 10% GST to the whole lot.

Job in realestate anyone

So how much am I going to be slugged if I sell in UKers or should I not ask :scared:
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

In process of selling ours at the mo, under Halifax estate agents. They quoted me 1.5% plus vat, but got them down to 1.25% plus vat.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:49 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rip Off OZ Again.

Originally posted by dotty
Selling a house. Standard comission on the sale of a ordinary house $505,000 equals $14382.50. comission for the agent. Considering it took him one hour to sell the house to the first buyer he had not bad going. Oh and if we had needed advertising guess who would foot the bill, the seller!

Thats standard reiq comission 5% of the first $18,000 2.5% of the rest then add 10% GST to the whole lot.

Job in realestate anyone

So how much am I going to be slugged if I sell in UKers or should I not ask :scared:
It cost me £825 all in to sell my house for £73,000 in the UK. It's a competitive market for the Estate Agents, so you can shop around and get them to price match/beat. Oz is a rip off for sure...I'm surprised anyone ever moves !!

Rich.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
It cost me £825 all in to sell my house for £73,000 in the UK. It's a competitive market for the Estate Agents, so you can shop around and get them to price match/beat. Oz is a rip off for sure...I'm surprised anyone ever moves !!

Rich.
And the great joke is, you have to be qualified in Oz (well, NSW anyway) to sell real estate! Is that:

a) so the customer receives a better service

b) we can restrict the number of real estate agents so that we can force up the cost of buying/selling

c) we have advanced mathematical abilities so that we can count up all that luverrly commission

If anyone answered a) please proceed to the section entitled "Why you should donate your life savings to me"...
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:02 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Estate Agent in Scotland is

1% of selling price
£150 for brochures whether it be 50 or 500
Free internet and all the usual crap
£200 for 4 weeks advertising in 7 papers

not bad huh

Oh and they do all the viewings for.........NOWT!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MikeStanton
And the great joke is, you have to be qualified in Oz (well, NSW anyway) to sell real estate! Is that:

a) so the customer receives a better service

b) we can restrict the number of real estate agents so that we can force up the cost of buying/selling

c) we have advanced mathematical abilities so that we can count up all that luverrly commission

If anyone answered a) please proceed to the section entitled "Why you should donate your life savings to me"...
Don't forget that Real Estate is governed by the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act. So you should be able to trust your Real Estate agent on the same level as your average Car Salesman.

Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:07 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

never mind your be in rip off Britain soon !

and no more £1 a gallon either!

all the best plum

Last edited by plumber; Mar 29th 2004 at 10:09 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plumber

all the best plum
my rose tints are for sale plum if you want them, i see far more clearly without them
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:37 pm
Next stop Gold coast

Hev's ..know what your saying it's not a holiday, when you live there......but are you saying the negatives out weigh the positives ?

all the best pulm
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

all the best plum

Slightly out of date price there Plum. Move with the times now

Uk we estimate we will do one third of the klms we need to do here and dump the need for 2 of our cars.

So far only thing that looks like costing us more is Council Tax, compared to rates.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:04 pm
Next stop Gold coast

Dream on dotty !

If you gunna live on the sunshine coast......will do a lot of miles!

all the best plum

ps petrol going up again after election!

Last edited by plumber; Mar 29th 2004 at 11:08 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:11 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dream on dotty !

If you gunna live on the sunshine coast......will do a lot of miles!

all the best plum

ps petrol going up again after election!
Petrol is up around here. Mondays (the cheapest day of the week to buy petrol) are now 93 C a litre in the cheaper stations. It was 86 C the other week.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:17 pm
Next stop Gold coast

OMG that's £1.07p a gallon ...sorry your right dot , i am out of touch!

all the best plum

Last edited by plumber; Mar 29th 2004 at 11:19 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dream on dotty !

Dont need to dream, went over in December, armed with our bills, even bought the groceries item for item. Cheaper in the UK. Running a car for example may be dearer, but not if you need half the amount of petrol or drop 2 cars.

Council tax may be double tho. That was the only shocker.

As for house prices, OZ is cheap if you compare London to Perth, but compare London to Sydney?

Its a matter of taking into account ALL factors, like adding heating in the UK, but deleting AC.

OZ is not the cheap haven it was 5 years ago. I'm just glad we are not wage earners, if I had done the comparisom on a UK wage compared to an OZ one I might have scared myself
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

all the best plum
I remember that price
It's more like £ 3.50 per gallon now though !! (at 77.4p per litre).

I'll be filling up at about 85c today, Thats about £1.60 a gallon

And just to confirm that everyone, everywhere is different, I now do much less driving distances than I did in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.