Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ringing Australia from the UK

Ringing Australia from the UK

Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ringing Australia from the UK

What is the most cost effective way of ringing Australia from the UK? I have both landline with sky and a mobile with orange.
I have been asked to contact someone about a potential job - at my earliest convienece. The best time to ring will be around 7am UK time, which by my calculations is about 4pm Sydney time.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ringing Australia from the UK

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
What is the most cost effective way of ringing Australia from the UK? I have both landline with sky and a mobile with orange.
I have been asked to contact someone about a potential job - at my earliest convienece. The best time to ring will be around 7am UK time, which by my calculations is about 4pm Sydney time.
when contacting someone about a job forget cost effective. Use a landline. If the line isn't good enough you won't get the job.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

am sure a friend had a local number they called first, then they could call international numbers at a lower rate. Just wondered if anyone knew about this sort of scheme, and its cost effectiveness.
Was thinking more along these lines than skimping on quality, hence the cost effective phrase.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
am sure a friend had a local number they called first, then they could call international numbers at a lower rate. Just wondered if anyone knew about this sort of scheme, and its cost effectiveness.
Was thinking more along these lines than skimping on quality, hence the cost effective phrase.
These are usually through dialing cards- should be available in newsagents etc.

You buy card, dial local number, enter a PIN, then follow prompts to dial internationally.
Also if you have a landline, see what offers there are attached. We have BT and I pay 5quid a month to make as many 1hr calls to overseas as I want- Australia is one of the countries and I keep up with friends this way
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

We always used budget.com

http://www.budgetcom.co.uk/index2.php?letter=A&t=letter

0.5 pence per minute to ring an Oz landline and 6p per minute to ring a mobile.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:33 am
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

We used to use this mob: http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php

1p per minute from UK to an Aussie landline

No need to sign up or register, just dial a local access number and then dial the destination.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

There's services like Call 18866 - after you sign up, you dial 18866 followed by the number you want. Current rates to Australia are 2p/min (with 5p connection). Calls within the UK only carry the connection charge.

There's a few you can sign up to where you use a short code before the number.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I second Nicktork per Telediscount. There is a connection charge but it's minimal. It really is £0.1p a minute, no catches.

I have used this site for years and will continue to do so as long as we are in UK.

For many other countries too.