Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rip of Britain - well the High Consulate anyway

Rip of Britain - well the High Consulate anyway

Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rip of Britain - well the High Consulate anyway

So - my wife wants to renew an expired UK passport. Sent the darn thing off to the High Consulate in Canberra and her credit card was debited a couple of weeks ago.

Its quite urgent she gets her passport to travel with in a week so she calls the consulate just to ask what the time for processing is or whether or not she should panic since it might have been sent back to us but not received etc.

Do you get a phone queue or put on hold ? Nope - what you get is a choice to either call a telephone number that you will be billed $1.50 per min or you can choose to speak straight to a customer officer for a mere $7.50 which you can conveniently pay by credit card before they will answer a simple question.

And there was me thinking that I had escaped being fleeced by the UK government (and instead get fleeced by the Queensland government )

I know its not a lot, but since the passport application fee is frankly - HUGE, you would have thought that they could at least give you an idea of how long the processing time may be without charging you a couple of bucks more.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rip of Britain - well the High Consulate anyway

Cheeky bar stewards
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
So - my wife wants to renew an expired UK passport. Sent the darn thing off to the High Consulate in Canberra and her credit card was debited a couple of weeks ago.

Its quite urgent she gets her passport to travel with in a week so she calls the consulate just to ask what the time for processing is or whether or not she should panic since it might have been sent back to us but not received etc.

Do you get a phone queue or put on hold ? Nope - what you get is a choice to either call a telephone number that you will be billed $1.50 per min or you can choose to speak straight to a customer officer for a mere $7.50 which you can conveniently pay by credit card before they will answer a simple question.

And there was me thinking that I had escaped being fleeced by the UK government (and instead get fleeced by the Queensland government )

I know its not a lot, but since the passport application fee is frankly - HUGE, you would have thought that they could at least give you an idea of how long the processing time may be without charging you a couple of bucks more.
Aussie High Commission in London does the same at GBP1/min:
http://www.australia.org.uk/lhlh/contact.html

So it's 'rip off Australia' too!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I meant to renew last year & didnt, even though I had the form etc. Its now gone up from $170 to $330 - cheeky b.....ds
its meant to be 20 days to process, presume 'working' days........
good luck
x
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:16 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I meant to renew last year & didnt, even though I had the form etc. Its now gone up from $170 to $330 - cheeky b.....ds
its meant to be 20 days to process, presume 'working' days........
good luck
x
Too right its working days as they happily told me...20 working days from the date your payment is taken from your card.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Too right its working days as they happily told me...20 working days from the date your payment is taken from your card.
Bugger....thought as much. About to apply.
Have u tried begging an needed trip home kind of thing?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:10 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine took 5 weeks cost $560 in total for a adult passport and kids one plus courier fees alot of money more than double you would pay renewing it in the uk

kezx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kez81
Mine took 5 weeks cost $560 in total for a adult passport and kids one plus courier fees alot of money more than double you would pay renewing it in the uk

kezx
5 weeks.......noooooooooooooooo
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kez81

kezx
So can you renew in the Uk while being here in Queensland then?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cookster
Yes, via the high commission in canberra & a very pricy phone call to 'order' the application form
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Cant i just get a form sent over from the uk?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:19 am

you download forms from www.britaus.net that what i did.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Cookster
No you send forms to canberra what i meant is its alot cheaper renewing when you live in the uk i wish i did rather than come over with a passport that i knew would be running out in 2 years

kezx
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

My two kids passports have just ran out. So rather than have two I thought I`d just wait until we become citizens next year and just get them Ozzy ones!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Bugger....thought as much. About to apply.
Have u tried begging an needed trip home kind of thing?
Yup, she begged. They mocked in a vaguely pleasant but yet uncaring way that may only be truely mastered by someone working on a help desk.

We're just delaying our flight for a week or so until we get the darn thing back for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.