Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

We have a skilled independent visa (wife is nurse & midwife).....can live and work anywhere in Oz.....which I think means we get residency straight away?

If that is right, are we entitled to:

child benefit (if so, how much for 3 kids)
first home grant (if so how much is that)

any restrictions on this......like if we had $1m in the bank (which we haven't)
or have a higher rate tax payer - which we might have.

thanks
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

Yep, thats right

The child benifit is means tested and availiable if you earn under a hundred grand. It comes down the higher you earn.

The HBG is avaliable to all. Be prepared that some people on here will try to make you feel bad about it
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Yep, thats right

The child benifit is means tested and availiable if you earn under a hundred grand. It comes down the higher you earn.

The HBG is avaliable to all. Be prepared that some people on here will try to make you feel bad about it
How much is the home buyers grant......does it vary by area ?

Is the child benefit on a sliding scale.......where can I find how much it is in NSW?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
How much is the home buyers grant......does it vary by area ?

Is the child benefit on a sliding scale.......where can I find how much it is in NSW?

Many thanks.
Sliding scale, yes i think thats what i ment

The grant does very state to state, have you googled re the addresses?? I don't have them but know a man that will......

ABCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD????????????????????? ???????????
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

I can google with the best of em me

Try this

http://www.homeloan-plus.com.au/first-home.htm

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/inter...t/payments-ccb
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for these links.....

Got me wondering though....

Do you only get child benefit if your kids go to approved child care facilities for whcih you have to pay ?.

What if we don't need child care.......'cos wife doesn't work......can we still get child benefit to spend on fags and booze ?.....

(red rag to a bull..............awaiting the onslaught.........)
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:48 am
ABCDiamond

I don't have them but know a man that will......

ABCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD????????????????????? ???????????
A couple of examples of the 2004/2005 FTB allowances: from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $346.22 per fortnight or $9,026.45 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $266.28 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $79.94 per fortnight.

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $128.94 per fortnight or $3,361.65 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $128.94 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $157.64 per fortnight or $4,109.90 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $42.98 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $114.66 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $42.98 per fortnight or $1,120.55 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $42.98 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5-13, Joint Income of $504,000. One wage $500,000 and 2nd wage $4,000
Possible Family Assistance of $79.94 per fortnight or $2084.15 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A - NIL (over income threshold)
Family Tax Benefit Part B - $79.94 per fortnight.

This benefit is tax free. The rates are a bit higher in the current tax year.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... *Free loader alert* ...

... Email sent to DIMIA ...

We have a skilled independent visa (wife is nurse & midwife).....can live and work anywhere in Oz.....which I think means we get residency straight away?

If that is right, are we entitled to:

child benefit (if so, how much for 3 kids)
first home grant (if so how much is that)

any restrictions on this......like if we had $1m in the bank (which we haven't)
or have a higher rate tax payer - which we might have.

thanks
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:51 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for these links.....

Got me wondering though....

Do you only get child benefit if your kids go to approved child care facilities for whcih you have to pay ?.

What if we don't need child care.......'cos wife doesn't work......can we still get child benefit to spend on fags and booze ?.....

(red rag to a bull..............awaiting the onslaught.........)
Child Care Benefit is different yet again, and is paid in the form of a discount, direct to the Child Care Centre.

Family Tax Benefit FBT is the same type of thing as the UK Child Benefit.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Child Care Benefit is different yet again, and is paid in the form of a discount, direct to the Child Care Centre.

Family Tax Benefit FBT is the same type of thing as the UK Child Benefit.
I see......thanks for this.

My kids are 8, 8 and 9 and only need child care for after school clubs and perhaps in holidays.....ASSUMING my wife works. Right now in the UK we get zero assistance for this directly but it costs me £65 a week during school term. (They go 3 days a week from 3-6). School holidays is very very expensive having 3 kids.

Now, the UK child benefit (paid direct to my wife......hmmmm).....that is around £120 a month and is not means tested. We use this for school uniforms, shoes and stuff directly for them (sports mainly). This is what I was wondering about in Oz.

I have a fear that we will lose the lot if I earn, say $90k per annum and my wife works part time.

Still......if I don't pay a huge mortgage like here I could be quids in but this is the dream that may not be reality.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

I have a fear that we will lose the lot if I earn, say $90k per annum and my wife works part time.

Still......if I don't pay a huge mortgage like here I could be quids in but this is the dream that may not be reality.
Go to this link http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm

then go down to "Family Assistance" in the green table area, and select option 3 "3. Estimate Family Assistance (no logon required)." and enter your variables, and you get the current figures that will apply to your circumstances.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice
Wink Re: Is this right re :child benefit, house grant, etc

The home buyers grant is that only for people who have never bought a house anywhere or just Australia. I guess what I am asking is can you apply for this if you have owned a house in the UK.

Not money grabbing just interested !!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bex 66
The home buyers grant is that only for people who have never bought a house anywhere or just Australia. I guess what I am asking is can you apply for this if you have owned a house in the UK.

Not money grabbing just interested !!
Current info from: http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

The broad principles of the grant are:

Eligible applicants from 1 July 2000 are entitled to a one-off $7,000 payment.

Eligible applicants must be natural persons, who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, who are buying or building their first home in Australia.

To qualify for assistance, neither the applicant nor their spouse (or de facto) must have owned a home prior to 1 July 2000, either jointly, separately or with some other person.

Neither the applicant nor their spouse (or de facto) must have owned and occupied a home after 1 July 2000.

Neither the applicant nor their spouse (or de facto) must have claimed this grant previously.

Entering into a binding contract or commencement of building, in the case of owner-builders, must have occurred on or after 1 July 2000.

An eligible home will be located in Australia and will be a new or established house, home unit, flat or other type of self contained fixed dwelling that lawfully can be used as a place of residence.

An eligible home must be occupied by the applicant(s) as their principal place of residence within 12 months of completion of construction or settlement of the home.

Application for the grant must be made within 12 months of completion of construction or settlement of the home.

Assistance will not be means tested.

There is no tax payable on the grant.

Joint applicants will be restricted to a single application for a single property and only one payment of $7,000 will be made.

Grants have been paid to people who have previously owned a home in other countries, as long as they haven't in Australia.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

[

Thankyou so much for that information, I didn't know that that existed.

Is it frowned upon for expats to take this grant up ?????
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Three Legs
... *Free loader alert* ...

... Email sent to DIMIA ...

I guess the fact you have 3 legs is why you keep putting your foot in it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.