Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rights lost when away from UK > 5 years ?

Rights lost when away from UK > 5 years ?

Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

mackabee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rights lost when away from UK > 5 years ?

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with this question...

We are moving over to Australia next month, and are planning to live there for at least 5 years.

Does anyone know whether on the return to the UK, there are certain rights that you lose ?
I say this because someone mentioned to me, that you lose your right to NHS treatment (and your NHS number) if you have been out of the UK for 5 years or more.

Also, what about your right to vote (although I am not as bothered about this one). ???

Are there any other areas that I need to think about with being away long term ?

Any help on this matter would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:58 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, the only thing that the government would question is if you wanted to claim any social benefits.

They have what they call a "habitual resident test"

You have to prove through evidence that you habitually live in the uk and not now and then LOL

Good luck
Luke (Neil NSW)
Old Sep 15th 2003, 5:06 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rights lost when away from UK > 5 years ?

Originally posted by mackabee
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with this question...

We are moving over to Australia next month, and are planning to live there for at least 5 years.

Does anyone know whether on the return to the UK, there are certain rights that you lose ?
I say this because someone mentioned to me, that you lose your right to NHS treatment (and your NHS number) if you have been out of the UK for 5 years or more.

Also, what about your right to vote (although I am not as bothered about this one). ???

Are there any other areas that I need to think about with being away long term ?

Any help on this matter would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon
Can help with the first question. It's a proposal at the moment. Has already been discussed on a previous thread
here if you want to take a look.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been on the phone about the voting thing - apparently you can vote by postal vote for 25 years after leaving......!

As for the NHS entitlement; the proposal is aimed at stopping people who live abroad from using it for free. I think if you actually came back here to live, and you are a British citizen, you'd be entitled to use it with no problems.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help there everyone.

It does worry me a bit, the way the NHS is going down the drain in this country.
My dad has been waiting 15 months for a heart operation, and still no sign of an operation date yet.

I think I will work it, that I come back just under the 5 years just in case !!

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Paint him dirty, place rag on head pretend not to understand english. That should get him to the front of the que, and chances are he will come out to a new 3 bed council house.

Colin
Old Sep 16th 2003, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Youre right there Colin.

They would probably sort him out with a brand new car
and £200 a week benefits !!

Jon